Jim Ryan when asked about responding to gamepass “ There is actually news to come, but just not today”; Unsure if Starfield is coming to PS5

Jim Ryan gave an interview for this Russian outlet, nothing new besides this, but worth sharing. https://tass.com/economy/1225233

- So how did you feel about Microsoft offering to buy Zenimax/Besthesda? Is there a possibility that PlayStation gamers will not be able to play the next Elder Scrolls game or Starfield?

- That’s a decision that is out of our hands, we’ll wait and see what happens. I look forward to learning about that. We just take a different approach. Our emphasis has been to focus on really steady, slow, but constant organic growth of our studios, selectively bolstered by acquisitions. We respect the steps taken by our competition, they seem logical and sensible. But we’re equally happy and confident, we’ve got a better launch lineup than we’ve ever had at any of our console launches.

2 Likes

I really hope Sony puts their exclusives on PS Now day one. I would be so happy. $10 rental compared to a $70 purchase which would become a $35 or so purchase after trading in the game. Come on Jimbo, do something awesome for PS Now.

1 Like

We just take a different approach. Our emphasis has been to focus on really steady, slow, but constant organic growth of our studios, selectively bolstered by acquisitions. We respect the steps taken by our competition, they seem logical and sensible.

That and money hatting timed exclusives left and right

7 Likes

This is why exclusives matter, Bethesda needs to stay on Xbox only.

PSNow is coming for Xbox Game Pass…

12 Likes

This is shitty and I don’t want Microsoft to do this at all. Rather see that money go towards acquiring publishers/developer, expanding the studios they already have, getting a multi-platform game on Game Pass day one or to acquire a game as a full platform exclusive. Like if Game Science needs money or whatever for Black Myth Wukong, go pay for the development of it in exchange for the exclusive rights to the trilogy.

Timed exclusives in my eyes are multi-platform games since that’s what they end up being anyway. I do find it funny that Sony paid ZeniMax for Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo (I believe that both will bomb) to be timed exclusive even though now, it’s like they paid Microsoft. LOL.

The only timed game I truly care about is Kena: Bridge of Spirits but will wait until it hits Xbox Series X in 2022. I’m still interested in Godfall but only if it goes into Game Pass when it releases for Xbox Series X in June 2021.

Will never understand why Sony paid for exclusivity for FF16 when 90% of gamers are playing it on PlayStation 5 anyway. This makes no sense to me but whatever.

I agree 100%. Exclusive games and exclusive content is king. Without it, you’re the same as everyone else. If Microsoft puts any of the non-MMORPG type Bethesda games on PlayStation 5, oh man, the outrage and uproar will be insane, literally.

I don’t see that happening. LOL.

3 Likes

Interesting to see what the news about potential changes to PS Now might be. It was not that long ago that Jim Ryan shot down the notion of putting their games day one onto PS Now and for me unless Sony does that, PS Now will always be a second rate service compared to Game Pass. So have Sony changed their mind? We shall see.

In regards to Starfield, his comments rule out any sort of marketing deal otherwise Jim Ryan would know if Starfield was coming to PS5. It therefore is totally up to Microsoft whether the game appears on PS5.

I think it’s gonna become a EA Play-like service, not day 1 releases but 6mo to 1 year.

2 Likes

Yes, the Starfield comment gives me hope it will be an Xbox exclusive. It has to be.

I predict PSNow will evolve into something like Game Pass soon, perhaps with some co-operation with Epic on the PC-side of things for native PC-versions rather than rely on crappy streaming on that platform.

Xbox will need every piece of exclusive content possible to fight off God of War Ragnarok, Horizon Forbidden West, GT 7, Uncharted 5, Spiderman 2 etc day 1 on PSNow…

2 Likes

It could be something like that, or Day one but just for some months. After all, it was only not so long ago he said the system was not sustainable for them.

I imagina a day 1 Spiderman 2 would shoot the PSNow subs into what, 30 m subs immediately?

He said the Game Pass model (Day One releases) was unsustainable 2 months ago, but then again… it’s Jim Ryan we’re talking about

6 Likes

Yeah that man is not reliable.

2 Likes

All of a sudden

Subscription are the best thing that happened in gaming… Thanks to x… Oh wait… PS :laughing:

4 Likes

That is certainly true, though he still must know at least some things I think. Either way, we will have to see how they will evolve the service. It won’t necessarily be something like Game Pass, but closer to it. It is still something very expensive to do, and MS took a big gamble on that back in 2017. Sony will have to start from scratch too.

Watch the general narrative elsewhere now change to ‘subscription gaming is cool and who wants to pay full-price for games anyway???’

9 Likes

Sony was stupid to pull ps now apps from tvs and most other devices.

If they provided a good way to play their exclusives day one on a service without owning a PS5 is consider it. I had that app on my Samsung TV but Sony ended up being idiots

5 Likes

Yes, the cult will do and like what they are told to by their leaders.

6 Likes

Did it run ok on your tv? I tried several times over several years to use the app on my PC but it was pure garbage. I’d switch to my PS4 and everything was fine. It was seriously like night and day.

1 Like

quelle surprise

Well it’s not - you need a constant stream of games/content to keep you subscribed or it doesn’t work. even Xbox doesn’t have enough studios yet - hence they’re seriously looking for more. With Sony they only release a couple of big hitters a year, people would just subscribe for a single month to play it then cancel, so they’d get £20 odd in revenue from those two games as opposed to £120 if you bought them.

2 Likes