Marvel's Avengers |OT| Not Anyone Can Wear the Mask (Wakanda Forever!)

Description

Marvel’s Avengers is an epic, third-person, action-adventure game that combines an original, cinematic story with single-player and co-operative gameplay. Assemble into a team of up to four players online, master extraordinary abilities, customize a growing roster of Heroes, and defend the Earth from escalating threats.

Factsheet

Versions

Standard Edition
Price: $59.99
Format: Physical and Digital
Content: Main game
Where to buy (digital): PlayStation Store, Microsoft Store and Steam
Where to buy (physical): Amazon

Exclusive Digital Edition
Price: $69.99
Format: Digital
Content: Main game, a unique Ms. Marvel nameplate, 1,000 credits and 72-hour early access
Where to buy: PlayStation Store

Deluxe Edition
Price: $79.99
Format: Physical and Digital
Content: Main game, the Obsidian Outfit pack, Obsidian-themed nameplates and 72-our early access
Where to buy (digital): PlayStation Store, Microsoft Store and Steam
Where to buy (physical): Amazon

Earth’s Mightiest Edition
Price: $199.99
Format: Physical
Content: The Deluxe Edition, a full color 12" statue of Captain America, an exclusive Steelbok, a Hulk Bobblehead, a Mjolnir Keychain, Black Widow’s Belt Buckle, the Iron Man Prototype Armor Blueprints, Kamala Khan’s Honorary Avenger Pin and a commemorative Avengers group photo
Where to buy: Amazon

Story

Marvel’s Avengers begins at A-Day, as San Francisco celebrates the opening of an Avengers West Coast Headquarters and an all-new helicarrier, powered by new experimental technology. The day turns tragic when a terrible accident results in mass destruction. Blamed for the tragedy, the Avengers disband.

Iron Man, Hulk, Black Widow, and Thor blame themselves for the mass devastation and the loss of Captain America. In the five years following A-Day, the team’s absence has devastating consequences worldwide. A new organization has risen - Advanced Idea Mechanics, otherwise known as AIM. AIM believes that science – not Super Heroes – is the key to protecting the world.

A teenager Kamala finds herself developing extraordinary polymorphic and healing powers as a direct result of exposure to Terrigen Mists during the A-day incident. With the Avengers disbanded and Advanced Idea Mechanics turning public sentiment against Super Heroes, Kamala hides her abilities from the world.

Kamala’s unwavering loyalty to the Avengers, intelligence, inquisitive nature, and ever-optimistic personality lead to a huge discovery when she uncovers a shocking conspiracy. As Kamala learns to harness and embrace her powers, she finds the will and the way to reassemble Earth’s Mightiest Heroes.

Characters

Captain America / Steve Rogers

In an effort to develop an army of enhanced troops during World War II, a secret initiative of the US government injected Steve Rogers with an experimental Super-Soldier Serum, granting him the peak potential of human strength, endurance, and dexterity. Donning a red, white & blue uniform and armed with a Vibranium shield, Rogers fought the Axis Powers as Captain America, a defender of the innocent, and the Living Legend of World War II. Accidentally frozen in ice at the end of the war, Rogers’ body was recovered and thawed out by the Avengers, who he then joined and eventually led. Following the traumatic events of A-Day, the Avengers are shattered by his shocking sacrifice.

Iron Man / Tony Stark

Tony Stark: billionaire, genius, inventor, philanthropist. Once the world’s leading weapons manufacturer, a brush with death forced Stark to rethink his values and realize he could put his prodigious talents to better use. As a result, he developed his cutting edge Iron Man armor and helped found the Avengers – Earth’s Mightiest Heroes united to protect the world against catastrophic threats. After the terrible events of A-Day and the Avengers’ disbandment, a bitter Stark longs to blast back into action – and for redemption.

Black Widow / Natasha Romanoff

Raised from an early age in the top-secret Soviet Red Room program, Natasha Romanoff is the Black Widow, a dangerous super spy and master in the arts of espionage, subversion, and combat. Though she was trained as a government assassin, she ultimately defected from her original keepers and joined the Avengers to right the wrongs of her past, vowing to use her highly specialized skillset and signature Widow’s Bite to protect the innocent. After the A-Day tragedy, Natasha goes undercover to help the victims of A-Day and clear the Avengers’ name.

Thor Odinson

Legend tells of the son of Odin, heir to the otherworldly throne of Asgard – he is the mighty Thor, the God of Thunder! He found a second home on earth among the Avengers and devoted himself to protecting his adopted home from evil. With his enchanted hammer Mjolnir, Thor vanquishes any foes who may threaten his allies. After the events of A-Day, he no longer feels worthy of Mjolnir and leaves it behind for a humble life serving the people of Earth.

