JRPGs |OT| The Grind to Level 99 is Paved With Good Intentions

Great! It does, and pretty exhaustively IIRC. I’d be curious to know your opinion of the series if this ends up being your primary method of consumption.

I’ll keep you posted, if I can remember! Maybe ping me in a few weeks if I haven’t weighed in.

1 Like

I started Star Ocean The Divine Force. This is of course the Series X version.

Have almost no complaints so far! Text size seems okay to me but I guess that depends on your setup? I’m also not having any artifacting or whatever was talked about earlier in the thread.

Now as for the game so far, exploring is super fun, battles feel great and I am always a fan of just being able to fight enemies you see instead of being transported to a battle arena. I picked Laeticia because Raymond’s character model is goofy lol. Graphics are okay, but turn on HDR and they look great.

So far I don’t see how this got hit with a 68 or whatever on Metacritic. So far this is pretty much EXACTLY the kind of JRPG I’ve been looking to play on my Xbox! We never heard anything about sales so I hope it wasn’t an underperformer!

3 Likes

I hope to hear more about this from you, I’m always on the lookout for a nice JRPG!

I think it got patched multple times because the series x version had some horrible frame stutters at launch.

I will definitely play this again at some point.

I’m starting to get very impressed. Gust ain’t no small budget developer anymore. They’re even marketing this one quite a bit more than previous Atelier games. I hope this game gets high reviews and makes Xbox realize they’re missing out :laughing:!

2 Likes

Hey guys, quick question:

What are your thoughts on Valkyrie Revolution?

I heard many people enjoy it and others thinking is somewhat tedious. So i want some opinions before i make any kind of decision.

Also for anyone who played the newest star ocean, is it good? If so what are some of the things that made you like it?

Lastly, over what saintsflow20 said about Atelier. Do you think that this year is the one where Xbox finally ports the series or do you think it will be another jrpg franchise that will be ported to said console?

Valkyria Revolution is…yeah it’s mid at best. Weakest Valkyria Chronicles game made even worse by the fact VC4 is on Xbox (and is excellent)

Can’t say for sure about Atelier, this is definitely @saintsflow20 's most wanted outside Kiseki, but we’ve seen MS make efforts with games like these recently (I suspect the issues in relationship with Square Enix are a contributing factor here) and I think there’s a chance Gust could be in the pipeline.

Praying for EXA_PICO

2 Likes

What series is that? I never heard of it before so am quite clueless about it.

Also, am certain that we might see more Koei Tecmo game arriving to xbox either with ports or new ip in general like were are seeing with Wo Long, which looks to be incredible as always.

But i could see something like Xbox announcing that the entirety of the Atelier games will launch on that day and that they will become available on game pass day one.

Kinda janky with a weird combat system. It’s a mix between the main series battle system with action elements. A lot of repeatable maps and fetch quests. Main quest was kinda boring. Soundtrack is the highlight of the game. I wouldn’t play it again because it was boring.

No thoughts on Valkyria Revolution, I just heard it’s one of Sega’s most mediocre-bad games.

Playing Star Ocean at the moment. Mostly loving it, exploration with the “flying/gliding” feature is super fun, there’s all kinds of little orbs around to pick up as if it took a note from Crackdown of all things lol. I really like the combat as well. The graphics, and really the game itself, is quite “Xbox 360” I think, it has a bit of a nostalgic feel. Maybe this is why it got a low-ish metascore, I don’t know.

Some small problems I’ve had so far: I’m about a little over 10 hours in now and there hasn’t been any plot hooks lol. I think the next thing is to find Raymond’s last lost crew member, but nothing really notable happened yet.

When running around in the overworld, sometimes a party conversation will happen. That’s all nice and fun, but it disables some features like the flying or opening the menu while they’re talking, it gets a bit annoying, but the conversations aren’t long.

The side quest design is quite outdated and uninspired. Go get 5 feathers that have a 3% drop rate on one enemy kind of thing. Most of them are extremely quick and easy though.

But so far the exploration and combat are holding it up a lot, it’s just very fun to play. And I enjoy the “dated” graphics lol.

