How Should Xbox Marketing Capitalize on Sony's Messaging Issues?

I feel all the cards are on the table now and mostly for a while what happens happens, however xbox can only benefit from leaning in on gamepass especially if game prices stuff becomes a big deal, they also have the cheapest console and it’s seeming increasingly clear “better graphics” isn’t landing this time. But at this point both have problems that aren’t easy or possible to turn around quickly or to capitalize on. Xbox isn’t suddenly gonna have big first party games before mid to late 2021, Sony cant undo their hardware boondoggling and still has a ways to go to catch up in the services battle.

I’d like to see them show off:

• BC enhancements focus, give a clear list of what will be in the library and the enhancements
  • officially reveal their launch lineup and be super crystal clear what’s coming when and on which platforms
  • show legit gameplay demos of every single launch title lasting 5 mins or more
  • highlight every single launch game with blog posts containing new info and what is next gen about it
  • showcase gameplay demos of Fable, Hellblade 2, Forza, AC: Valhalla, FlightSim on XSX
  • showcase Cyberpunk gameplay running on XSX
  • find a way to have Minecraft path traced @ launch
  • really hammer on All Access as the primary method for buying XSS/XSX
  • run side by side demos to show XSS/XSX play games identically on a 1080p TV (this implies PS5 will run them the same as XSS)
  • run Game Pass ads talking up $70 next gen games and drawing stark comparisons to GP
  • announce 1P XGS titles will be $60 and all existing XGS X1 games are getting free next gen upgrades
  • make an ad focused on how complex it is knowing what you’re getting on a competing console but showcasing how All Access is cheap, simple and gets ya more of the best experiences
5 Likes

In this tough economic time, hammering home the value of the system with Gamepass is key.

Series X with Gamepass is a great combo.

Add the peripheral compatibility…

Why pay more for less power and value?

2 Likes

Excellent!

tenor (6)

1 Like

What about this

Showing some Series X Gameplay??

I know it’s crazy but you know I’m just throwing ideas around

5 Likes

lmao it’s started…

in a way I called it Xbox Series S OFFICIALLY CONFIRMED, $299, £249. 512 GB NVME SSD, 60% Smaller than XSX, 1440p up to 120 FPS, Ray-Tracing, All Digital and More

2 Likes

The damage control is starting. What did they say on MS cross gen stance before?

Microsoft slogan at this point should be: “it’s only bad when we do it”

Even Ign’s Ryan Mccafrey has back pedalled on what he said about TROTTR exclusivity, and given sony praise for their Ff16 deal. (he gave Microsoft flak for their deal)

It shouldn’t annoy me as much as it does, but the double standards is beyond annoying.

4 Likes

Price from MS should be a point of differenciation

1 Like

FWIW, I generally find that the press follows the lead set by ResetEra’s rhetoric and folks there are not happy at all.

MS should tap into these messaging mistakes the way Sony did with their ‘used games’ viral video.

5 Likes

RE?

ResetEra. Hoping MS strikes while the iron is hot here.

BOY you can FEEL the anger on that site thru my phone lol

2 Likes

DOH! Should have known! Yeah I don’t think it was a bad show just kind of unremarkable. Didn’t think Sony would give MS any openings after series S|X prices leaked. But man that was bewildering how important details were handled.

I felt the show was really solid, just that the visuals didn’t impress me on really anything. For their platform strategy, I thought their show was good ‘on paper’ but not as exciting in execution. But then the entire platform strategy came crashing down when the other ‘clarifications’ showed up.

2 Likes

I thought the whole thing was that Sony believes in ‘generations’, so why is the Spiderman game and Horizon coming to PS4? Seems very hypocritical and undermining of their own messaging. $70 price for games doesn’t help either.

Honestly, I think MS coming out and saying our first party games will still be $60 is a mic drop moment right now. People are really pissed about the price hike, and this could be a great opportunity for them to entice some of sony’s hardcore fans into their ecosystem. Just hope they don’t stay silent.

1 Like

Announce all first party games will be 60 or under this entire gen in addition to GP, also have much better communication with pre orders.

1 Like

All your next—generation games for just $10/ month

I’d like to see them do a poll asking “Do you want to pay $70 for our next gen XGS games?”…and when everyone says NO, then tomorrow come out and confirmed $60.

1 Like