Kena: Bridge of Spirits delayed to Q1 2021

Do we know if it’s 1 year exclusivity? Sony PR mentioned the games they announced had from a couple months to a full year but didn’t specified.

1 Like

Pandemic was always an issue. It’s only the how the industry wide reaction is if it occurs to one particular company and the never ending criticisms and concerns that follows it

2 Likes

I mean Kena is more comparable to games like the medium so…

They also have early vertical slices of games that look better then the retail release It works out because the final products are still very good, but its still a sneaky tactic. Sony are all about “wow moments” to create momentum and hype, it works because they deliver there promise but its quite a risky strategy that does not always pay off e.g the order, driveclub, days gone, ghosts of tshima to some extent.

3 Likes

I guess what I meant by ‘sketchy’ isn’t the hypothetical delay so much as the holiday 2020, launch day-implied release date they gave. That would be sketchy in hindsight. I mean, late July MS knew Halo wasn’t ready so they took the hit and got the word out. Sony should be aware of their own 1P games and so if something ain’t on track for an already-announced timeframe they should let us know. I can understanding holding off a tiny bit for some new showcase so the delay can be massaged a bit in terms of the PR impact, but they shouldn’t hold out long. It just highlights something that I’ve always felt Sony does in a sketchy way. And I know ppl will say no way does Sony care about forum warriors, but their PS4 used game YT video shows they definitely do. And frankly, the list wars have been important for their mindshare imho.

Today everyone thinks there are endless AAA cinematic exclusive 1P masterpieces left and right on Sony’s machines and even if they turn out not that great (Death Stranding, Detroit, Days Gone) the games somehow live on, contextualized as one among many masterpiece Sony 1P exclusives in the zeitgeist of the industry. I think that happens because Sony announces release targets early and ppl cling onto them out of their excitement and Sony doesn’t delay until after that narrative has taken shape.

2 Likes

That is also a good point. It’s really quite traditional in that sense as that was the norm during the 360 gen and prior. That vertical slice approach has really worked well for Sony’s marketing since they can announce a game and immediately show gameplay slices for it. I think MS should do more of that tbh. It lets ppl have their imagination run wild with how the game might play when given a glimpse whereas CG announce trailers do literally nothing for anyone anymore.

2 Likes

I would think that if Miles gets delayed, Sony would announce it on the same day as the PS5 release date and prices.

Thats what they did with their E3 2016 lineup. Literally unloaded everything they had and then showed the same stuff for 3 years.

1 Like

Oh! Sony cares about their console warriors alright, but so do Nintendo and Microsoft. Its just that Sony’s are the most numerous.

But that’s why Sony has basically universally shifted to 3rd person action adventure games because they all can piggy back on each other and cement PlayStation as the home of that type of game.

Are you saying… Some people have double standards :scream:?

1 Like

Like, no disrespect meant to this game, I’m sure it’s going to be fine, but… I don’t think it would be attracting anywhere near the attention it is, if not for being a launch exclusive. Just like Godfall, The Medium, and pretty much every launch exclusive this fall not named Miles Morales tbh.

1 Like

Hmmm… A little. The main reason I feel is because it stood out for its Pixar esque quality in the sea of the other games Sony showed and because it looked more ‘next gen’.

The ironic thing is that it’s a cross gen title… So yeah… that’s a bit awkward lol.

1 Like

No lies detected.

I dunno if MS cares anymore about forum wars tbh. They don’t do anything to show it if they do.

To a certain extent I think they’ve earned the right to announce early and kind of ride that wave. Their games come out eventually and are usually pretty good. I can understand why someone would feel that way about a Sony title and not a MS one.

On the other hand I think a lot of these get announced and not dated and fanboys/publications just insert them into list wars for years without needing Sony to announce a date. TLOU2 was in those lists for years before it was dated let alone delayed.

Same with having the same titles show up at multiple E3 shows or not showing gameplay or whatever. In some ways it’s fair, a lot of ways though I agree are not.

Microsoft should show their games years in advance but with long gameplay trailers. Showing a two minute CGI trailer or cinematic isn’t going to cut it. Plus, Sony’s games usually end up being of a higher than most quality regardless if anyone likes them or not.

If Microsoft can increase the quality of their first party titles, then yeah, they should do the same exact thing because it works. Show a story trailer and long gameplay trailer once a year until release and done.

Microsoft should also have dedicated episodes of Inside Xbox that showcases their exclusives two months before release like Sony did with TLOUP2 and Tsushima. It’s a brilliant move, works and it’s all gameplay.

While it was on PC earlier this year, they should do what I just mentioned with Gears Tactics in October because not everyone followed the game. I didn’t because it was PC and I don’t play on PC but I will be playing it at some point on Series X so why not show the game running on Xbox Series X during an overview presentation on an episode of Inside Xbox?

Some things that are so easy to do and Microsoft still doesn’t do it and I for one will never understand why.

Let’s face it Covid will have a lasting effect on all development. Especially games with moe cap. Hellblade II, God of War 2 etc… are impact greatly. Games developed in USA was basically on hold and is still limited.

Japanese games are less affected since they can work without home office.

Sad news but hey it is for the best. If they bring a way better game at the end it is all that matters for me.

Can a rated game still be delayed ? iirc both Spiderman and Demon’s Soul got rated.

Wasn’t Final Fantasy XV delayed after it was rated back in 2016?

2 Likes

Tales of Arise was rated in the beginning of the year… nothing is set in stone.

Halo Infinite was rated:D

2 Likes