Microsoft-Activision-Blizzard Discussion Thread |OT3| - Sony bends the knee!

Brexit is very much a working class driven thing and any motivation in a post Brexit world is to try and make the working class happy.

So I think the last part of your assessment is flawed.

In the U.K. few people care either way about this deal. That’s the reality.

1 Like

The deal has no impact on them, but a rolling effect on the investment in UK could hurt them.

As for the Brexit discussion above, I think UK had more power in EU, because EU wanted to please UK at all costs when they were there (to prove EU was working). Now the power they have now being alone seems to me illusory.

It’s definitely a working class movement but how everyone deals with it afterwards is different. From where I’m at I see a lot of UK attitudes, particularly among the political elite, looking the reestablish the global power the British empire and then EU gave them.

So from my perspective it’s hard to tell how much of this fight is over legit competition concerns, how much is a regulator that’s trying to play with the big guys and may have gotten itself outplayed by Sony/FTC influences and how much is British political society trying to reestablish themselves as a global force in trade.

1 Like

Totally unrelated but I find it crazy that Stockton Rush was in videos saying he broke rules to make his death submersible and that didn’t make a single regulatory alarm go off, like that seems to be one of the things regulators would be justified to go crazy on to make sure it’s safe and enforce heavy fines if laws are being violated… yet not a single one had a concern about what they were doing over there…? but this acquisition has made some of the supposedly most important regulators in the world lose their goddamn minds.

Wasn’t the problem there that while there are standards and processes associated with submersables - he was diving in international water and therefore was legally free to ignore them?

1 Like

I find it extremely hard to believe that MS would find out the decision the same time everyone else would

I would wager money that theyve known for at lwast a few days now

3 Likes

Tomorrow Will be the day?

3 Likes

I don’t know, all I’ve heard is how they hadn’t been regulated yet, seems like something that should be anyway.

I remember Lulu deleting a tweet the day before the CMA’s decision, so at the least she knew, there has not been any of that this time around, it’s possible that Microsoft knows I guess but hasn’t made it public yet.

Hopefully.

1 Like

Haha, yeah we really want this shit over with, that’s for sure. Hopefully something tomorrow finally. But if not, that deadline is the 18th this month, if I’m not mistaken. So at least we know something then will happen.

How about just stop worrying about it? Even if the PI is denied and MS closes it’s not “over”. The possibility of needing to unwind the whole thing will carry on until the FTC gives up or loses in federal court. Which could go on for years.

I think if the PI is denied the deal is likely to be closed.

I don´t think MS will be okay with the CMA screwing such a massive deal up for the sake of it. They will come up with something, I reckon.

5 Likes

Yeah, but if the FTC doesn’t get a PI it will certainly not win in court. This PI is making or killing this deal. If it is denied, every other court battle would happen in the background as Microsoft already closed the acquisition.

3 Likes

it certainly feels that way, does the CMA actually have proof that the cloud market is a “fast growing market” like they claimed? because it certainly doesn’t seem that way, I personally don’t believe that even with this deal it would grow rapidly or would be a viable way to play games any time soon, 25+ years from now? probably.

1 Like

It is simply the excuse they were left with after dropping the console one.

4 Likes

They have already proven that they don’t mind wasting time and money. I wouldn’t take the low chances of success as a sign they won’t continue to pursue it.

2 Likes

And they still made that claim, I imagine that they would have to prove it during the appeal.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/peterovo5/status/1678164897950052352?s=46&t=O_AGT9SEnlptKOF_2SxtqQ

I sensed this week will be a wild ride.

Edited: Well, this was posted a while back. Even so, this week I still believe this will be wild.

2 Likes

I’m not doubting that they will continue to pursue it. This is probably the most likely scenario. What I’m saying is that the court battle at this stage won’t affect gamers and probably won’t make it into the news.

5 Likes

I expect Xbox to lay low for a year or two anyways (until some of the smoke clears on the deal). So I guess FTC can waste more time trying to pester Microsoft but in truth Xbox was probably going to quiet acquisition’s down anyway.

That isn’t accurate, and I completely disagree. Whatever benefits the gamer gets out of the deal closing in the short term can be removed long term if the FTC, somehow, wins. A prolonged court battle hangs over the whole thing until it all concludes. That isn’t even taking into account whatever shenanigans continue in the UK.

I think we can both acknowledge how slim those chances are if the PI is denied, but it isn’t an impossibility.

The best case scenario is if the FTC drops it if the PI is denied. Unfortunately, that is as unlikely as them winning long term. Which all comes back to my original comment “just don’t worry about any of it”. If it all goes the way it should, cool, long term benefits to xbox users. If it doesn’t, well, nothing really changes from what we already have and Xbox moves on and makes different moves.