Microsoft-Activision-Blizzard Discussion Thread |OT3| - Sony bends the knee!

I think we’ve arrived at the same result with a different path.

Microsoft vs Sony. Became irrelevant. They only needed Sonys arrogance and a fleeting Nintendo contract.

The FTC had no case. It should have been unchallenged. They did challenge. They loss because they have no case.

The EU and China acted as expected.

3 Likes

We’re perhaps getting close to a positive outcome but it’s been a far bumpier road than expected, and Microsoft has had to offer up more than they likely initially planned. I don’t imagine when they first offered Sony a 3 year contract that they thought they’d be fighting an ugly (and likely expensive) court battle, making 10 year deals with multiple parties as well as various other promises in court, concessions in the EU and even now reportedly looking at divestiture as a solution to move forward.

2 Likes

I can probably write a forum bot that posts negative crap after every new piece of info comes out in this thread, might save some people some time.

Yes this has been a rollercoaster but that also implies things have changed both good and bad, when people keep sticking to the exact same negative script no matter what new info comes out then that is trolling and or doom posting.

Be a human and process the information as it comes in and adjust accordingly, some people just need to knock it off with the predictable negative replies to EVERY piece of news that comes out on this.

1 Like

Even though I do agree with you that at this point pessimism and doom posting is plain dumb, since everything points to a positive outcome, having the whole forum consider this a done deal since day one turns us into an echo chamber, I hate echo chambers they are the enemy of any type of progress. When nothing is certain, different opinions should be welcome not frowned upon.

3 Likes

Naw this is the L we all warned a certain user that he was going to have to own when the time came. He’s doubling down and doesn’t need defenders. He said he would own it when I expressed concern over his 10,000 negative posts. Many of us kept silent but, now is not the time to claim the victim card. Take the L @Zappy5 then we can all move on. :peace_symbol::laughing:

No one wants an echo chamber but parroting negative crap at every turn is just as bad, people just need to learn to process the information as it comes in and adjust their expectations accordingly.

Right now it is not in anyway logical to be a negative nilly on this, after the CMA block yea that was concerning and probably warranted a step back for some but this situation has changed dramatically since then and the world got to see the FTC fall flat trying to form a legal argument against this.

People just need to use their brain in the NOW and form better discussions based on the NOW and get over what PTSD they had because of the CMA crap.

As we have seen they are not this all powerful group that has no ability to adjust and or be held accountable. It’s quite clear the CAT was going to tear them up if this got to them in the state it was given their recent comments.

1 Like

Just end damnit. End it.

7 Likes

Well put. This place seems to get overly close to being an echo chamber at times and any opinion that can be remotely construed as negative (which isn’t the same as ACTUALLY being negative, just anything that doesn’t fit with others blind optimism) gets labelled as doom posting or trolling or described as having all sorts of other malicious intent behind it.

We’re all here because we like Xbox and want to discuss Xbox among other likeminded people - but we should be above such blind fanboyism and be able to maturely handle it when others don’t share in our opinions. I mean, it’s what people here call out other forums for oh so often isn’t it?

It’s also funny that the same person people want to claim is a negative troll, as they point out above, seems to share in many of our opinions that the deal will likely close in Microsoft’s favour fairly soon. Blind negativity indeed.

3 Likes

Not only that, but today’s Luke Plunkett’s final article for Kotaku. For those with long memories, Luke Plunkett tweeted that Xbox fans were the worst gaming community out there.

3 Likes

What a way to go out.

5 Likes

Isn’t Plunkett the guy that compared not getting review codes to Nazi Germany or some shit?

1 Like

The xbox Fan community has plenty of bad eggs but you have to be completely blind to think its the “worst” gaming community

3 Likes

I didn’t get that you were referring to zappy in particular, seemed to me you were bunching everyone who was on the fence since the beginning together, my bad. He did kinda rub in his takes a lot but I didn’t personally mind, maybe not till now because now it feels like the CMA, FTC, MS, ABK, all know this is a done deal at this point, no reason to doubt anything.

2 Likes

I just saw this, but not posted here. What’s this?

https://twitter.com/NextGenPlayer/status/1679649706631131137?s=20

Hunter once again misinterpreting the situation, thats just the judge standing by her decision she already made; we are still waiting on the appeal court

9 Likes

From my understanding they needed to appeal to the judge who ruled against them previously in order to move up to a wider appeal (which is what they are currently doing). This happened yesterday and is pretty much as everyone wouls have expected, we’re still waiting to find out the response of the main appeal.

1 Like

Pro-tip: Read the thread before you start posting. Turns out all this stuff is discussed in detail if you just read before your start typing/posting twitter trash.

14 Likes

An eco-chamber on any forum is bad, however, when you look at this acquisition and go through it with a fine tooth comb, there’s literally nothing there as to why it should be stopped. The best valid legal argument is cloud and that’s 20 years away and who knows if it takes off or if Microsoft stays with it for that long. But this is trying to predict the future which no one especially regulators can do so instead, a few (FTC and CMA) continue to grasp at straws hoping, wishing and praying that Microsoft/ABK walk away. Microsoft isn’t walking away nor should they.

Brazil got it 100% accurate last October and every other regulator should have just followed suit because again, there’s nothing here. Oh no, it hurts Sony. Too bad. That’s what competition is all about as Sony knows all too well.

When you have 39 out of 42 regulators approving the acquisition with no restrictions while 1 came to terms with concessions (EU) and you have 2 others just being a pain in the ass for literally no valid or legal reason, there comes a time when you need to just accept the loss and move on.

If a nobody like me can see -

Microsoft with 20% market share worldwide and Sony with 80%. Microsoft 3rd in consoles, 4th if you include PC. PC in general, Steam dominates. Mobile is like what under 1% for Microsoft while Apple and Google have a duopoly. And cloud is 20+ years away from being “the thing” and that’s only if it takes off and Microsoft actually keeps investing into it and making it grow until then, then every regulator should see that there’s nothing here.

And this is all before Microsoft is handing out 10 year legally binding contracts like candy. Seriously, this shit needs to end. UGH.

20 Likes

Could have sworn he’s a PS fan. I mean nothing wrong on reporting non-PS news, but not exactly accurate.

2 Likes

yeah he is that is why his reaction is surprising