How does Playstation respond to the Zenimax acquisition?

In all honesty I cannot see anything being as big as the Bethesda buy, I can only see MS out doing that purely because they have the money to buy someone like EA. Sony can buy someone like Remedy and that wouldn’t be huge news and all the other ones that are closer to Sony but those would be a “of course they did” deal and nothing shocking in terms of news.

MS buying Bethesda was out of nowhere and was massive news wise. I do think Sony buying Capcom/Konami would be a great get for them!

3 Likes

You can directly translate the tweet. It has to do with PS4 BC on PS5 by Sony support. Apparently it doesn’t have BC. I think it must be related to the Digital Edition with less CUs and no BC. Theory on my part of course.

I agree with you, it wouldn’t. Besides, Remedy isn’t a private company, this deal would be much more complex than buying any private developer.

they can get rid of jim ryan that would be big!

6 Likes

Perhaps they’ll ask IGN to dig up an anti-trust lawyer to see if the buyout will fall foul of anti-trust regulations in the States

…nah that would be a bit far fetched…

2 Likes

I think they may do some deals with epic , to have fortnite have exclusive features on the PS5, Same with GTA5.

The problem for Sony is - and Bungie is a good example - IF Bungie ever wanted to be acquired, which they currently don’t, but IF they did, and Sony made a move, there is no way on earth that MS wouldn’t step in and better the deal.

The problem Sony have now is they are restricted to either timed exclusive deals - because as the higher selling platform they can make those deals cheaper OR buying up studios that either are better aligned to them via Geography/culture or are ones MS don’t want.

If they pursue timed exclusives then I think they’ll not see any Bethesda games on their platform. And if MS buys others the same will go there.

If I was to describe where Sony are now - its between a rock and a hard place. And I suspect as I’ve heard others speculate their best way is to play nice with MS and cut some reciprocal deals.

8 Likes

They can’t respond this lol

7 Likes

I don’t know if this was mentioned already but someone (I think it was Shinobi?) awhile back mentioned to think about “why Sony are suddenly hungry for timed exclusives” or something like that. Because acquisitions take months to go through Sony might have known what was going on when they couldn’t secure timed exclusivity for Starfield.

The timed exclusives might already be Sony’s response to the Bethesda acquisition along with EA’s games being on Game Pass

I think we’ll definitely see a toning down of the ‘playstation advantage’ deals like Spiderman in the Avengers. Which serve no purpose other than to make other versions of the same game less attractive.

Exclusives are fair game but when your paying to deny content to people on other platforms paying the same price for the same product that’s out of line.

Phil Spencer has said previously he doesnt believe in doing that and his argument is always twisted by fanboys to say he means exclusives. Nope. He means buying timed content for multiplatform games.

Will be interesting to see if Sony wants to push this further in light of this weeks events.

2 Likes

In terms of companies are the likes of Konami or Capcom struggling? I cant see them wanting to sell and after this week the price definitely went up. Even moreso that the real big boys Facebook, Google and others who have aspirations in the gaming world are probably seeking targets as well.

Bluepoint I think are a no brainer at this point that’s the kind of studio Sony probably have already been in talks with and will announce soon.

But Bluepoint come with a good pedigree but do they come with tech, or IPs? Would Sony just use them to remake old playstation games?

1 Like

Yep. Ease down with these timed exclusive deals and who knows, maybe PS5 can have some of the Bethesda pie as well then. But I really can’t see Sony easing down with anything, I just can’t.

I only speak/read English, Dothraki, and Klingon

What does this say

Bluepoint and Housemarque are two studios I fully expect to be picked up by Sony due to their current and prior relationship. They are in acquisition mode themselves and these two are just no brainers.

In regards to what Bluepoint will do, Sony has a rich back catalogue of games so there is no shortage of what they could remake really.

See my edit.

1 Like

They honestly really can’t.

The digital edition doesn’t have less CUs…

The tweet translation was so garbled and out of context I have literally no idea what it means.

We’ll see then.

The PS5 and PS5 DE both have the same specs for CPU, GPU and everything else except for the BluRay drive. If BC would require a BluRay drive (which is likely but unknown) then it would limit the PS5 DE indeed. But it would be the same with the Xbox Series S. If you have the BC game only on disk you can’t play it in BC mode on Series S neither unless Xbox will offer you to change your license to digital.

I know for that. I was just speaking about the chip we still don’t know officially how many CUs both PS5 have right?