Joseph Staten back in charge of Halo's Campaign

For those that don’t know, Staten was the lead writer on the original trilogy and was the director of cinematics at Bungie. He left Microsoft Game Studios alongside Bungie to focus on Destiny for a while and then left to return to MGS and work in various writing roles for all sorts of MGS titles. Hard to think of anyone better suited for the job.

Now we need to get Marty back on board. He said in interviews he wanted to work on Halo again and iirc Marty and Joe are pals.

More info: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/familiar-facts

9 Likes

Yeah I think this game is gonna be late late 2021 or 2022 if they plan on doing this properly.

Yikes I defended the first showing of this game but is it really in that bad o a shape?? Disaster

Whatever his role ends up being, this makes me happy. I always liked Staten and his passion for Halo always seemed genuine.

3 Likes

Whether this move is being made out of need, desire, or some combination of the two, Joseph Staten returning to Halo, in whatever capacity this move truly entails, can only be a positive.

2 Likes

Agreed, and I’ve pretty much loved all his contributions including Recore.

Honestly it is hard to say how rough shape it is/was in since everyone focuses on the visuals when thinking about it. To me, everything except the visuals looked fantastic (except I don’t like having a world map and the cross hair should be lowered).

They need to make moves like this either way though. Been wanting to get State/Marty/Griesemer back on Halo for yrs.

1 Like

Agreed I liked what I saw and was convinced it was gonna be fine come release but I guess the memes got to Microsoft and they decided to put this back in the oven.

1 Like

I’m all for them being able to avoid crunch and take the time they need to get visuals up to snuff. I’d love a MP beta for XSX launch tho. :stuck_out_tongue:

Great news for the game and franchise. Was always saying November 2021. Think this pretty much guarantees it. My prediction is November 5th, 2021.

1 Like

November 15th. :wink:

1 Like

This combined with CErtain affinity announcing that they have been working on the game makes me very happy.

I hope that they announce Tommorow they will also clearly lay out their plans for launch.

1 Like

I wonder if Joe played a role bringing em back on board? I hadn’t even made that connection!

Staten seems to be working on the single player campaign as the project lead. Scroll down -

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/familiar-facts

2 Likes

Hahaha. Don’t see the game releasing on a Monday though.

1 Like

I would if I were them. 20 yrs to the day. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good news for the 10 year plan!

1 Like

My E3 fantasy (prior to COVID) was that they’d introduce Halo Infinite campaign by pulling a curtain back to have Marty conducting an orchestra and then spotlight Joe holding the controller for the playthrough. Not afraid to admit it. >.>

1 Like

Welcome home! I’ve always felt the 343 games were missing his and Marty’s/Salvatori’s touch and while the new composers brought on seem to fill the music void, I will never object to Staten.

2 Likes