Jason Schreier: Sony’s Obsession With Blockbusters Is Stirring Unrest Within PlayStation Empire

It was like that with xbox one launch. A slightly negative article became MS is screwing over all gamers on social media.

This may be a bit hyperbolic but I do wonder if the success of The Last of Us broke Sony’s brain a bit.

It seems like they want to recapture the success of that game with every single game they make so every game seems to be following the same cinematic and style formula creating a scenario where each game follows the same formula only with its own twists.

None of their games feel particularly unique or innovative and it’s a shame because the PS2-PS3 era were amazing.

2 Likes

In a way it’s kind of like Ocarina of Time. TLoZ hits pay dirt and defines a game-play style and Nintendo tried chasing OoT with Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, two titles alot of people hated, which is ironic because Majora’s Mask and Wind Waker become the universally loved Zelda titles of that era. Nintendo just said “DO SOMETHING ELSE!” and struck gold again with BotW.

Seems Sony is trying to that “TLOU IS A MASTERPIECE THAT WILL NEVER BE TOPPED BOW DOWN BEFORE IT PUNY MORTALS LEST YOU BE WHIPPED” high again. Maybe. I don’t know.

You would of thought Putting all your eggs in multiple big baskets is more risky. If one of these big games fails they have a lot to loose. Doubling down on the big AAA @ £70 model is bizarre when its the most riskiest strategy in the video game industry.

Subscription models seem less risky.

Sony seems to be following the metrics, cod, gta, fortnite and there Ip like gow + TLOU2 is ehat is making them the money, so that is where they are focusing.

However when we see what xbox are doing, playstation seems like the more niche proposition, but playstation still has the mindshare from last gen and really strong marketing to maintain a large percentage of there casual audience, but the way things are going playstation are definitely loosing a significant amount of there hardcore and casual userbase.

2 Likes

welp this is your reason why kojima went with xbox, keep going xbox get these talents on your side

2 Likes

Naughty Dog should make the games they make. Their studios trying to copy the formula just leads to games that are not as good

2 Likes

I think it’s more likely they rushed a 3rd person shooter out the door with no multiplayer, wondered why it had no legs and are looking for the cheapest way to earn more money on recycling the assets.

i better not to see anyone shits on old games anymore

1 Like

Stap

It’s true though.

People FREAKED OUT when Twilight Princess was announced, thinking “THE REALISTIC ZELDA GAME I ALWAYS WANTED!” then they hated it. People were excited for Skyward Sword to see what it could do with the Wii’s controls, and everybody hated that.

??? People hated Skyward Sword lets not do revisionist history. People liking the overall story and its implications dont make it a good game.

People were so hyped for Twilight Princess, that it gave birth to the infamous “8.8” debacle at Gamespot.

It MADE Jeff Gerttsman Career. Well that and Kane and Lynch, but mostly 8.8 Twilight Princess.

1 Like

8.8 even has it’s own TV Trope:

1 Like

Honestly, I recently saw a video about Jim Ryan and how he said “Who would want to play these games” when talking about older games, and Jesus, who in their right mind says that? Sure, he mentioned the first Gran Turismo and I can definitely imagine it not being so great to play anymore but overall tons and tons of older games are fantastic to play.

BC is absolutely huge and Sony is missing out biiiiiig time by not having PS2 and PS3 games available and also PS1 for a few games that stood the test of time.

2 Likes

Man what a sad thing to read sony canceling projects reminds us of Xbox 8th gen puts into perspective of Kojima going to Xbox and Shawn layden leaving so suddenly is quite telling keep it going Microsoft get these talented folks on your side

Guys Sony’s strategy is pretty simple, they’ll narrow down their first-party games to the same games, with one or two “risky” venture in there.

Then they’ll buy exclusivity for any “creative AAA” out there, that way they won’t assume the risk for themselves, they just need to keep all those third-parties always from the competition, this adds nothing to the game and is really bad, but that’s exactly what we’re seeing right now.

I hope this strategy crash and burn.

And here I was hoping that they would build more creative and diverse games to compete with Xbox…

3 Likes

this is why i encourage dropping xbox live gold requirement it’s double punch to sony, all of these 3P deal money comes from PSN subs .

3 Likes

The VR market is already niche, so Sony pushing big on their version of a niche VR headset doesn’t sound like a good investment. It really is a shame they’re stuck in this position.

4 Likes

its a fantastic game imo

People had ALOT of problems with the Wii Motion Plus controls. Even Miyamoto did famously at the E3 Stage. That’s when people went… “Ohhhhhh”