Jim Ryan Retires, Connie Booth leaving after 34 years, Layoffs at Sony, Multiplayer games Cancelled

Never underestimate Playstation fanboys to give unlimited passes to exclusives missing modes, lowered framerates and 1400p resolutions but never let anyone forget that co-op was late on the other guys games.

They 100% know what they’re doing here.

Naughty Dog didnt opt to choose single player games, they tried and failed to do what lots of other developers take in stride and they were unable to deliver. Just like Uncharted 4 at 1080p/60fps.

12 Likes

I can imagine the meetings at Sony’s HQ:

• Hey Jim, the TLOU Online development is proceeding super smoothly and the game is super fun to play, internal tests indicate one of the best multiplayer modes ever.
  • You know what Hermen, we already have too many GAAS titles in the pipeline, let’s can it after 5 years of development and put ND back on single-player games.

Sounds legit :thinking:

3 Likes

The first few months after Halo Infinite was release was not good for 343, seasons was late and had very little content. 343 deservedly got criticism from press and fans. ND totally cancels a mode they announced but this is good news?

3 Likes

Agree with this it’ll take a few more mistakes but things will begin turning if Xbox keep producing good games, it might not show for 1,2 maybe 3 years but if xbox can keep pumping commercial hits and if PlayStation continue stumbling by the next gen Xbox, the decision won’t be as easy to pick up a PlayStation as it was this gen.

Just have to play the long game

7 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: That Insomniac Leaks spoiler filled discussion

Since the discussion was happening in multiple threads, moved the leaks into its own thread. Feel free to retitle it to something better.

3 Likes

I guess that would be a no.

4 Likes

More layoffs and a studio closure?

Sony Reportedly Planning More Layoffs For PlayStation Studios, Including Insomniac

Sony may be planning layoffs for various PlayStation studios, including Insomniac Games. The documents found also suggest there could be “one studio closure”.

The specific information, relayed originally by Kotaku, about Sony’s plans for PlayStation studios was discovered in documents from the extensive ransomware leak that targeted Insomniac Games.

3 Likes

Its funny. I’ve read that leak on reddit, resetera and gamefaqs and Media Molecule is the first to be mentioned. Everytime.

Im going to say it. If Insomniacs comments are representitive of Playstation studios as a whole, then I expect Sony to follow Nintendo into the low end console tier.

Their model, their layoffs, their refusal to make next gen engines is very much like nintendo in 2005 with the Wii. Unable to compete on fidelity.

5 Likes

7 Likes

Unfortunately they are the one that stands out the most

Not a huge studio but big enough to save a lot of money if they were closed and their last game not only took years upon years of dev time but seemed to be a complete failure

1 Like

It’s obvious the first studio that comes to mind is Media Molecule. This team doesn’t seem to fit with Sony’s strategy of developing cinematic games or GaaS. It’s the same reason they shut down Pixelopus. At this point I also fear for Team Asobi.

1 Like

Media Molecule especially something like Dreams would fit well with MS now to be honest

6 Likes

It’s absolutely the sort of thing Xbox would push hard in GP and continue to invest in as a GaaS type thing

Sony failed this game hard

6 Likes

They treated it like a $60 premium game :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Yea Xbox found a better business model in Gamepass just in time to not be brought down by AAA budgets. Also add in the ABK stuff and the mobile profits alone should be able to fund many AAA titles.

Sony not only is behind the time on services but they have pretty much no foot print in mobile.

They have no real diversity setup to bring in extra revenue to help support their AAA efforts and having it depend on stand alone 70$ game sales is a dead end.

1 Like

What was info about next gen engines?

Imagine being a PS studio and hearing about this leak of studio closure, and not knowing if it’s you. Media Molecule is probably thinking it’s them.

Project Dreamsparks, maybe?

Minecraft Update: Dreamspark, all the creation of tools of Dreams(maybe even look into Project Sparks of course) brought to a game that’s everywhere and has a market place in game to allow people to sell their creations.

It makes sense with everything that has already happened at the studio. The one other studio that I haven’t seen mentioned that it could be is bend studio. Days gone wasn’t a success and if their next project isn’t looking like a step up I could see them closing that studio