Microsoft-Activision-Blizzard Discussion Thread |OT2| The NeverEnding Acquisition

9 Likes

To be fair to them Killzone been dead since 2016 lol

2 Likes

Weird, is Sony getting desperate to block this deal or is Microsoft posting this because the news wasn’t as positive as they hoped? Seems unlikely it’s the latter but seems weird for someone on the Microsoft to make a public comment like this when they should know how the EC is leaning by now.

Ultimately though the EC isn’t stupid, this is a fairly blatant lie when Microsoft has clearly offered parity across platforms, have provided parity on multiplatform games in the past without it being demanded and when even if the EC DID doubt Microsoft on this issue they’re entirely capable of ensuring it through concessions.

Everytime Sony meets with regulators it probably pays to clear the air and set the record straight.

8 Likes

Seems more like tired of this non-sense. I mean we’re going circle because of Sony. It was straightforward with Bethesda; here, they’re making it like someone ordered a nuke.

5 Likes

Yeah, it is very strange that he would tweet this out. I mean not as weird as Sony broadcasting boldfaced lies, or the EC entertaining Sony and not outright dismissing them though.

I’m very shocked by the regulatory process thus far at the big three, all organizations have displayed severe lack of ethics.

1 Like
8 Likes

Why do people think the Lead communications officer for MS shouldn’t be speaking about this? Those meetings between Jim and the EC aren’t under NDA lol. Moreover, why do forum goers pretend to know the “etiquette” surrounding these billion dollar acquisitions?

10 Likes

Where does etiquette come into it? If Microsoft have recieved the statement of objections then some kind of a preliminary decision on the matter has already been made and both Microsoft and the EC already roughly know how this will play out.

It doesn’t really matter if Sony made some last ditch play to block the deal, and there’s nothing to be gained with the EC by making a public comment on the matter. This is perhaps the most important day for Microsoft in deciding how the rest of all of this will play out, and the only information we have so far is a Microsoft employee criticising Sony for being deceptive. I find that interesting, so I’m curious about the strategy behind it, if there is one.

I see that Phil Spencer liked Frank’s tweets

13 Likes

If Phil liked then i Liked.

7 Likes

Very stupid and/or desperate move by Sony. Of course you are found out and your lies debunked immediately in public.

1 Like

I just dont understand why this tweet would go out unless they are that upset by the statement of objections?

Could this signal that the EC is saying they need a structural resolution to preserve competition because all the shit the Sony is saying?

Who knows at this point. Honestly i just want it to end.

4 Likes

Yeah that’s what I wondered, it reminds me of the sort of statements they were making around the time things went south with the FTC. Microsoft should be running a victory lap internally right now, if the EC is willing to let this through with concessions then it’s just the CMA and then they can push the FTC to settle. This kind of response right now seems odd.

But I’m probably just overthinking it and it’s all totally fine. I mean we just had a report the other day that the EC was leaning towards letting the deal through with concessions in December and Phil seemed plenty confident in that recent interview. There seems to be no reason for any major concern. But hey, what is this thread for but wildly speculating and overthinking things.

1 Like

Okay. So let me air a possibility. Perhaps Sony is calling for full parity in offerings for COD, which would include COD on PS Plus Day 1. That would seem to be the last parity card that they could play in my eyes. Basically, saying either COD can’t be on gamepass or it needs to also be on PS Plus.

First if regulators were to buy that line of tjinking, that would be insane to me, however, I think it would be in Microsoft’s benefit to concede it and put COD on PS Plus (just that top tier they say competes with Gamepass) Day 1 by default, no atrings attached. That sounds crazy, right? Well, I think it actually would advance Microsofts goals in the industry.

• It strengthens a competitor in the subscription service model, which helps subscription services become mainstays in the industry.
  • It likely grows PS Plus and makes conversations with regulators easier in the future in terms of market share of cloud/subscription services.
  • COD expands its audience even further by being even more accessible.
  • Microtransactions are the bigger deal and this expands the audience that may pay for them.
  • Yearly titles may taper off anyways and COD Warzone is the big money maker for consoles (which is already f2p). You arent really sacrificing the big chunk of revenue from COD.
  • It damages Sony, who doesn’t want subscription services to take off as they prefer selling single games.

If this is indeed what has happened, then Microsoft should not back away now. What theyve done is put Sony in a no win scenario and they are very close to the end. Microsoft however, can lose the scenario if they get rejected by the EC/CMA, so now is time to accept the win that you were able to get even though its not perfect.

Since it’s getting quite a lot attention, it’s better to just clarify you stance publicly than hearsay from some unknown source. I guess that’s why he’s talking.

4 Likes

Can’t understand what sense of parity Sony is seeking unless it’s they can put it on ps plus which. Microsoft would have the legal documents of what they’ve offered Sony so they could really counter using that.

I agree it would be weird for government to expect MS to give Sony cod free on ps plus but think of it this way…

It would prevent Sony from making their own fps popular, so it’s shooting them in the foot long term, and once the 10 years is up good luck to Sony.

It’s also good that the discussion centers around cod, make everything else exclusive !

Where did this free talk about PS+ come from? Its not free for microsoft to put it on GP, im not even talking about the aquisition cost but dev cost as well.

I dont see that being a concession talking point at all.

11 Likes