Killer Instinct (2013) is getting a Series X|S and Balance Update Patch "this fall"

Originally published at: Killer Instinct (2013) is getting a Series X|S and Balance Update Patch "this fall" - XboxEra

To everyone’s shock at the fighting tournament EVO, Killer Instinct (2013) is getting an optimization patch for Series X|S alongside a balance update “this fall”. James Goddard showed up with the new role of “Head of Killer Instinct” to deliver the news. Iron Galaxy is returning after five years away from the franchise to handle the “Year 10 update”. More was hinted at, but not announced for the game as well moving forward.

"You guys made this happen!"

We are honored to share the stage with the head of Killer Instinct, James Goddard, to bring the news about the massive update coming to KI!https://t.co/pRm0CRum2y | #Evo2023 pic.twitter.com/lXlLfYIaan

— EVO (@EVO) August 5, 2023

Our friends @IronGalaxy are back! And together, we’re bringing you Killer Instinct's free 10th Anniversary Update later this year – including a balance update, improved matchmaking, and 4K support for Series X|S.

More info coming soon!

— Killer Instinct (@KillerInstinct) August 5, 2023

The band is back together again. Stay tuned for @KillerInstinct updates in the near future! https://t.co/QVPIeqZj9c

— Iron Galaxy Studios (@IronGalaxy) August 5, 2023

Roughly 9 hours in to the above link you can find the announcement when it aired live at the Evo Tournament.

22 Likes

11 Likes

Once again, Xbox stealing the thunder of a Sony Show (Evo)…

15 Likes

I am shocked MS is revisiting a game that last had an update 5 years ago. LFG!

I used to love watching Keits walk through his updates. Definitely tuning in if he does those walk throughs again.

I hope this means there is potential for a sequel made by IG.

5 Likes

I have to imagine this is a hint of a new game. It would be crazy if it is not and so I’ll say a new game is coming.

5 Likes

4k support? So no more 900p???

3 Likes

It’s going to be weird if a new game is NOT coming after this… :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Not into fighting games anymore but Microsoft getting Iron Galaxy to work on a current generation upgrade for Killer Instinct is great news. Once the ABK deal is finalized, Microsoft should really try to acquire Iron Galaxy so they can have their fighting game studio. Hoping that with or without acquiring Iron Galaxy, this announcement leads into Killer Instinct 2 before the generation ends.

On a side note - acquiring ABK is going to really light a fire under Microsoft in regards to looking at past franchises and IP’s. They turn the servers back on for the Xbox 360 COD games, then Gears of War, then that Shadowrun Xbox 360 game and now make a deal with Iron Galaxy for a current generation upgrade for Killer Instinct. Add in the possibility of a new future Spyro, Crash, etc. and perhaps other IP’s like Banjo/Conker, etc. and damn, they’ll be hitting on all cylinders.

4 Likes

I saw the announcement live and I have to say I am quite happy as this means I’ll definitely be getting back into it in some manner and it’ll look glorious! Kinda wish Ken Lobb would have been there as well as he was also a instrumental part of the game in my opinion.

1 Like

I just watched it and Goddard ended with, “You guys made this happen. This is why we did it and this is why we’re doing a balance update and a major, major upgrade to all Playfab services so your matchmaking is a lot smoother, tournaments are easier, and more KI for the next 10 years.”

I think you could interpret it in two ways: one being that the support will ensure that the game will be updated so that it can be played throughout this next generation. The other being that this fan support means more life for the series in general.

6 Likes

I could have sworn its been 4K/60 since Xbox One X.

1 Like

You must be on edge, right? Thinking new killer instinct. But this is good too.

portents of what is to come, a new KI IS happening. bet on it.

5 Likes

Iron Galaxy is free from port and live service game (which was promising), so while hard to say they will be the developer for the next game, they could still provide helping hand alas support.

All these moves, incremental sure, they amount something - xbox is For the Gamers.

1 Like

Wait. What? Holy shit!

1 Like

There’s now a “Head of Killer Instinct”. That’s a pretty good sign that more are coming. Can you imagine the cross over potential with all of the IP MS now owns?

1 Like

==============================================================

PREEMPTIVE CAVEAT: Somtimes people fail to update LI profiles and things could be outdated (e.g. referring to things already announced).

==============================================================

This is the LI profile of the guy who was introduced as the “Head of Killer Instinct”:

An optimistic interpretation of this would be that there might be a KI that has been under development for several years. Not a certainty, but a possibility. The man does work on other projects, after all.

However, I do agree that the existence of somebody as a “head of KI” is a sign that MS is thinking about a future of the franchise at al evel more seriously than just an occasional “wouldn’t it be nice” comment when somebody asks Spencer about it during interviews.

3 Likes

This guy. Lol.

11 Likes

When they said to stay as they had 1 more thing to show I definitely expected more, like a new game. Then I was like, ok, maybe a new season?

I’ll still take anything KI that they bring, the fact the are trying to keep it alive bodes well for a sequel in my opinion and is a show of good faith on MS’ part and signifies in my opinion that they are committed to the fighting game community which is a good thing.

1 Like