Lg c1 or Sony a80j?

Hey.

Im planning to buy a tv for my xsx. Im confused between these two model??

What do u recommend me?

I will always say to go for LG, they just offer the most gamer centered features. Maybe I’m slightly biased because I have a C9 but it’s the best TV I’ve ever owned.

1 Like

LG C1 for gaming.

1 Like

Is the G2/C2 coming out soon?

Yes, sometime this year. Its allegedly been available since March 23rd in the EU and UK.

Do you know what’s the better set for gaming? I have a C7 and was thinking about a potential upgrade. I know there’s a G and C line, and that they’re similar but that’s about it.

The tiers of LG sets are: A, B, C, G. Where the G series is highest, the C is the next highest and A is the lowest. To me, it seems like there is no reason to look at the B series now because the cost is already so close to the C series. So now the decision comes down to what benefits does the G series provide over the C series and is it worth the higher costs.

The pricing levels weren’t always so close, where in previous years it made sense to consider the B series over the C series.

I havent really seen any reviews on C2 or G2 and how they compare to last years models the C1 fom HDTVTest or RTINGS. So C1 vs C2 or G2 is up in the air for now.

2 Likes

If you hear more into it, please share. Thanks!

What about Calibration…

I heard c1 need to be calibrated, but a80j out of the box calibration is magic

Im asking cause im bad at calibration…

Have you looked at the reviews over at Rtings? Their reviews are great, and they have specific feedback on gaming.

Below I’ve copied/pasted some tidbits, but more usecase specific ratings, comments, and pros/cons lists can be seen at the full reviews

LG C1

• Mixed usage: 8.8
  • Video games: 9.2
  • HDR gaming: 9.0

Comments on gaming overall:

The LG C1 OLED is incredible for playing video games. It has very little input lag and a near-instantaneous response time for smooth motion. It supports FreeSync, G-SYNC, and HDMI Forum VRR, and its near-infinite contrast makes games look stunning when playing in a dark room. Unfortunately, the risk for burn-in goes up with extended exposure to static elements like a game HUD, but we don’t expect it to be an issue if you watch and play varied content.

Comments on HDR gaming:

The LG C1 OLED is a superb TV for HDR gaming. Motion looks exceptionally clear thanks to the near-instantaneous response time, and input lag is very low. Unfortunately, its HDR brightness is just okay, so the brightest highlights don’t stand out as well as they should, but the near-infinite contrast ratio still helps deliver an impressive HDR experience. There’s a risk of permanent burn-in, but we don’t expect this to be an issue if you watch and play varied content.

Sony A80J

• Mixed usage: 8.8
  • Video games: 9.2
  • HDR gaming: 9.0

Comments on gaming overall:

The Sony A80J is fantastic for playing video games. It has a near-instantaneous response time for smooth motion, and its input lag is objectively low, but not as low as some other TVs. It has two HDMI 2.1 ports for 4k @ 120Hz gaming, and it also has VRR support after a firmware update to reduce screen tearing. Also, its near-infinite contrast ratio can produce deep inky blacks, which is great for dark room gaming.

Comments on HDR gaming:

The Sony A80J is amazing for HDR gaming. It delivers a smooth and responsive gaming experience thanks to its near-instantaneous response time and relatively low input lag. It also has a near-infinite contrast ratio for deep, uniform blacks. Although it only has okay HDR brightness, HDR content still looks amazing due to its near-infinite contrast and wide color gamut.

Rtings has calibration recommendations for all models they review, as well as their thoughts on pre- and post- calibration.

Had a look and they are not available yet in the UK, LG website does not have live pre-orders and the one official retailer link that’s live is for pre-order delivered in May.

EU generally tends to get priority over UK for LG so maybe there first.

C1 for gaming , a80j for movies . You cant go wrong either way .

I’m in the EU so I’d want to grab the best I can, guess I’ll wait for the C2 or G2.

C1. Sony used to be all I would be, absolute top tier at one stage. Now the tv side seem to be chasing everything else and lagging behind. I haven’t like a Sony set myself in a long time :frowning:

1 Like

Concur with you Gavin and the majority of opinions, the C1 is the way to go. I currently have two CXs (mine and my wife’s side-by-side setup) and they’ve been absolutely stellar. Some of you all know the first OLED fiasco I’ve been through; originally bought a Sony OLED in 2020 to go with the Series X, but of course found out that the VRR/120hz didn’t work at all after the fact (add it to the false-marketing Sony’s famous for) then traded in for a Vizio OLED because they were out of CXs at Best Buy and I figured I’d save some money and get some additional audio equipment… after all, it’s an LG panel so it should be great right? Wrong. I could write a book with how shitty Vizio’s firmware has been and all the hours I’ve spent troubleshooting.

Long story short, for gaming and for all-around usage, you can’t do better than LG right now; I’m actually looking at a C1 to replace that abysmal Vizio. The C2/G2 has some decent-to-significant upgrades, but I’m not sure that it’s worth the extra $900 you’d spend, especially given how cheap the C1s are right now.

One to look for in the space is Samsung and their new QD-OLED panels, by all accounts the Sony that uses the panel is incredible and Samsung’s pricing on their own QD-OLED panel is decent. That said, Samsung still does not support Dolby Vision and I always advise people to avoid first-gen hardware so… for the foreseeable future, the C1 would be my recommendation.

2 Likes

The G1 has the EVO panel, which provides a higher peak brightness and a potentially longer lifespan. I haven’t checked the price delta but it used to be a large difference, and for the majority of people the C1 was the more sensible option.

2 Likes

And the G1 is primarily designed for wall mount, so if you are not then you’ll have to pay an extra 100£/$ for feet. And probably a new TV stand as they fit at either end of the panel not in the middle.

1 Like

Yeah, I always forget that distinction too. I just picked up an LG C1, so I’ll update everyone with my experience when it arrives. Was really going through that battle of going for the newer technology in the C2 or Samsung’s QD-OLED, but logic prevailed…

1 Like

I prefer you to be patient until the new C2 model is available. I think Europe and America started selling officially. We are still waiting for the pre-order to open in the Middle East