How does Playstation respond to the Zenimax acquisition?

Sony is going to keep gobbling up timed third party exclusives, a studio here and there. That seems to be their plan.

If they wanted to get spicy, they could buy Bungie.

I would assume the price for timed exclusivity just went up.

2 Likes

There’s not much they can do. Most of the rest of the companies are publicly traded and they would be outbid. They’re a relatively small company compared to MS, Apple, Facebook, Google.

I think their biggest problem now is the lack of diversity in their games. Tastes change over time and there’s only so many times you can roll out cinematic action games and keep the same level of interest.

Any money they spend on acquisitions should be on diversifying their portfolio.

5 Likes

Yep like when they tried to buy Leyou.

Agreed they cornered themselves in a genre and were hoping to bank on it repeatedly ad nauseam but nope. You can see the last of us blueprint on their games.

They need big diversification

2 Likes

First off I am not concern trolling, but giving a genuine observation.

I do also agree that Sony has had enormous success with their 3rd person action games and clearly most of their studios are geared towards making those games. However, gaming tastes can and do change and there may come a point in time where those type of games fall out of favour.

Sony do need to diversify their games a a bit, so they can remain agile which is why the Leyou purchase would have been a smart one for them.

3 Likes

I never said or thought you were at all. I completely agree their output is too samey

I know but it’s not for you persay, but for any user who might have that impression :wink:. I am way past console war BS because I am a grown man and just want to play games :+1:.

1 Like

No problem. :+1:

3 Likes

Playstation responds by announcing back compat with the ps4 is only for a handful of games at launch

5 Likes

That would just be cruel.

Look at that it is worrying

https://twitter.com/moyomoto_japan/status/1308483113211686912

[Sony Support Center “It doesn’t work even if I put a PS4 Disc in PS5.” … I’m not sure, but I’ll keep the PS4 Pro instead of selling it!

Thank you for the information, Mr. Nabaken. It seems that it was a horror created by the misunderstanding between me and Mr. Support. However, I will bring the PS4 Pro instead of selling it! Kashiko]

Sony should offer up next Spider - Man on Xbox a year after PS5 launch in exchange for MS to provide Skyrim a year after Xbox launch :grin:

No thanks I don’t want these deals, it just weakens the GP value proposition

1 Like

Yeh I’m just messin, it would never happen anyway, Sony just doesn’t roll like that.

1 Like

If I was Sony, I’d call up Microsoft and ask how much we are worth to them.

Queitly sell themselves to Microsoft, continue with the release of both the ps5 and xbox series x consoles, so warriors can think they are supporting sony.

Then boom all xbox games come to ps5 and all sony games come to xbox series x, whilst those of us who just love video games would be happy because we can enjoy every game on one ecosystem.

Fan boys would be having the biggest meltdown off their life.

It would be glorious, obviously this will never happen, plus the competition from both Microsoft and Sony to push both companies to strive/innovate, is good for us.

2 Likes

Translation please?

Sony is stubborn, I’m willing to bet they will push that timed exclusivity nonsense further. This is exactly the point where I hope MS will play hardball as well. Say Sony ends up acquiring FromSoft, best believe they will try all they can to NOT have Elden Ring released on Xbox and needless to say they will keep it all to PS. If I was MS I’d carefully watch what Sony does in terms of that and act accordingly too.

This is something I can only get behind, who could hate on this? Haha. But that’s not going to happen.

2 Likes

I see a big misconcpetion in the discussion in general. We are not talking about an unfriendly take-over in the meaning that MS or Sony just say, let’s buy them (out). This requires the company that is target of the acquisition to agree with to be acquired. Some of the enterprises are also listed means you need the agreement of the shareholders and somebody else can feel invited into a bidding war, Google or Amazon for instance.

I know a lot of those companies want to stay independent. Ubisoft for instance.

7 Likes

I really don’t see sony paying over 2 billion for fromsoft. Realistically if studios are going to sell they are going to also tell Microsoft they are for sale so they can get top dollar. Besides studios need to want to be bought cant just buy a studio if they don’t want to be bought.

1 Like

Many people said that Microsoft still has a stake on Bungie. If Sony tried to acquire them, Microsoft would have to be informed, so I am sure that deal wouldn’t go the way Sony would imagine. Thus, as Jez Corden has said, Bungie values themselves on billions (yes, more than one). That’s not as easy for Sony as it is for MS.

Precisely. That’s one of the side effects of the Microsoft/Bethesda bomb. Even this won’t be as easy for Sony anymore.

2 Likes