If people think Zenimax games will come to PS5, why not future Ninja Theory, Obsidian, Compulsion games aswell?

Precisely. Every now and then, a Switch like game, like Ori, gets its release later. PS? Oh, you can get our persistent online games, Fallout 76 and Elder Scrolls Online. And that’s it.

2 Likes

I agree that this is most likely what will happen. I am actually surprised how many gaming journalists seem convinced that there is no way Microsoft will not release games like Elder Scrolls on to PlayStation when I actually think that is by far the most likely outcome unless they all of a sudden become complete GaaS.

5 Likes

That’s called despair.

6 Likes

I am going to be kinder and say they are still in shock lol. One day they will come to the realisation that games like Doom, Elder Scrolls, Starfield and Fallout will most likely be exclusive to Xbox, PC and Game Pass.

2 Likes

Bc they are in denial

1 Like

Get ready for the flood of posts and articles about how it is Philosophically Not Okay that Fallout etc. is exclusive to Xbox, and how it’s completely different from Street Fighter or Final Fantasy being exclusive to PS, for Reasons.

3 Likes

Here’s another thing to consider. We’re talking about the PS5 here, not the PS4. So technically we still don’t have an idea of what the userbase will be. People keep on assuming that all 112 million of those PS4 user will carry over to the PS5, when that could possibly be not the case.

I think Microsoft will have to weigh the benefits of selling 70 USD games to X amount of ps5 users, as compared to keeping these titles exclusive to xbox + pc. If they keep these titles exclusive, they may be able to attract more people to the xbox ecosystem, which may mean more money being spent in that ecosystem. The money they may earn from that may be larger than what they would earn from selling x amount of units of Starfield to PS5 owners.

Honestly i wouldn’t be surprised with whatever decision MS comes up with. The reasoning behind both sides of the argument seems sound.

1 Like

Kinder?

I think any exclusives should be a trade off - we’ll let you have ES6 on PS5 but we want your exclusives on xbox. Ultimately people, even here, act like Sony exclusives are sacrosanct whereas anything Xbox has is ‘not fair’. I’m a bit fed up with that. If Sony want these games then make them open up their walled garden.

2 Likes

If Microsoft wants Xbox to be a giant platform they will keep all first party games exclusives. If they don’t care about Xbox, then they better leave the console business. Putting first party games on other platforms will devalue the brand and will hurt the other teams (Obsidian, Ninja Theory, Playground ect). Hopefully @XboxP3 will be clear with us on this.

3 Likes

This is good idea, if they want TES 6 give us Horizon 2, if they want Hellblade 2 give us GoW 2 and so on.

2 Likes

The minute gamepass hits 50 million + all their games will be gamepass exclusive!!

I know right? I half think that’s what Phil will do. Say to them, we think people should be able to play where they want - but do you?

I’m still shocked how even on this forum people behave like Sony exclusives are untouchable…yet Xbox shouldn’t have any…I personally think exclusives should be a thing of the past and systems opened up but there we are…

1 Like

They will make a return of their investment with subs.

Putting the games on ps5 goes directly against their goal of adding subscriptions because if their users are able to just buy the games on a platform where they can’t sub they are less likely to go to a different platform to subscribe.

2 Likes

I think it’s a few things…

Some believe MS will keep being the good guy, they released two Ori games for Switch, brought Banjo to Smash. Minecraft is on PS4 as well.

Other (media) are in denial or genuinely believe that it’s a given MS will release the games on PS as well. Because they would still get a lot of money from PS copies sold. BGS games like TES, Fallout are guaranteed big sellers, but what I wonder is wouldn’t there be more profits if they keep it exclusive and so that people buy a Xbox for it or subscribe to Game Pass instead?

And because MS said it will be a case by case basis they believe it’s definitely gonna happen. What exactly is meant with this remains to be seen too. Anyone know?

And I think many still can’t fathom what just happened, haha.

Logically they’ve just paid $7.5BN - IF they maintain the same publishing model Zenimax had - e.g. publishing on Xbox, PC and PS5 - where is their return? Whereas if they drive people into the xbox and gamepass ecosystem then I think a case can be made…

Exactly. What is the point of releasing system seller games like Elder Scrolls or Fallout on the PS5 especially when Sony has PSNow? if anything this goes against the whole locking customers to their ecosystem goal that they have with Game Pass, I am pretty sure MS wants more people spending money on their platforms and the first step is having a subscription with system sellers to entice players into their ecosystem and then the best case scenario is all those customers spending money on buying games, DLC e.t.c.

3 Likes

People need to realize that when Phil or someone else says something to the press, it possibly isn’t the whole truth. They can’t answer everything with the truth because sometimes it could reveal some business strategies they want to keep secret until the right moment. That’s why when Phil said, all those times, things like exclusives are not the goal of Xbox strategies he wasn’t exactly telling all the truth - it was their goal, all the time, as the yesterday bombastic event showed us. So, when Phil answers desperate, predictable media questions like “will you release games on other platforms” his answer is dubious, at best. If they are planning to not release anything, they simply won’t answer. It’s much more smart to not reveal all your business plans to the competition - and there are lots of them now: Sony, Nintendo, Google, Amazon.

Cuphead isn’t even a Microsoft game. It’s self published and they don’t own the IP. They just have exclusive rights for the first one and allowed Studio MDHR to bring the game to other platforms aswell. Probably in exchange for special treatment on the sequel

3 Likes

Its also important to remember that xcloud is coming to TVs and I would not be surprised if theres some ultra low cost xbox dongle, so the price of entry for PlayStation owners is very low.

4 Likes