Inside Cyberpunk 2077's Disastrous Rollout

My “theory” is that CDPR didn’t allow reviewers to show footage of the game because they knew it was an absolute state.

You know, the basic truth of what happened. The game was an absolute state at launch, even after the magical day one patch that was apparently justification for not allowing anyone who was buying the product to actually see the product. I know this because I was there, day one, playing the game. It was an unfinished mess. It still is an unfinished mess in some ways, but that’s another story.

Allow me to now have a little yawn of my own, at your entirely predictable position here. In a sense you’re correct. Nothing you say will change my mind because all you do is deny the reality of this game & lash out against any criticism of it, no matter how valid, defending it to the last breath. I’ve been here before with you in particular. I’m not wasting any more of my time on you.

1 Like

It can’t. Sometimes things are just black & white. This is one of those times.

But one thing I’ve come to realise over the years is that there’s always someone online willing to wash those corporate balls. It’s better to just ignore these people & move on.

As with any journo. people should keep in mind that anyone writing an article will have an angle or hook they want to use to sell their story (and in this case get clicks), Jason’s particular favourites are pretty well known from his previous work, but, if you read this one side by side with his article on crunch at naughty dog you will note a different tone throughout. One is a lot more pejorative than the other and the twitter threads following each also seem to show the same trend.

With any news media you consume you need to take into account who wrote it and what their particular bias is when judging the output. I don’t generally read Jason’s stuff any more because I don’t agree with his take on a lot of things you could for example take away the view that he is saying crunch/bad project management is OK if you like the final output (TLoU2) but not if you don’t (CP2077).

I haven’t played CP yet and hadn’t planned to until next gen patches because I expected this scenario to play out as it has was pretty easy to see what was going to happen in advance all the signs were there.

Also interesting to see all the twitterites who were screaming about how the delays to release date were not acceptable now crying about the state the game was released in.

1 Like

You mean recent videos from them, or back when the delay was announced ?

Like if the game wasnt in such bad shape why did we get an apology video THIS WEEK from the studio promising fixes, free dlc, etc.

I don’t think Gamepass eliminates all pressure. We are at its infancy. So as such there is a lot more freedom to deliver and mediocrity is forgiven. However, down the road big expensive projects will undoubtedly have pressure to deliver continued growth. What goes unsaid with CDPR is that they have a massive advantage over other western developers due to low wages and overhead. The business side got this launch completely wrong but it is also fair to acknowledge that the reality of the situation might have been that even given the aforementioned wage advantages they had to get a product out the door.

1 Like

People are mistaking perspective for ‘defending the game’. The game is absolutely brilliant on Series X which I’m playing it on (and my Series S for that matter - also brilliant). But nobody is attempting to defend the last gen console versions.

I think someone saying that ‘its not a fact they deliberately tried to mislead people’ is not a defence - its just stating that these games come together late. CDPR thought their last patch would improve last gen performance more than it did. It didn’t. Is that something that they should be forgiven for? No. But the number of people making out like this is definitely greedy executives knowing the game was broken on last gen just pushing it out anyway - and whilst it MIGHT be that - nobody knows it is. And why would CDPR do that? What would they gain? I suspect they genuinely thought it was better than it was. And ran out of time to properly QA it…which is consistent with the information that’s come out.

Nowhere does anyone claim that the execs knew the last gen performance and end product but just pushed it out anyway - AND if that was the case the question has to be why would they do that?

1 Like

Because business.

But what does that mean? I doubt a company like CDPR who have been trying to enhance their reputation would take such a risk just to try and coin the cash in. EA maybe. But CDPR? Nah. So perhaps they’d run out of money?

You can keep asserting things but that doesn’t make them accurate. Your responses are bad faith and not conducive to anything resembling actual discussion. You ignored points ya find inconvenient and then just re-assert things without any argument behind them. And now you’re projecting. Great.

It’s really telling how emotionally invested in trashing the game some of you folks are. Opinions are not ‘objective’ by definition. When you respond to EXPLANATIONS about WHY something happened with accusations or assertions that said explanation is an excuse for something, you are giving away that you aren’t actually intending to have a discussion where folks arrive at a conclusion so much as asserting your conclusions and pretending opinions are facts. That’s bad faith. I’m sure ya folks find it real cathartic due to venting your anger at the game or whatnot, but it’s not what constructive discussions are made of.

The position that decisions by CDPR were made to deliberately mislead and hide something here are unfounded because there are other, more powerful explanations that require fewer assumptions and align to industry norms. You can EXPLAIN why the game launched the way it did without invoking any effort at all by them to be deceptive or malicious in their intent. This fact doesn’t go away just because ppl are on the internet being angry about it. Discussion should lead to conclusions, not the other way around.

2 Likes

What does EA have to do with this?

Also CD Projekt Red is valued at like 7 billion so that excuse dont really fly.

Re-read the comment. Zappy was saying they think that EA might do what you accuse CDPR of doing, since they have a history of shipping games and designing games even at the expense of the gamer’s experience if it means more $$$ in the short term. Zappy is saying CDPR has no such history of doing anything resembling that kinda thing, hence Zappy doubts that accusation has much merit.

1 Like

This is the kinda emotionally driven garbage post that is bad faith and conducive to precisely zero meaningful discussion. You only posted this out some desire to find cartharsis trashing the game…

It makes no actual discernible point or argument nor did you include those in the post. Come on now folks. :confused:

1 Like

How does being valued at any amount equate to cash available to continue development? That’s nonsense. Millions of businesses have a value it doesn’t mean they can continue operations or development or whatever for an unlimited amount of time, because it doesn’t equal cash in their bank.

Why are you so desperate to hammer CDPR? We all know they made a huge mistake nobody is defending it. People are simply wanting it placed into some wider context. It makes no sense for CDPR to knowingly release the last gen version of this game just for ££££. So either they had to do it for some reason or they simply just didn’t realise or expect it to be as bad as it was. Neither makes it right. But what’s with this level of bile being thrown at them? Don’t really get the motivation behind it. Capitalism sucks in some ways but so does the culture of picking out individual examples of issues and vilifying them. It’s not the first game to run badly on release and it sure won’t be the last.

1 Like

What? Man it just sums up everything that is wrong with the game.

Also just deflecting to EA is might do this when they havent is just a form of deflection for a game that has been a disaster.

…no, it offers zero commentary at all actually. Did you watch it before posting?

You are somehow misreading Zappy’s posts…that is not AT ALL what is being said. Take a step back from the thread for a bit maybe and then re-read their post.

Everyone arguing about the game has actually played the game properly, right?

I’m 70h+ in and having a great time on the XSX.

2 Likes

I mean I have no problem that people enjoy a game cause what kind of asshole would I be lol. Think the discussions here come the insinuation that just because one had a nice playthrough the criticism is some sort of piling on being undeserved over the state of the game that it launched and everything that went into it.

1 Like

Yeah it’s magic. Not on Xbox one or PS4 though.

I corrected myself and I think it’s a key point : it’s not that it isn’t a good game, it’s just not good enough knowing the CDPR pedigree.

They hyped the game as the new reference for open world games and innovative quests design, but clearly, it did not panned out for numerous reasons. It’s on them as they launched the game knowing it would be rough on most of the machines it would be played on.

3 Likes