Jeff Grubb: Microsoft should be pretty talkative soon, implies multiple updates in August

Series Y my dude :+1: but also maybe series E for entry level

If I was to critique that - 1st show mainly showed smaller titles - which is fine but not sure it proved viability. Second show definitely was a superb gamepass showcase - which may be what they intended but I definitely sensed a late narrative develop around that - sure they wanted to have a ā€˜gamepass inclusiveā€™ show but the rumour that they pulled content in order to do that suggests to me that might have been somewhat down to face saving.

They absolutely need to show a good variety of new games running on the Series X - they need a show to do that really - but nothing theyā€™ve said points me to them necessarily setting that up in August at least and I feel right now theyā€™ve lost the early momentum built up. I donā€™t really think that was down to Halo Infinite - its because theyā€™ve not shown off anything at all running on their console and not pressed home having the most powerful console. There are reasons for that - if strategic then I think theyā€™ve got it wrong - if because stuff isnā€™t ready (and of course Covid is likely responsible) then I think they should be honest and give us a date for when they can properly demo their console ahead of release. I fully support their gamepass moves but I think whilst Covid has impacted them they are IMO going about things in wrong order. Should be first - look at this whizzbang console and the shiny games it plays. Second and you can get all these games on gamepass and play them where you want. Third - look at value we offer. If you donā€™t promote your hardware releasing in a few months - then sadly I fear that they will lose further ground on 3rd party offerings. No matter gamepass and xcloud - if the series X falters in sales terms and the PS5 does as expected - then developers may well not even need deals to work on the PS5 first. I donā€™t think Xbox needs to enter a hardware contest - but what they do need to do is retain current XB1 owners in the ecosystem. My great fear based on anecdotal evidence is they are going to lose a lot of ground hereā€¦I hope Iā€™m wrong because I want an XSX with the full range of 3rd party support possible.

I think there are several reasons. Covid delays play a role, that the studios they bought donā€™t have a finished AAA project ready, and last but not least that they donā€™t see the strategic need to concentrate solely on the SXS. As I said, itā€™s just one way to play their games - GamePass has far more meaning.

I foresee ā€œSeries Y Botherā€ memes, should they go that direction - ha; Iā€™d recommend avoiding that particular name choice. Then again, if thereā€™s no such thing as bad publicity, maybe another meme to go along with this inane ā€œCraigā€ business wouldnā€™t be so unfortunate for the folks over at Microsoft.

To me the context of what is being reveal matters too though. XSS isnā€™t new in terms of the hardware tech compared to XSX or anything. Itā€™s just a 1080p version of XSX for cheap. The main reason it exists isnā€™t to highlight next gen gaming tech but rather to offer 1080p next gen gaming on the cheap.

So in that context, it seems smarter to me to only speak of it as part of a larger platform-wide strategy of being super consumer-friendly and high value/low cost. Haloā€™s MP being f2p, new Game Pass news, streamlined Game Pass branding, XSS/XSX price points, launch lineup/dates, free online play, more PR around BC, xCloud news, reminding ppl about accessory compatibility, Xbox All Accessā€¦all of those directly boost value to customers (different demographics are targeted with different stuff, while other initiatives overlap).

Using that to show off a game that isnā€™t really showcasing a value-added element of the platform seems a waste imho. Iā€™d rather they save that for Gamescom later in the month.

My 2 cents. :slight_smile:

1 Like

At this point, I just want to know the release date (my prediction is Friday November 6th), prices (my realistic prediction is $300 for Series S and $500 for Series X) and when pre-orders open up so I can go to GameStop and pre-order the Series X.

If youā€™re buying it regardless why do you need a price ASAP?

I fully expect to buy one on release day. Just give me a date so I can book the day off work!

1 Like