Hot Chips 32, XSX Architecture Deep Dive

The other big thing is the 32bpp RGBE 9995 pixel format. This allows for linear light processing end to end with half the bandwidth of using 64bpp RGBA.

1 Like

They nailed the specs on the Xbox One X to be fair. The Xbox One was a victim of the multimedia strategy at Xbox at the time, but this time Phil Spencer has tasked the hardware team to make a games console first and foremost and it shows.

2 Likes

I’m using an Integra THX/Atmos capable AVR in a 7.2.1 set up. The Atmos supported games and movies are fantastic! No HDMI 2.1, though. :frowning:

I actually prefer movies at home due to HDR and most importantly the clarity of audio and detail per channel. Theaters are so loud and muddied my less-than-average hearing often misses detail and frequently spoken audio.

The immersion in gaming - when done correctly - is so awesome!

Yes, Ori sounds amazing. I’m looking forward to the newer box that runs it much faster than my 1S does. My setup is 7.2.2. I might add a couple more height speakers in the future, but I’m also driving a whole-house sound system 12-zone amplifier off of the bypass. I cannot wait for the DTS PRO upgrade later this year.

Wow! What’s the mortgage on a live-in dance club? :grin::grin:

Can someone post a eli5/TLDR for us simpletons that don’t really know what we are looking at XD

1 Like

House was prewired for sound when it was constructed - it’s our retirement home, custom built. However, it is hard to find multi-zone amplifiers these days, because everyone uses wireless speakers instead. Sucks when all this equipment starts going bad. About 16 years old now, and it is beginning to do so. Replaced the 12-zone amplifier about a year or so ago. I’m going to straight up cry if I have to replace the amplifiers that are running my theater, as those damn things are REALLY expensive, unless I downgrade. I may not even do so, since the AVR seems capable enough. 6700H is a BEAST

I may upgrade the AVR in the living room to the little cousin - 3700H. I like it’s big brother that much

$499, $249-$299 for the Series S.

1 Like

At this point, I will be grateful If it is $499. Somehow I’m doubting it

1 Like

yeah, the black monolith will be pretty expensive, like 600 bucks expensive.

Ya’ll have no faith in MS.

1 Like

Why should we have faith in Microsofts pricing? They priced the Xbox One S All Digital Edition for 249 bucks.

Xbox One X ($+) was 499 and this beast is $++ according to Microsoft themselves.

Honestly just better to be prepared for the shock of $599 than the hope for $499. Even if it is $599 it’s awesome for how powerful the box is.

I made a PDF file with the full Hotchips 2020 slide deck. Can be viewed or downloaded with the following link:

Hotschips 2020 XboxSeriesX Slide deck

13 Likes

So, for the people understanding all that, is it great ?

I don’t know, because they’re pro-consumer and already stated they had carte blanche for pricing?

I thought you were being sarcastic. Do you really believe in 399?

I think it’ll be 599 and the PS5 probably the same of 549. The PS5 digital 499.

You think the PS5 will be cheaper???

I think Sony will eat the difference in order to be cheaper, because their console is less powerful. They can make that money back in PS Plus subscriptions or selling a few games.

A less powerful console and more expensive? I don’t think so.