Killer Instinct (2013) is getting a Series X|S and Balance Update Patch "this fall"

2023: The year of the fighting game. Street Fighter, Tekken, Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, wireless fight stick.

2 Likes

I hope this leads to them turning Transformers servers back on after acquisition.

I think they’ll renew the licenses for a lot of those games and you’ll see them added to Game Pass and be playable via Backwards Compatibility.

Iron Galaxy is at Amazon aren’t they? This is very cool then.

You’re thinking of Double Helix, the original developer of Season 1, that was acquired by Amazon.

Iron Galaxy took over from Season 2 onwards and they are independent.

3 Likes

Ooooh, shit, of course, haha.

So then Iron Galaxy could absolutely make a new one, nothing really stopping them.

Yeah, they were busy with Rumbleverse which dies recently. Seems almost guaranteed they are working on a sequel to KI.

3 Likes

With Rumbleverse being shut down earlier this year it would make sense that IG was open to restart conversations with Xbox. I believe Phil has said over the years they just needed to find the right team for a new KI, so maybe the stars aligned and it’s happening.

If there is a new KI in the works then I would love to see Xbox put some serious budget behind it. Like, put it up there with Street Fighter.

5 Likes

I feel like they forgot or something, because Im pretty sure you’re right

Xbox One X Killer Instinct delivers the first 4K console fighting game | Eurogamer.net

Maybe it will be more native or more of graphical improvement. They did say more info coming so we’ll learn soon.

Im not sure, but the One X version is native 4k.

From that artcile:

Fixed at 3840x2160 all the way through, it sets a precedent on console, in a world where PS4 Pro’s best efforts seem to top out at 1440p with titles such as Injustice 2 and King of Fighters 14.

Either way, Im pumped because I LOVED KI and this is a good omen for its future.

1 Like

I think the UI is still 1080p. Wonder if they bump up the settings to match max on PC as well.

4 Likes

Goddard specifically mentioned “the next 10 years of KI”

This clearly isn’t a 1 and done update, I feel KI2 is now inevitable but they are updating this to get the KI hype going again and have something to keep fans satisfied until KI2 is ready

No way they bother to bring back IG just for a random KI patch 5 years later without some kind of larger road map

2 Likes

I thought so as well, it looked like a crisp 4K resolution running at 60fps, BUT I also had the game freeze up on me in more than one occasion to the point where I had to uninstall it. At that point I assumed it wasn’t optimized for the Series consoles but didn’t do much research beyond that.

Thinking about it now, I’m not sure if the game sported 4K textures. I remember them being a bit blurry on the characters and backgrounds.

I personally wasn’t a big fan of the lighting in the game, including after the major update many years ago. So if they implement ray tracing (the rest of the game is a 2013 title after all) I’d be over the moon. It would literally harken back to the CGI Silicon Graphics origins of the title.

1 Like

Im guessing that its as much for the Series S getting to 1400p (instead of 900p) and reducing the load times.

1 Like

If and more likely then not, with this news a Killer Instinct sequel will happen, I hope we get guests like how Mortal Kombat is bringing Omni-Man and Homelander into the game.

Getting to see Master Chief fight Doomguy would be Awesome.

There definitely is potential with guest characters, just don’t make them the priority and I’ll be fine with them.

2 Likes

Even ahead of a potential sequel, I could see them adding the odd guest character or two to the game as part of a Killer Instinct Anniversary Edition upgrade.

2 Likes

I have a feeling we might see a new season if not a new game soon based on this.

3 Likes

That definitely would be a way to get people to play the game again.

2 Likes

Fighting games studios are few and far between and honestly, Iron Galaxy did an incredible job with KI so if they are in financial need right now why not jump on KI again with a few people to keep the game and community alive and talking about the game while they have the main team on a sequel; would only make sense!

Might as well buy them and keep them as the main fighting game dev at MS!

I remember this as well, the 4K upgrade on Xbox One X although I believe it didn’t add HDR and was only 4K but it was still a nice upgrade to have.

I don’t know how much the engine and animations would limit this, but I wonder if a 120fps mode could be enabled? Would definitely be a sight to behold honestly. 4k 120fps on Series X, 1080p 120fps on Series S, with HDR of course!

2 Likes