The Hulk / Bruce Banner

A massive dose of gamma radiation transformed the brilliant but meek scientist Dr. Bruce Banner into the jade giant known as the Hulk. When he reaches his emotional limit, Banner transforms into an immense, rage-fueled beast with superhuman strength, endurance and durability. The Hulk constantly battles with uncontrollable anger, but is a fierce companion on the battlefield. Not long after the tragic events at A-Day, Bruce Banner retreats into a permanent state as the Hulk, withdrawing to an abandoned Helicarrier in Utah and isolating himself from society.

Ms. Marvel / Kamala Khan

A whip smart Pakistani American young woman with an optimistic personality, Kamala Khan is fueled by a profound desire for positive change and is determined to combat injustice wherever she finds. Kamala has been an Avengers fan girl since she was a child – besides thinking they are just cool, she admires them (and especially Captain Marvel) because they represent the best humanity has to offer – and on a deeper level, they inspire her to become the best version of herself. Kamala was exposed to Terrigen Mist during A-Day, which activated the dormant Inhuman genes within her, awakening her healing factor and polymorphic powers. She’s been hiding her abilities for years, but soon adventure will call her to action from her home in Jersey City and inspire her to become a hero in her own right.

Post-Launch Characters

Hawkeye / Kate Bishop

Kate Bishop will be the first new Hero introduced to Marvel’s Avengers after its launch. Kate’s Operation, “Taking AIM,” kicks off in late October featuring a new villain and new mystery. Bishop, who is mentored by Clint Barton, comes with distinct Heroic Skills and takedowns that only an Olympic-caliber gymnast and master archer like Kate can pull off.

Hawkeye / Clint Barton

Kate Bishop’s Operation story is just the first half of the two Hawkeyes’ Story Arc. Clint Barton’s Hawkeye takes the stage in November to complete the double-feature and lay the groundwork for what’s next.

Spider-Man / Peter Parker

(PlayStation Exclusive)

Crystal Dynamics’ own take on Spider-Man is coming to Marvel’s Avengers on early 2021 exclusively on PlayStation.

Beta

The Beta will be available in the following dates:

• August 7-9: PlayStation Advantage Closed BETA: The first BETA weekend will be available for those who have pre-ordered Marvel’s Avengers on PlayStation 4. Pre-load will be available on August 6.
  • August 14-16: PlayStation Advantage Open BETA & Xbox/PC Closed BETA: The second BETA weekend will be open to the entire PS4 community as part of the PlayStation Advantage partnership. Additionally, those who have pre-ordered Marvel’s Avengers on Xbox or PC will be able to jump in and play. Pre-load will be available on August 13.
  • August 21: Open BETA for All: August 21 – 23 will give all fans across all platforms a chance to jump in and play the Marvel’s Avengers BETA! Pre-load will be available on August 20.

Please head to the official Marvel’s Avengers website to check all the frequented asked questions, including details about beta progression and rewards.

PC Specs

Minimum Specs:

• CPU: i3-4160 or AMD equivalent
  • 8GB RAM
  • NVIDIA GTX 950 / AMD 270 (min 2GB video ram)
  • DirectX 12
  • 75GB HDD space

Recommended Specs:

• Windows 10 64-bit
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K, 3.4 Ghz or AMD Ryzen 51600, 3.2 Ghz
  • 16GB RAM
  • NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB or AMD Radeon RX 480, 8GB.
  • DirectX 12
  • 110GB SSD space

Screenshots

Trailers

Gameplay Videos

XboxEra Squad

I’ll try to compile a list of every XboxEra user who is playing the game and is willing to play together with other users. If you are interested, please post your Gamertag, the console you’re playing on and if you have any character preferences.

Xbox Squad:

3 Likes

Hello everyone!

This is my first try on an OT, so I hope it’s all fine.

The game isn’t out for the next couple of weeks, but as the Beta is out now for some users, I thought we could start this OT to try to gather people to play together during the Beta and when the full game releases.

I think we can use this thread to talk about general stuff about the game aswell.

Great OT Bruno.

I thought about playing the Open Beta on PS4 but I decided against it and instead, I will just wait for the full game upgrade on Xbox Series X. Not sure if im buying the game physically or digitally. Hoping Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics do a road map for after launch besides characters. Will there be story expansions, paid content, etc.

Looking forward to the game though. It seems right up my alley. Will definitely read Beta impressions and full game impressions as well.

1 Like

While Crystal Dynamics haven’t show a clear roadmap, they have detailed a bit of the post-launch plan. They said during the last War Table that the story campaign is called “Reassemble”. Following that, players will enter the “Avengers Initiative” - which is basically new story missions to recruit the new heroes which will be added.

