Microsoft-Activision-Blizzard Discussion Thread |OT2| The NeverEnding Acquisition

18 Likes

I think they are confusing Microsofts earliest closing date with fhe EUs decision date.

1 Like

Sony said it themselves. When a game launches ln gamepass its a defacto exclusive, so what if in 5 years, 20 out of every years 30 biggest games launch on gamepass? Disasterous for Sony imo.

1 Like

I mean that’s true, but that’s assuming cod will remain the top fps.

This acquisition is purely a revenue generator for Microsoft. Zenimax was for the hardcore etc. They could easily do another zenimax like acquisition and this will affect ps fans more as those IPs would go exclusive.

Abk stuff will probably stay multiplat.

2 Likes

I’ll give CMA this. They sure have patience.

8 Likes

Agreed. Microsoft response seems to have dismantled all the CMA’s arguments including the SLC at least according to Foss. Florian Mueller on Twitter: “The #Microsoft filing that the #CMA released today doesn’t just poke holes into the provisional findings, or blast holes into them. It annihilates the whole foreclosure theory. It may be very hard to appeal CMA decisions, but when the CMA is completely off base, it’ll happen.” / Twitter If this was to go to CAT that would give a black eye to the CMA as Microsoft would be accusing the CMA of protecting Sony. That might probably make the CMA look corrupt and might force the government’s hand on maybe restructuring.

1 Like

In the UK Xbox and Playstation and virtually neck and neck in market share.

In the EU that is very much NOT the case.

So it does make sense for the EU to drop console market and VG distribution concerns. I think given the market difference that the UK is a potentially different calculation - so I think it is still possible for there to be a difference with the CMA there.

There is still a 12% difference is market share for current gen. Theres an even larger difference for install base in general, approaching 15%. With a less than 4% switching rate there is no reasonable expectation for a significant lessening of competition in the gaming market. Their survey as Microsoft has shown has even overestimated switching rates.

7 Likes

“Neck and neck”?

7 Likes

Not only that, but with the shortage of PS5’s the past few years, we don’t know the true demand. The UK console sales the past few months has shown that the discrepancy is surely to widen. Acting as if Xbox & PS are neck & neck is just flat out wrong & questionable how anyone can make such a claim.

12 Likes

Day before deal being blocked - not fair they are neck to neck in UK, it is close.

Day after deal being blocked - omg ps5 keeps destroying Xbox in UK, at this point Xbox is pretty much done there.

Sony should never be given the weight some regulators are giving to them. They pretty much brought this situation to themselves due to a policy of lack of innovation.

Ironically, they say the deal will hold back innovation, but lets look at their 1st party portfolio. Although successful, it is 90% based on 3rd person adventures. With MS funding, Activision can incetivate other studios to work in different franchises, other than COD.

Sony also has Destiny, which is pretty big on consoles and also on Steam, they could choose to invest on it aka MS plans with COD. They could build a more diverse portfolio instead of money hatting 3rd party to keep games out of other plataforms.

Sony has no right to talk about innovation.

2 Likes

I’ll give ya an A for effort, though.

9 Likes

All of this tells me MS will probably end up having the ability to stop releasing COD on Playstation sooner than most expected (and some wanted), maybe at the point of the benefits of bringing more people to the Xbox ecosystem outweighing possible PS sales lost.

CoD will always be on PS as long as there is a community for the game. They aren’t trying to pull a fast one on the regulators & public, they’ve meant from day 1 that CoD will be on PS.

2 Likes

Although a certain poster will melt down after reading this, I don’t think that the CMA will get tired of Sony, they seem to be their partner in crime.

Extremely hypothetical, what if Microsoft does pull a fast one and say, “Just kidding” and take everything away? How will you honestly feel?

Like they are competing harder in the console gaming space, but will lose trust in their statements. I honestly cant see them doing it because it would decrease trust amongst regulators even if nothing was signed. They have been very publicly emphatic about not taking COD away from Playstation. This is something that would impact future acquisitions and not just in gaming.

4 Likes

Hardly a fast one. Jim Ryan doesn’t want to renew a contract for CoD. Phil will give Jim what he wants.

1 Like