Microsoft-Activision-Blizzard Discussion Thread |OT2| The NeverEnding Acquisition

I wonder if either of them point out the differences in subscriptions such as day and date, constant third party/indie deals etc. I assume not.

I get both their stances, google wants to remain on top and Nividia wants CoD on its subscription because everyone else is getting it.

Honestly not to be a downer but I think all 3 places will block this deal. I picture it as if it’s me asking my grandparent for a new 2023 released video game and them come back with snakes and ladders 2nd hand board game. They just don’t understand the market or what you’ve asked for.

I’d rather it go through after all this but I don’t see it, fingers crossed I’m wrong.

1 Like

You started it, Sony. Going to use Forspoken to back it up?

10 Likes

I still fail to understand how cloud gaming is a concern when there isnt even a profitable market. Additionally, xbox doesnt even sell cloud gaming its just a component of their gamepass offering.

13 Likes

What does Subpoena means ?

1 Like

It’s a legal document requiring the submittal of requested information and/or a person being subpoenaed to appear in court. This seems to be for information in this case.

The FTC case is highly dependent on markets they are establishing that are just Sony and Microsoft so it would make sense that Microsoft subpoenaed relevant information to make their case against the FTC.

4 Likes

Isnt this old?

Maybe overreacting after NPD results but kinda feeling like this deal is critical for Xbox now, even if they don’t get exclusives having full association eventually with COD and Blizzard games would be huge for the brand.

1 Like

Sony doesn’t want to provide documents and/or witnesses Microsoft requested in Federal Trade Commission adjudicative proceeding regarding its Activision Blizzard deal

On Wednesday, I wrote that Sony may live to regret the market definition and theory of harm it espouses in connection with Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision Blizzard King (NASDAQ:ATVI), and that “the top three priorities for third-party interrogatories and depositions will be Sony, Sony, and Sony.” Today it turned out that Sony–despite all of its efforts to lobby regulatory authorities over the deal–is indeed uncomfortable with its obligations as a highly relevant third party to the Federal Trade Commission’s in-house adjudicative proceeding as well as the private antitrust lawsuit in the Northern District of California that is going forward in parallel.

Link

Ooof, good read.

10 Likes

Can Sony actually quash the subpoena when its entirely relevant to discovery and continue to oppose the case. That would be beyond disingenious.

1 Like

Hilarious. Sony has backed themselves into a corner.

Looks like this week is going to be huge for Xbox and the ABK deal. Hopefully any news doesn’t overshadow the massive developer direct.

6 Likes

Not directly related to the case, but the political atmosphere in the white house is of interest for the Microsoft and ABK deal. Biden got a new chief of staff who’s background is thriving in big business and he even has a position on the Facebook board of directors. Jeff Zients is very pro business and was likely selected due to his experience leading the last major budget negotiations standoff.

Anyway the guy was on the wrong side of several ftc and doj antitrust lawsuits, so he’s definitely not going to be a fan.

1 Like

Yeah this wasnt explained, how does it affect the case?

4 Likes
1 Like

Forget March for stacked game lineup, April is stacked with approval determination.

8 Likes

even more reasons to not block the deal

4 Likes

Seems Mike Ybarra liked stack ranking at Microsoft very much and continues this at Blizzard. Not a good look.

4 Likes

I remember Kotick himself was noted as having messed with the development of Overwatch 2, continually shifting developers back and forth between other projects that were quickly scrapped. This is why I am optimistic for Blizzard under Microsoft - just by being hands off and giving them creative freedom I think we’ll see huge improvements to Blizzard as far as games output goes.

1 Like

But to hell with that, we need to think about CoD, according to Sony and FTC.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/BrianBirming/status/1617688538568622084?s=20

13 Likes