Is Red Dead Redemption 2 overrated or is it a good game?

:face_with_spiral_eyes:

I know the GTA games are popular and all, but as someone who absolutely love both RDR games, and am decidedly lukewarm on GTA, I am gobsmacked at this take.

For my money it’s filet mignon vs. McDonald’s. One may be more popular, but there’s absolutely no argument to be made which is a more qualitative experience.

Except of course that’s nonsense. Games and the experience we have with them is (mostly) subjective. I know that, I was just so taken aback by your comment about one of my absolute favourite games of all time not coming close to a series of games that’s certainly not in my top 50, and maybe not even my top 100, were I to make such lists.

But we’re all different. I’m glad you enjoy GTA, and I’m sorry for your loss re: Rockstar not making more single-player entries any time soon.

To answer OP:

Obviously my vote is that it’s not overrated. But to address the Ubisoftification of it all: Yes, there’s A LOT of side stuff you can do if you want. From hunting specific animals, to finding pieces of treasure maps, to running into strangers in the wild who is in need of assistance one way or another. But at no point will you feel forced to do any of it, and it’s always obvious what you need to do next if all you want is the main plot.

1 Like

Thank you. I’m not gonna lie it has been difficult at times but I’m making it through. God willing someday we will have a new single player GTA again.

1 Like

It’s really good and it’s a shame Rockstar did not support it with more SP content. Getting sick of them doing this and only catering to crazy MP MTX’s. The game made more then enough money to justify some SP DLC content.

4 Likes

From what I’ve played so far, still chapter 2 it’s fantastic but like Mort does, I live in that game as well. From hunting to setting up a camp, eating and drinking something, sleeping, side quest, bit of story. Maybe buy some new outfits or a horse, or go plant collecting and so on.

Unbelievable how detailed this game is. If GTA 6 is as detailed as this…oh my. That being said, I took a break and it’s been almost a month now I think, damn.

1 Like

Personally I connected with RDR1 more, I tried to get into the second one but struggled. Visually it is spectacular and the mechanics are clearly much better too.

It is on my list to revisit though, I was going through lots of personal **** when I originally played it so I couldn’t give it the attention and/or time it deserved. Maybe 2022 will give me the chance to revisit it :wink:.

It’s one of the best games I ever played!! Arthur Morgan is that dude!! Sadie Adler is that lady!! Just greatness!!

I wish we had gotten a Sadie expansion, following her bounty hunting adventures.

1 Like

If they ever made RDR3 and want to tie it into the existing story I’d be more than happy if this was the route they took

1 Like

Right!!!

I’ve played Red Dead Redemption 2 around 2 hours so far. It’s okay I guess. I really don’t think the graphics are that impressive (30fps, lots of motion blur), and the gameplay is clunky but I’m enjoying the story so far as I realized it’s a prequel and seeing the RDR1 main playable character makes me interested in seeing what will happen.

I’ll just play the story missions and ignore everything else.

It both, a great game and overrated.

1 Like

I absolutely loved it. The world is beautiful and it tells such a great story where you care for Arthur.

Took about 5 hours to get used to the way the game controls but after that I didnt have many problems.

Its a great must play game

1 Like

I remember when I saw it I thought it looked nice but I dont care about a cowboy game where everything looks the same. Didn’t played it till it came to gamepass. OMG it blew me away. It’s in my top 5 games of all time now. I hope we get a next gen update one day and ill 100% it. Literally some of the best writing in a game. It still amazes me that god of war got more game of the year awards that year. Both games are a 10 but Red dead is just on another level.

2 Likes

Even if you hate the game, there’s no arguing that it’s a good game. Incredible that it exists to be quite honest.

This is what I’ve been waiting for. Sadly, it sounds like Rockstar dropped those plans after they let the terrible GTA trilogy “remaster” go through and it bombed (from their internal perspective).

Dropping X|S enhancements because a 3rd party did a terrible port of (if I recall) mobile versions seems like an overreaction.

1 Like

I think it is slightly overrated. It has too much attention to the details to a point where gameplay wise the game is a chore.

It’s only an over-reaction if their plan wasn’t for exactly the same thing to happen with the Current-Gen enhancements – that being spend minimal resources and investments to create an entirely new product to sell. I have no doubts they would not have provided it as a free update or even a cheap $10 patch.

Fair point! I suppose I hyper focus on the smart delivery feature Xbox has been pretty good at so far.

I forget about some games that don’t have smart delivery. Rockstar probably would double dip for X|S enhancements. I belive they did that with GTA V, yes? So your scenario of little work to sell a full priced rehash is very likely the path they were planning to take.

Yeah, I mostly want to give studios the benefit of the doubt, but it’s a little harder to extend it to some when they have history so my pessimistic side kicks in. If nothing else they should at least make a Gen9Aware versions that allows for better resolution scaling and some better filtering. Other publishers have provided that and for free. The fact that they’re much larger and haven’t done that yet doesn’t instill confidence or trust.

1 Like

Unpopular opinion: I often prefer last gen versions of really old games (depending on the game). Who the fuck has free space on their current gen systems? I’d say it’s usually preferable to just keep last generation games on an 8tb hard drive.

1 Like