Joseph Staten back in charge of Halo's Campaign

I did. That’s why Proven quoted me.

1 Like

Ah I see now. Didn’t see he was responding to that part of your comment.

Really awesome. Was waiting for the day he got back to Halo :+1:

Wish we got to see his Destiny 1

Just to hammer your point home a bit more, and for anyone who isn’t familiar with your reference:

Something similar happened with Stalker back int he day: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl - Wikipedia

Btw, Rod did this twice actually. He also came in under the wire to help Bioshock Infinite get finished and that game was also considered a complete and utter disaster in terms of its dev cycle.

2 Likes

Personally, I see the delay as a potential blessing in disguise. Both Series X and Series S will sell out in November and December. Having Halo Infinite in November 2021 would be a massive boost for that holiday season plus it lines up with their 20th Anniversary so imagine the custom consoles and controllers they can release? If anything, it makes too much sense to where not releasing in November 2021 would seem like a missed opportunity.

Cool to see Staten returning to Halo. 343i can take as much time as they need to make sure the game is as great as it should be.

1 Like

I could see that. It left a huge hole in the launch lineup, but it remains to be seen (imho) how much that will matter. I definitely think it is crucial that Halo delivers so XGS can keep the string of first party hits alive and keep building that momentum.

The story and cinematics are not really the issue with infinite, its the visuals. However good talent is always good.

3 Likes

It left a huge gap in the launch lineup but barring every third party game getting delayed to 2021, I don’t see it mattering much to be honest. Xbox One at $500 with Kinect sold out in November/December and over 1m on it’s launch day. I would be shocked and stunned if Xbox Series X/Series S were to do worse.

At least we should have Gears Tactics which is a great game and im looking forward to playing it. Granted, it’s not for the majority of gamers but a great game is a great game.

1 Like

Here you can know more about it and what happened

1 Like

I see people thinking this means a longer delay when it means the opposite. He is there to get this done right, asap. It’s not missing the end of the fiscal year.

3 Likes

I think this is a very smart move, albeit a late one.

Just hope they give the game the time it needs to shine, seems they have realised how important Halo’s launch truly is to the brand.

You do have to wonder with this one - did nobody at Xbox check on infinite - because more you hear the more obvious it had no chance of releasing complete in a good state this holiday. So why wasn’t this done well before the showcase?

This is what I took from it as well. It just makes corporate sense for Microsoft wanting Halo Infinite out before then end of their financial year and this reinforces it.

I agree. Although I wonder how many elements of the game will fall under the responsibility of the “Project Lead for Campaign”. Maybe that will include visual elements of the Campaign? Let’s take Craig’s face for example, if they have a separate Project for Multiplayer, then maybe that means the lack of detail on Craig would fall under the Campaign project, unless maybe there are brutes in MP. Still, the lack of visual polish and pop-in that we saw on the campaign could come to Staten to oversee and bring together.

When does the fiscal year end?

On the surface/to the naked eye this doesn’t look great.

I understand they were building an engine and all but you really do have to wonder why so many staff changes happened at a leadership level.

That’s the biggest red flag in my opinion.

When you apply to work with 343, you know you’re working on Halo. So the assumption is that more often than not, you probably like Halo if you’re going there.

Why is the staff turnover as high as it is then? Or is it just more publicised at 343 than other studios?

1 Like

This is good news, sad to see the usual Xbox hate forums spin this as a negative when it is a 100% positive move.

Also 343s statement reiterates a 2021 release so seems people aren’t even reading the official word of this and just want to jump to negative conclusions.

2 Likes

I first thought that this news meant nothing because the issues are more far reaching. There seems to be a corporate culture problem. There seems to be a management problem. There seems to be a marketing problem.

But maybe, much like Spencer leading Xbox, the right person in the right role can change company culture. Can prioritize what is truly important. Can communicate to fans better.

His 2004 demo of Halo 2 is still fantastic and Infinite could have really used something similar.

That said, he won’t fix the artstyle or the visuals, which is the only unimpressive thing about the demo.

(Edited out stuff about the visuals because I don’t want to derail the topic)

Super approve of this move. Don’t really matter why he is joining, his joining is a positive thing.

Also my concern was never they not being able to deliver on 2021,but rather end up gutting the campaign/plot like they did on Halo 5, and it seems Jason’s job is precisely to prevent that.