JRPGs |OT| The Grind to Level 99 is Paved With Good Intentions

I just realized that the game is out in less than 2 weeks and even myself, who is ultra tuned into gaming news even for titles I don’t care about, thought the game was a bit further out than that.

With a lot of people saying the game feels rough and whatnot, I have to wonder if the budget is lower than appears, as it is presented as Square’s next AAA game.

I wonder if Octopath Traveler 2 is going to outsell it/be more profitable… Could see Forspoken getting discount sales 2-3 weeks after release like Valkyrie Elysium.

1 Like

Just started Star Ocean the divine force, and I wanted to ask, is the graphical glitch on the top left of the screen present for everyone?

I finished Harvestella today. Did most of the side content too, only had some floors of the mega dungeon left and some encyclopedia stuff to fill out but the game was tiring by now so I am done with it.

I feel mixed, but I do feel more positive about it than the likes of, Soul Hackers 2, for example. It’s a more budget game than I was expecting, cutscene animations are very stiff/robotic, and there’s no voice acting besides battling (and some bosses talk during their battles).

Combat could also be better. For one there’s no actual dodge button, the combat mainly feels like you just tank everything and scarf down food to heal it. There’s lots of different jobs and you can equip 3 of them to change on the fly. The endgame moves you unlock in the jobs are very satisfying to use, very flashy.

I have to highly compliment the music, completely did not expect it to be this good. The story was also more grand and intriguing than I was expecting from a farming game. I’d go as far as to call it a Nier ripoff, but I’m not saying that in a bad way, so Nier fans will definitely like the story and world (the music is very Nier too, hell, even the gameplay is bargain-bin Nier)

The boss fights are also very cool, they remind me of boss fights from Ys games.

I’ll give it a 7/10. A lot of good, but I wish the gameplay was better.

I plan to start this quite soon, so if nobody else has an answer, I’ll get to you soon about it, lol.

1 Like

Anyone check out One Piece Odyssey? Kinda tempted to support because it looks like a good attempt at an anime game but not in a rush, maybe will buy on sale.

Feels very Dragon Quest-y

I’ve put about 4 hours in it. It’s fine, it’s probably the best looking licensed anime game to date. The combat is about what you expect. But this new rock, paper, scissor system they added brings a slight layer of strategy. Only down side is that it’s too easy, it becomes mindless sometimes, especially since they made it so you can see which enemy is going to attack next so you can plan ahead.

1 Like

Some day I will get far enough into the 1000+ episodes of One Piece to check out the games - some day!

1 Like

I definitely recommend reading the manga instead! If you have an Android device, the Tachiyomi app is terrific for reading comics and manga.

1 Like

ThaIks, I’ll keep that in mind!

1 Like

I just love that moment in the final stages of a JRPG where you know shit is about to go down and you have to save the universe as you know it from certain doom by dethroning (a) god with the power of friendship.

I live for that shit.

1 Like

Add “sappy friendship speeches” to another reason I love Trails games. I buy into them almost every time :smile:, especially when the characters yell “yeeeaaah!” in unison.

The best is in CS4 when they do one last speech before the final boss door and the CS1 main theme kicks in.

And yes, I enjoy the 2 hour long, 4 phase final boss fights against some world ending entity too

Really hope I’ll be able to dive into some X360 exclusive JRPGs sometime soon. Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery, and Blue Dragon are on my list.

Realistically, I will manage maybe one of them in the forseeable future. Which one should I prioritise?

Lost odyssey and ignore the other 2. Unless you have time to burn. LO is a must play. IU is very dated and story is pretty poor. BD is ok but poor mans DQ

2 Likes

Tales of arise is good. But damn does it drag when you think it’s about to end.

Eh, it’s a decent game and worth playing on it’s own merits.

The comparisons with DQ because of the Toryama artstyle aren’t really fair. BD has advantages over DQ games like the FFV style job/class based battle system, Nobuo Uematsu soundtrack (say what you like, but DQ does not do music well) and Hironbu Sakaguchi plot. It looks like DQ, but is functionally closer to old school FF than anything.

That said, yes, LO should be anyone/everyone’s go to for that era. Easily the best JRPG of gen 7 on any platform.

Sure does, experiencing the same right now.

1 Like

Best FF for that reason.

Anyone picking this up? I know it’s coming out at an awkward time, competing with the Persona ports.

I’m getting it though

1 Like

Eventually. My Switch backlog is pretty large atm so I’m not in a rush.

While I love fire emblem. I wish they also made a action jrpg out of these games for switch.

Honestly, the Coolgate looking-ass MCs put me off this game so bad.

Even tho I bought Three Houses D1, I ain’t getting this.