JRPGs |OT| The Grind to Level 99 is Paved With Good Intentions

I’ve finished up the postgame in Star Ocean The Divine Force the other day. Both extra dungeons and super boss true forms defeated. Only have extremely grindy “craft 90% of items and weapons” achievements and Raymond’s playthrough left (I hear it’s 95% the same lol)

This was a great game, very underrated by Metacritic. The story boiled down to an evil man with a goatee wanting to take over the world and the characters aren’t that great, so I guess that factored in. The gameplay is just spot-on though, so fun to explore and fly around and fight things. Tales of Arise is what keeps coming to mind as a “comparison” game and I will say I enjoyed Star Ocean more.

8/10 game for me. Plays really great, weak story and clunky menus drag it down.

I am also playing Fire Emblem Engage, my first FE game. I used to have a mixed-bad opinion on JRPGs that use the Unity engine… Until this game. What a beautiful looking game. It’ graphics absolutely demolishes any other JRPGs I’ve played that use Unity like Soul Hackers 2.

I am not very far yet. I’ve actually chosen to use this game as Japanese reading material, as I’ve been following the Fire Emblem JP Twitter page and the clips they posted seemed fun and understandable for me to read. It’s not been overwhelming so far, and one reason I’m doing this is because the game supports a text log which you can open and replay voice lines which is great for listening comprehension as well. The pre-rendered cutscenes don’t seem to support this but so far the dialogue in those has been simple

2 Likes

Im gonna play star ocean for sure. Waiting for a decent sale on the digital or physical. 35 bucks and ill bite.

40$ for a shoddy ‘remaster’ is a rip off in the wake of Metroid Remaster or their own much better remaster of Tales of Vesperia.

i might buy it for 10 bucks.

1 Like

Kinda want to play this. SO2 is probably a top ten JRPG ever for me and SO3 isn’t far behind, but man 4 and 5 were awful.

I’ve been waiting for Game Pass, despite the trend for SE games being to leave the service rather than join it, but this review has pushed me to wait for sale.

In other news;

https://twitter.com/chronogame/status/1627595394946416640?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1627595394946416640|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=

People obviously excited for improved performance, which was bizarrely awful for a game you could make look better on a PSX emulator with shaders, but I’m more hype for potentially a fix for Pip after literally decades of him being bugged to be the worst character in the game.

I might complete it now. I think I got in about 15 hours and quit. Phenomenal music…story great. But gameplay was horrible due to frame rate

That’s too bad. Over the years I keep hearing about how good ToS was on Game Cube. I was hoping to play it on xbox…

Soul Hackers 2 on GP in one week!

I think at launch it was mid at worst, but got panned for not being in the same stratosphere as mainline SMT and Persona. With the DLCs, however, I think it’s a solid 7.5-8/10 game on it’s own and a great addition to the service.

Oh and it has the best shop theme in a JRPG:

3 Likes

Nice, good thing I bought it and have played about 2 hours so far. :stuck_out_tongue: Didn’t pay full price at least.

You still can. If youve never played it. Might get something out of it. But as someone who bought and played tos on gamecube and bought it at launch…this is an insult.

I started Kakarot and was enjoying it but got pulled away for a few other games (a game club thing, and some GP stuff that called out like a siren). Looking forward to getting back to it. I think I’ll just do the main story. There’s a ton of DLC, overwhelming really.

Apparently, to make Tales of Symphonia run better (on Switch)…

Remove Collette from the party :rofl:

2 Likes

They dropped too many JRPG in GP… It’s just impossible to keep up.

I’ll try Soul Hackers because I have to, but I’ll probably drop it and maybe I’ll come back to it later this year… If only they could space it out a bit !

lol

they really expect me to pay 40€ for this :rofl:

I endorse this. Havent played symphonia for over 15 years but she was annoying and useless even back then

I mean its there for a year. There will always be parts of the year with droughts. This is why i havent finished p3 yet.

1 Like

This. One of the more annoying party members in the entire series and lacks any redeemable features like being decent in battle (in fact, she might be the worst character in the game there too)

Plus everyone knows Sheena is best girl anyway.

Even though I have GP, I just decided to start buying them all. At least it supports the devs more and I can play them in my own time without feeling rushed. GP is killing it in the RPG department.

2 Likes

Me too. I just play a few hours and buy them if I like what I played.

I bought so many JRPG games like Octopath Traveler, Astria Ascending, Persona 4 and 5…

I’ll probably buy Soul Hackers too. I love that we have access to so many japanese games now, but it feels like we’re catching up 10 years of releases in a few years !

1 Like

So, you like JRPGs, eh? Have all the JRPGs you can play!

5 Likes

Best jrpg to release on GP this year will be Eiyuden Chronicles. Day 1. New game. Makers of suikoden.

Im confident this game will be significantly better than octopath.