They teased 4 new characters, with Hawkeye being one of them. We are not sure if Spider-Man fills another of those spots, and there are some theories that only 3 of those 4 teased heroes are post-launch, with one of them actually being a secret character unlocked right after the story completion (Captain Marvel, maybe?).

We know that Hawkeye will bring at least one new villain to the story. They have also teased new regions (and if I’m not mistaken, even new planets - the game has to go cosmic sometime, right?) and raid-like content.

Basically, with each new character we will have a new story. I don’t think those will be expansions like the ones for Destiny, which makes the older content obsolete. I think each new character will bring a new storyline to the table, much like the MCU with each new movie.

And as far as we know, everything besides cosmetics will be free.

Anyway, I hope you get the Xbox version so we can play together sometime :slight_smile:

I’m digging this beta quite a lot. I know it won’t review high, etc. and I am nervous about if it will get repetitive eventually after 100+ hours into grinding for gear, but overall I’m digging it a lot.

I broke down and ended up getting it on PS4 because my nephew LOVES Spider-Man and I know he will love playing it.

1 Like

The repetitive and seemingly cookie cutter nature of the co-op missions made me lose all interest until it’s on a deep sale.

That all sounds real good and if it is all free content, even better. My only worry be that since it’s free, how good and how long the free story content will be.

I am getting the Xbox version so I can play on Series X but im a pure solo single player gamer. Not into co-op or multi-player whatsoever. Thanks for the offer though. Appreciate it.

Great OP @brunopcosta1! I have no interest in the game but I’m curious if the performance is as bad as some reported.

It’s not great a times, but performance mode on the Pro seems to be good most of the time. There was one area early on with the Hulk with so many enemies and shit blowing up I could feel the framerate drop HARD.

I honestly feel like this game was built for PS5/Series X and PC and then downported to current consoles 100%. Just has that feel to it.

I played the beta on PS4 Pro and performance is quite bad.

On “resolution-mode”, I had issues shoting with ironman while flying. Camera movement was odd, slightly improved by reducing sensibility of camera but I still could feel some “pauses” when moving the camera. This was solved when I changed to “performance-mode”. But, still, FPS drop when multiple enemies are near you (worse when playing with friends). It was playable, but very noticeable.

tbh, I don’t think this will improve when I test the game on xbox one x. xonex power gap will not solve this. Feels more like a PS5/XSX game that has been scaled down.

I have not played yet as I only own an Xbox, but the frame rate did seem to drop even during the War Table livestreams. One of the directors of the game said the following on Reddit: “Don’t worry too much about frame rate, you watched a streamed video and we are still optimizing”.

But yeah, I think there’ll be some drops on current gen. For next gen they are targeting 60 FPS with a dynamic 4K resolution, with almost instant loading between wolds and missions.

1 Like

I preordered this digitally but after playing the BETA for the last 2 days I contacted Sony support in hope for a refund. The loudness of the console and the pretty poor performance are so off putting that I either go with PC day1 or wait for this game on XSX.

Pretty good game tho. The combat is mad fun and deeper than I thought.

The combat I’ve seen looks terribly repetitive. I’m going to give the open beta a go when it goes live.

I’ve got a Pro so let’s see if that will look a bit better.

Digital Foundry published a video with early impressions of the beta performance on the PS4 and PS4 Pro.

The framerate on the PS4 Pro is not locked, but it runs at a kinda stable 30 FPS with a few drops to 29 or a bit less on multiplayer (single player is nearly locked at 30 FPS). The base PS4 is not stable at all, varying all the time between 20 and 30 FPS.

The performance mode on the PS4 Pro runs at a higher framerate, but it does seem to vary a lot which does not translate into a very good experience. The game sometimes reaches ~55 FPS, which makes me think a more stable 60 FPS performance mode on next-gen might be possible.

I think we can expect the One X version running at a very, very stable 30 FPS (with the Series X version aiming for 60 FPS) on resolution mode, but I’m afraid the base Xbox One version will be nearly unplayable.

Thor’s face is soooooo bad.

Well, to be fair, Chris Hemsworth has set the bar way too high :stuck_out_tongue:

4k 60fps is confirmed for next gen consoles

Maybe native 4k and locked 60 for series x?

If I’m not mistaken the blog post says they are “targeting” 60 FPS for next-gen consoles, so I don’t think that’s a lock yet. But I do think that’s very, very likely, specially on the Series X (unless there is some weird exclusivity clause that forbids Crystal Dynamics to make the game run better on Xbox lol).

I was shocked when I saw this video. Not the same experience that I had with the beta in PS4 Pro : / Shall I assume that my ps4 pro is dying? lol

I have not played the beta yet as I pre ordered on Xbox, so I don’t know for sure, but I’ve seen some people complaining about the camera shakeness and the amount of motion blur. Maybe those effects gave an impression of lower framerate? I don’t really know