IGN: Gears 5 Series X update brings New Game+; story DLC coming later this year

This is awesome news! Gears 5 looks fantastic :slight_smile:

And story DLC? YES! It seems like Rod leaving TC was great on many fronts.

Also, the crazyperson on otherEra was right way back when about the Hivebusters after all…

1 Like

I think that came from the GDC video they put out. It was a “Behind the scenes at The Coalition” thing, and one of the monitors clearly showed the Hivebusters characters in a cutscene that wasn’t in the game.

2 Likes

Ah, I can’t remember the exact timelines of those rumours.

1 Like

LOL! :wink:

4 Likes

Is the Hivebusters expansion free or paid? If it’s paid, has the price been announced yet?

Also, for Gears 5, the decision I made is probably the opposite of what the vast majority chose.

1 Like

They said more details in early December. So probably paid, but the price is unknown.

I think I also made that choice.

1 Like

Personally i hope 6 has a different playable character. Gears 4 we had JD, 5 was Kait, i hope we can go back to Marcus if i’m being completely honest. JD, Kait and the others…hey they are cool but Marcus is just much more interesting. Which really makes sense, he’s been there since day one.

But the story isn’t done yet. So it’ll probably be Kait.

1 Like

Can the DLC be played immediately or do you need to complete the base game first? I don’t have the save file for the base game and have zero interest in replaying the game so im hoping I can jump right into the DLC.

1 Like

Unknown right now. Since it’s not the same characters, I would guess it’s a seperate option on the main menu and can just be jumped into.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s true. Wouldn’t make much sense to go through the entire campaign again for the save file when it’s all different characters. Looking forward to it. Hoping it’s 6 hours or so. I’ll be happy with that.

1 Like

It’s 3-4, according to the IGN article.

1 Like

Okay, cool. Thanks.

1 Like

Awesome news. Can’t wait to play the game again.

1 Like

Not a big gears fan and it’s probably the reason why I’m struggling to enjoy Gears 5.

But are they seriously replacing the single best character Marcus and voice acting in the game with Bartisa in SP+?

This is great! I played through Gears 5 twice. My favorite missions with the linear ones (1st and last). I’m hoping this DLC sticks with that formula. The combat in Gears 5 was top notch. The experimental things they did with the franchise were more miss than hit though. Hope this tries to stick with basics.

Not 100% sure but I do think it’s optional to replace Marcus with Batista.

Acts for me > ACT IV > ACT I > ACT II > ACT III.

I didn’t like the desert area at all. It should have been ACT II instead of ACT III. Basically, it should have been switched with ACT II. I don’t mind the linear levels being more open for more encounters but I don’t want to “explore” in Gears as that’s not what it’s meant to be.

I do hope the story expansion is what you’re hoping for. Stealth in Gears 5 was horrible and shouldn’t even be in the game. Melee combat could have been great but sacrificing a gun for a melee weapon especially when it has a durability level was another negative.

Some may disagree with the following but I hope for Gears 6, they add a weapon wheel ala Far Cry and let me just use the RB button to throw grenades without having to use the directional pad to equip them.

With that all said, I am looking forward to this expansion. I rated Gears 5 a 9/10 as it was my 5th best game of 2019 so I don’t mind a stopgap while waiting for Gears 6.

It’s optional. You can apply skins to characters. One of Marcus’ optional skins is Batista.

I agree with the grenades, not with the weapons wheel.

I just believe that using the directional pad for equipping/switching weapons is obsolete. Plus, I would like to be able to have more than just two main guns and one handgun. Plus, if they fix up the melee combat, that could be in the weapon wheel as well as the guns instead of a melee weapon replacing a main gun.

Carrying more than 2 weapons is what I take issue with :joy: