IGN: Gears 5 Series X update brings New Game+; story DLC coming later this year

When Gears 5 makes its way to Xbox Series X and Series S on November 10, it’ll get a big campaign and multiplayer content update to go with it.

The Coalition is taking its shot at Gears 5 story DLC in December, Gears developers told IGN, and it’ll be available on the Xbox One, PC, and Xbox Series consoles

All I can say is December and the title is Hivebusters, so it might give you a little hint as to what that content might contain,” said Zoe Curnoe, Gears 5 principal lead producer. “That’ll be available on the new consoles as well, so it’ll be optimized for those two.”

Gears 5 Campaign New Game+ Details

To put it simply, Gears 5’s New Game+ is a more customizable experience coming to all versions of Gears 5 that won’t need to be unlocked regardless of where you’re playing. Here’s a rundown of the new features you’ll find for the campaign on November 10:

• Two new difficulty modes (Ironman and Inconceivable)
  • Character Skins for Kait, Del, and JD
  • Weapon Skins
  • Jack upgrades carry over
  • Mutators (Big head mode, etc)
  • New achievements

Batista Joins the Campaign

Batista, Dave Bautista’s WWE persona, made his first appearance in Gears 5 multiplayer. After plenty of support and enthusiasm from Bautista and the community, Batista is getting his Gears 5 campaign debut as an optional skin for Marcus Phoenix complete with a new voice over.

Operation 5 Brings Versus Changes

Gears 5’s multiplayer has had a number of large updates called Operations since launch, and Operation 5 features a change that came directly from player feedback.

Xbox Series X Visual Upgrades

Another spot Rayner said players will notice a difference is in Gears 5’s cinematics. They’ll now run at 60 frames per second rather than 30 frames per second as they did originally. Rayner said this is just one of the many other visual upgrades they’ve been able to make on the hardware for a more seamless performance and a generally higher level of detail.

Check the full interview for more details given by the developers about the next-gen version of Gears 5!

11 Likes

Also looks like the Hivebusters DLC is real! Article:

Coming December it looks like, with an estimated playtime of 3-4 hours.

6 Likes

Nice! I will update the OP!

1 Like

Nice!

2 Likes

Coalition coming in clutch for launch!

4 Likes

More Gears is always welcome

1 Like

Hey look, they have an OPTIONAL change to Marcus’s face and voice acting in the campaign and it didn’t cost us £20/€20/$20 extra.

6 Likes

After how Gears 5 ended I’m very curious what’s gonna be covered in the DLC. Will we still play as Kait or maybe someone else? And about that very drastic and kind of out of the blue choice, which one will end up being canon?

2 Likes

The DLC focuses on Team Scorpio, a squad of 3 from the Escape mode. Not really related to the main story.

1 Like

Ooooh, I see.

I don’t mind that. New campaign stuff is all I wanted, let’s go!

1 Like

It’s called hive buster, it’s going to be based on lahni, mac and keegan :slight_smile: If it has anything to do with the main story I’d be amazed, maybe Hoffman will have a cameo, and maybe Cole’s daughter?

And I think they can get around the choice at the end of gears 5 by having both actors record lines etc.

I think gears 5 death made me a lot sadder, than the deaths in gears 2 & 3. (Gears 3 death was a bit comical and could’ve easily been avoided)

Edit: beaten already.

1 Like

Well, I’m definitely curious where TC will take us with this team. Will it take place around the same time of Gears 5 story, is it after, or way before? Hopefully we get some good old narrow corridor action because that is where in my opinion Gears shines.

This is all part of the free update or will the story DLC likely cost some money?

2 Likes

No, it’s not part of the free update that’s coming on November 10. The DLC will launch sometime in December. Regarding pricing and the relation to the main story, they said they will share more details in early December so we’ll see then.

1 Like

Good to know. I don’t mind it that much if it doesn’t continue the Gears 5 story, as long as it’s more campaign action I’m good! A new team sounds interesting.

2 Likes

This makes me laugh :joy:

1 Like

I just don’t understand Xbox sometimes. This easily could have been packaged up and promoted like Spiderman. Showing off the new graphics and the the DLC with adverts that it is built for series x and S etc…

Announced at a show and giving some good billing.

It’s big news yet it’s shoved our via an IGN story…

What on earth do they think about?

1 Like

Kinda wish it was Kait-centric DLC, I don’t really care for the Hive characters, but there’s always Gears 6. :slight_smile:

1 Like

How do I not know who Batista is? :thinking: Can someone explain which gears he’s from or any details please?

1 Like

They don’t have characters yet, except in the comic I guess. No one cares for them now, that’s what this DLC is gonna try to change and fix.

2 Likes

4 Likes