Ryza 3 almost strikes me as Gust/Koei’s attempt to make this series a bit more mainstream-ish. They seem to be promoting this one more than previously (I was very surprised by it’s Western Nintendo Direct reveal as the series has either only been on JP Directs or just JP events in general before this) and are putting impressive sounding features in it as well as making the exploration in the overworld almost open-world like with lots of interactivity and very large spaces.

So with that said, I think it could spark interest in an Xbox port. One thing I think could be a factor is the performance of Wo Long on Game Pass. Koei is kind new to the GP thing besides having retro Ninja Gaiden games on GP and later the remastered Sigma collection.

When Wo Long blows up on GP there might be talks between Koei and MS for other GP deals. Koei could say they want more of their franchises on GP (and, if my view that Koei is wanting Atelier to hit a bit of a mainstream JRPG audience is true, GP would be an excellent way to get the game in the hands who’ve never touched the series before), MS could see something like Ryza 3, a JRPG that looks very appealing, and start talks.

This is all just my perspective though. I obviously don’t know how these GP talks go and what Koei’s thoughts are about growing the Atelier franchise.

1 Like

A catchall for the Ar Tonelico/Ciel NoSurge/Ar NoSurge games, named after the macguffin which makes the universe of those games actually work. Minimal chance of the series seeing light of day on Xbox, but it’s my favourite Gust developed series by a mile.

Atelier games are decent, but I feel they are just a bit too niche - even among JRPG fans. The kinda slow, meandering gameplay with no solid direction, or strong plot to guide, isn’t for everyone. I think, as an example, the Kiseki series would have a wider appeal. Though of course, Game Pass would in theory make both possible.

1 Like

I found it pretty average. Didnt finish.

Thanks for the info, i was still deciding if it was a good idea to buy Valkyrie Revolution . But after seeing some of the footage of gameplay and some of the quests, i felt that it was rather mediocre.

Although now you guys got me curious with the latest Star Ocean game. I might potentially purchase the game once am done completing Monster Hunter Rise and if its on sale all the better for me.

Another few games am potentially eyeing for are Dragon`s Dogma,Lost Odysey, Diofield Chronicles and Digimon Survive.

In regards to Atelier expanding, honestly Koei should make it happen. I fell like it would be a great boost for the franchise and also giving Gust more attention, which could benefit them tremendously.

Another jrpg series that i hope makes some waves as a port for Xbox has to be .Hack. I feel like it could get an even bigger boost then before, especially considering how Cyberconnect2 is in good terms with Xbox ,especially with how their newest game Fuga 2 is releasing on gamepass in spring.

What are some other Jrpg franchises that could benefit from a xbox game pass boost?

Oof, sorry @saintsflow20

1 Like

No, thanks for this news! That’s awesome!

That must have been on the JP Direct. Some cool games sometimes get announced there.

This isn’t the title I would expect to be the series’ first entry into Xbox anyway :smile:. Took a look at the screenshots in there and it’s far lower budget than Ryza 3.

Ringo is NOT dead! Etrian HD crossover stuff.

Kind of a monkey paw release though… $100 CAD/$80 US, after Persona 3 and 4 were $20 each. And I hear the Switch physical is for Japan only.

Alright there was quite a bit from that Direct, so let’s do a round up

(was happy to see this, but significantly less so after seeing it priced up the arse)

Thanks @Hix

This one looks really intriguing

What do you think of Rex, age 30 (?). My man is dual-wielding them.

We’ve got a Fei from Xenogears look-alike as well.

2 Likes

Very excited about Fantasy Life, I completed the first one like three times!

Still can’t believe Baten Kaitos, of all series, is coming back. Such an incredibly random and niche pick - and I’m all here for it.

Never was the biggest fan of card battle system JRPGs (think Kingdom Hearts CoM) but BK is a big exception. Plus it has arguably Motoi Sakuraba’s best work for an OST, from a time when he had a lot more variety to his sound.

He looks great, absolutely love Rex and never got the hate.

As for the other guy…eh…doesn’t really look like Fei and I don’t think he’s meant to. That front bang would need to be a lot longer :joy:

1 Like