LG OLED C9 for Xbox Series X

rtings has a great comparison tool where you can see very detailed differences between different models. In addition to a different image processor between the BX and CX, the CX also outputs a brighter image. Both are fantastic options. LG BX OLED vs LG CX OLED Side-by-Side TV Comparison - RTINGS.com

3 Likes

There are some other technological differences. The GX has more powerful built-in audio (60W vs 40W, if memory serves) and has a mic built in, so you can use Alexa/Google Assistant voice controls w/o the remote or a smart speaker. I would find this useful if I didn’t already have this setup in my home. A small minority that still uses Kinect for voice controls may want to consider this. Also, according to Stop the Fomo (see YouTube video), only the GX, ZX and WX are ATSC 3.0 compatible. He provides fairly good info, but I’ve found some errors in his technical understanding from time to time, so I’d investigate this further if you anticipate using over the air signals in the future.

Just found XboxEra, this is my inaugural post. This looks like a good community. I hope I this was helpful.

4 Likes

Yes definitely useful info, thanks for taking the time to post.

I just bought an LG CX 55" 2 weeks ago in readiness for my series X. I was replacing a Samsung KS8000 which was an awesome TV but the CX is brillant.

I am confused now. I was just looking at Rtings and they say it’s a maximum of 60hz for 4K VRR. So LG has updated it then?

Just went today and got a 55" cx for $1899 in Canada don’t think it will go cheaper then that even on boxing day. Been playing on a 1080p g10 panasonic plasma. Will I be blown away?

Yes

I have a C9 and I have no info other than from that rtings table that it shouldn’t work at 4k@120Hz. Only a week and I can test it for you, if you need confirmation.

(I doubt it doesn’t work as it would violate the HDMI 2.1 specs)

At the same time I wrote that comment I saw this video on YouTube and thought "it supports it after all. But I had totally not realized it’s not G-Sync what we have on Xbox. I mean this video.

I have the C9 too by the way :wink:

I don’t worry much if we don’t get 120hz, because really, how many games are we going to see anytime soon with 4K, VRR and 120hz? Even though I believe Dirt 5 is one, I don’t think many others will follow. We’ll be OK.

I would say the solution is to just disable VRR with the games that don’t use it at all. It sucks though.

The moment I will connect my Xbox Series X I will make a picture from that screen

(this is an example of a display that does not support all HDMI 2.1 features. It is not a LG OLED C9 btw. So please do not panic!)

1 Like

That will be the one and only test. But hey if it’s not supported…not the end of the world. Aside from Dirt 5 are there any games at all at 4k@120Hz with VRR?

I have a feeling we will be OK

2 Likes

Stealth brag thread?

The new EA Star Wars squadron I just learned today (if I am not mistaken)

Edit:

Not mistaken: Squadron will have a mode on the XSX with dyn 4K at 120 fps and VRR !!!

1 Like

No

1 Like

You never know lol :smiling_face:

1 Like

All C9 owners here, did/do you have the VRR gamma issue they Vincent Teoh was talking about?

From day one I have enabled VRR on Xbox (don’t believe you can enable/disable it on the TV, it’s just there) but it seems fine here.

Got the same TV yesterday and yes, you will. I’ve only played on my PS4 at 1080p but HDR looks fantastic on games like God of War. I also watched Better Call Saul on Netflix, which looks stunning, and 1917 with Dolby Vision enabled and it looks fucking bananas. All I need now is to test some 4K HDR 120 hz gaming on Series X.

1 Like