Japanese games. I just don't get it!

Thats because it is. Of course there will be people who enjoy FC more than ER. But if youre looking for a consensus majority will not go with that opinion.

1 Like

I agree with OP beside Final Fantasy and Resident Evil and Dark Souls i don’t care much for most Japanese games cause it the same shit animie school girl look with cheesy jokes and dialogue that drag on and on and bloat the game playtime and add nothing to the game at all

1 Like

Repetitive missions are the norm in Open world games, I agree with you on there’s too many side mission on the map at any one time, but I like the game setting and it’s story and cast of characters and visually its also very nice, a dame sight better than From’s latest game

I’m not implying at all, I was simply asking. Its very nice game and I found it a lot better than Fromsoftware offering

Well there is Xenoblade, Mario, Zelda, Yakuza, Kingdom Hearts, Nier … :slight_smile:

Technically its probablt better but i prefer ER art style.

ER doesnt have repetetive missions because there are no missions. Youre just going your own route. Thats why these games will win the acolades.

Noone is saying you cant enjoy one more than the other. Just dont get annoyed when yiur fav games dont win the recognition. And thats not to you specificlaly but in general.

I think nowadays japanese games - aside VN - are relatively westernized. But I remember in the past the common trait of japanese games was the excessive grind. Not sure.

Also you usually had to kill some god (or god-like entity) at the end if it was JRPG.

1 Like

There are various settings, themes, styles and genres in both Western and Japanese developer scenes that trying to brush off something as big as one of the above as “stupid anime girls” or “generic white dudes” is doing a disservice on the developer’s work.

Also I never thought of something like Western vs Japanese games regarding my taste in gaming, if a game interests me I couldn’t care less from what country the developer comes from. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

They are still objectives and side quests (if you want to collection objects Ect) in ER. Repetitive missions or endless side quests are in many an open world games and some times not just open world games; I found many of the missions (Get Stars) in Mario Sunshine to be repetitive. Sorry to correct you, Far Cry 6 is far from my fav openworld game this or lastgen. I just found it better than what Fromsoftware did

I enjoyed Halo Infinite far better than either truth be told

I heavily disagree. Halos open world is incredibly repetetive with basiclaly the same missions broken down into sectors. It sjust that its fun to play due to the gameplay. An open world has to be immersive and allow players to explore without telling them where to go. Those are the best. But enjoyijg something isnt tailored to a certain design of that world. It can simply be the gameplay. Now if you want to say the gameplay is better thats a more closer argument.

I don’t agree sorry. Like in life, it’s nice to know where you have to go and what to do. I’m more a fan of a linear style of game myself, but do enjoy some open world games.

I also don’t quite agree with you over Halo Infinite either, I actually liked the story to a Halo game for a change and the growing bond between MC the Weapon and Echo-216

The argument is about the open world not the story and while the game is really fun and has a decent story its game world consist of camps you CAN clear or ignore. It is less bloated bacause it is less content in general compared to something like FC6

I dont disagree with that it is less bloated but halo isnt open world in scale like those games just has a large open area thats sort of put in the middle of the game.

You dont have to agree. But the majoriy will. Hence why those games are more highly rated. And why sre you comparing it to real life? Not everyone wants to be told what to do or where to go…unless youre driving long distant somewhere

I didnt say anything about halos story. I was talking about the level design.

You’re definitely on the mark with that. Grinding is a hallmark in a lot of JRPGs. Some people enjoy it regardless, for me, it really depends on the game. Disgaea and Bravely Default come to mind of games where the grind is a lot of fun but without it you’re going to struggle in the end game. FFX was another notorious one.

I too enjoy story and structure over wandering around aimlessly and discovering lore

Good on ya :call_me_hand:

Those are absolutely fantastic games! Are there people who consider them bad? O.o

1 Like

Imagine caring what country a game was made in more than if it’s a good game or not. Also miss me with this “every Japanese game is like anime” nonsense. Imagine if i judged every western made game by the average AAA and said they’re nothing but wannabe movies more interested in setpieces, and telling their mostly poorly written stories more than actual player agency , based on whatever Sony or Ubisoft game i played that week.

I noticed this kinda thing is prevalent among this current generation of gamers, i didn’t see too much of this nonsense in the 90’s or even early 2000’s for that matter. Elden Ring craps on most of the recent overhyped AAA’s that have come out recently. Not because it’s Japanese but because it does the whole “open world” thing better than many of those games and i grantee will be copied by many devs on either side of the pacific. Great games are great games no matter where they come from.

1 Like

ER also gives you insane amount of content for a 60 dollar game and doesn’t charge you 90 dollars day 1 for a season pass. Now if they add DLC and it costs money…cool. I’m fine with that. But most publishers out there charge you near 100 bucks right away. Like fuck off with that shit. Yes you have a choice but its clearly an impulse tactic. Hoe many people that pay for gold editions actually play the extra content? majority probably forget about the game by then. But its cool the publisher got that extra cash.

1 Like

I like a game to have a story and cast of characters I care about, its something Far Cry 6, GTA and Halo Infinite nailed for me . I also found their game world to be far more interesting than From’s offering or indeed Zelda: BOTW.

I didn’t like Fromsoftware offering and I find it no fun in a game not to know where you have to go or what you have to do, never mind dying a million times

I don’t think the Japanese do open world games that good myself, that said there’s not many Western developed open world games that I like LOL