Japanese games. I just don't get it!

Raises hand. For me it went NES → PC → Xbox

1 Like

Games like Danganronpa aren’t for everyone, I can absolutely see that. Give the Yakuza games a try, start with Yakuza 0.

Like others mentioned already…Mario, Donkey Kong are all Japanese characters and games. Resident Evil games. Castlevania is a Japanese, Silent Hill is too if I’m not mistaken. Maybe try a JRPG like Tales of Arise where they don’t go over the top (based on the demo for me) with revealing clothes.

Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Elden Ring.

And so on.

Those souls games are western influenced. Same with RE.

JRPGs have been one of my favorite genres since Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior on the NES. There’s a unique vibe to Japanese games that I love. I have gravitated more and more to Western games over time though.

3 Likes

If you are referring to JRPGs then probably Yakuza is your best bet (it’s not a typical JRPG - more of a adventure) but I can’t get into JRPGs either. I’m not a fan of the typical games like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, NeiR and Persona etc. I am however a big fan of WRPG’s!

If you are referring to Japanese games in general then there are loads of amazing franchises out there.

The best fighters are Japanese IMO - Tekken, Dead or Alive and Street Fighter.

Resident Evil and Devil May Cry from Capcom are fantastic action adventure games.

SEGA covers so many genres that it’s difficult to narrow it down to just a select few.

Not my cup of tea but the Souls games are also highly acclaimed.

Lastly Nintendo are of course Japanese and make some of the best games in the industry (Mario, Zelda & Pokémon), it just depends on the genre you like.

I know what you mean , man. Playing Elden Ring and wondering what all these Japanese Schoolgirls are doing running around Caelid fighting with monsters and shit. Looks so out of place and brings down the experience.

3 Likes

When people ask for more japanese games, they ask for more japanese dev support, that includes various genres and different types of games, Publishers and so on.

Capcom, Square, Sega and Bandai Namco are big names that regularly support Xbox, save from some moneyhats… There’s still many minor devs out there that need to support Xbox on a more common basis.

3 Likes

Agreed. I think western game development has just completely surpassed what their Japanese counterparts have been pumping out over the last couple gens.

My favorite franchises are Final Fantasy and Tekken, but I prefer Xbox overall because the general western philosophy towards gaming appeals to me on a grander scale

I wish Japanese studios the best however

1 Like

I think Elden Ring just proved this as wrong considering the general consensus is that that’s game of the year. Game of the decade for most. On top of that western games like Horizon and Ubisoft games are being directly compared to Elden Ring with people saying Elden Ring fixes a lot of open world problems the west tends to have.

2 Likes

Games like BotW, Elden Ring, and even Dragons Dogma benefitted greatly from strong western influences. I wont deny their strengths.

1 Like

I would beg to differ on that. Far Cry 6 is a much better game IMO. Japanese studios aren’t quite dominating like they used to be, but there’s still some amazing Japanese developed games Resident Evil Village is just amazing and RE7 was my fav game on the last gen. I’ve been very happy with SEGA’s recent output too really enjoyed the likes of Last Judgment and the last few Yakuza’s games and so wish Sakura Wars would come to XBox, the PS4 game is amazing.

I really miss the old Team Ninja magic mind. Such a shame the team had to break up. Ninja Gaiden 2 is still the best action game I 've ever played

1 Like

You like far cry 6 better than elden ring you mean?

1 Like

Kingdom hearts 4 announced. Most likley ps5 exclusive but if this game is anything like 3. No loss.

Yep.

1 Like

Interesting take

Well, I know it’s cool to hate Ubisoft and EA, but I also found Immortals and Fallen Order to be better games too

2 Likes

I don’t think people consider it “cool” to hate on ubi or ea, and I don’t think many people do actually. Plus I never implied I hate ubi or ea games, I enjoy them from time to time, it’s just that you liking far cry 6 better than elden ring is an opinion I don’t think I’ve come across before now, that’s why I said interesting take.

Have you played FarCry 6? It’s a really good game and a return to form for the team.

I haven’t, I don’t know why you’re implying that I’m somehow hating on far cry 6. Again, all I’m saying is I haven’t heard anyone comparing those games and putting far cry above elden ring. Most people I’ve seen review elden ring put it among the best games they’ve ever played, people I’ve seen review far cry, say it’s just another far cry.

No its not. The story is lackluster and none of the characters i cared for. That design of game im also done with. Repeteitve missions, uninspired progression and too much shit going on in the map. I rather go back to playing remastered FC3 as the characters and story were so much more engaging.

Its not about being cool. Its peoples opinions an dthey feel strongly about ubisoft open world games. Thyre like factory. Make a new damn pOP game or rayman instead of copy pasting the same type of game.

4 Likes