Hot Chips 32, XSX Architecture Deep Dive

This is an interesting point. The desktop Zen 2 CPUs have massive L3 cache and it will be interesting to see how much this has been cut by as I am assuming it will not have that much.

1 Like

Iā€™m not expecting any more info regarding ML, this was already covered in Digital Foundryā€™s breakdown of the hardware. ML support is baked into the shaders, with support for INT-4 and INT-8 calculations.

The RDNA 2 architecture used in Series X does not have tensor core equivalents, but Microsoft and AMD have come up with a novel, efficient solution based on the standard shader cores. With over 12 teraflops of FP32 compute, RDNA 2 also allows for double that with FP16 (yes, rapid-packed math is back). However, machine learning workloads often use much lower precision than that, so the RDNA 2 shaders were adapted still further.

ā€œWe knew that many inference algorithms need only 8-bit and 4-bit integer positions for weights and the math operations involving those weights comprise the bulk of the performance overhead for those algorithms,ā€ says Andrew Goossen. ā€œSo we added special hardware support for this specific scenario. The result is that Series X offers 49 TOPS for 8-bit integer operations and 97 TOPS for 4-bit integer operations. Note that the weights are integers, so those are TOPS and not TFLOPs. The net result is that Series X offers unparalleled intelligence for machine learning.ā€

Hope we get more detail on the velocity architecture and sound chip.

This.

One of the biggest mysteries remaining that has an impact on game perf.

We might also hear potential upclock news if it happened. Xbox Oneā€™s GPU upclock was confirmed at Hotchips 2013.

Iā€™m considering paying to watch most of this. Iā€™m really interested in the Quantam Computing section along with the GPU talks so if I decide to pay, Iā€™ll post updates.

2 Likes

Give it up already ā€¦ :mask:

Greenberg says thereā€™s ā€˜still more bullets in the chamberā€™ so Im actually hoping for some neat surprises!

Info is dropping.

mU23LQCtEe9ePVZe3DpU7S-650-80.jpg

qxkCgRwh6Y5oJ5wLDtgA9L-650-80.jpg

u6DpdwnZaBFNAYjjjMijVN-650-80

5 Likes

Iā€™ll wait for digital foundry to break this down for me haha I understand nothing that is posted on the slides haha

1 Like

The Series X die cost compared to One X lends weight to speculation of a $500+ USD range in line (or above) the release MSRP of the One X.

Wow, this all sounds incredible for a 399$ box. Amazing.

1 Like

that cost looks interesting tbh maybe we will finally see the price

GkrDv6ja9TiDYz3incXznN-650-80.jpg

Vfa2kZbhfRtxatptYquv4P-650-80.jpg

np6N8pVh7k8ivrWeNXV64Q-650-80.jpg

1 Like

The audio hardware looks to be on par with the PS5ā€™s tempest engine, which is great news.

4 Likes

Yeah, this is going to be $599. Iā€™m interested to see sales numbers for the new consoles

That is good, because this is going to be my UHD player with my new AVR that supports VRR and HDMI 2.1 for the theater room

Indeed! Audio in games feels underrated or even overlooked [by gamers/consumers]. When I game with my kid and friends, it is non-stop chatter largely unrelated to the game at all. They say this is common even when they play separate single player games. In co op, I often mute them in chat so I can hear the game and get the narrative. Hellblade is a great example of how audio can enhance games and immersion. Iā€™m curious if the controller audio out will provide those benefits or if a dedicated Xbox headset or direct wired set plugged into a receiver will be required.

Have you found and settled on a 2.1 HDMI AVR yet? I know I will, but HDMI 2.1 products are so scarce I havenā€™t filtered through news to start a list yet.

impressive stuff, looks like they really nailed the techs on SX.

The last slide (Mooreā€™s law) is saying that whilst part of Mooreā€™s Law (ie number transistors density doubling every 2-3 years) is holding true, the other part (which most people forget or omit) is that the cost stay about the same. What this shows is that, the later part is not trueā€¦ because of the complexity of 7nm (and even 16FF+) with the number of mask layer needed and the patterning means that the cost has gone up significantly. This also means that cost reducing by moving to a smaller node is becoming more difficult.

Yeah, my old pre-amp happened to die a couple of months ago, so I was one of the first to order the DENON AVR-6700H. Using the X1S as a Dolby Atmos box for movies right now, and man does it blow my older Marantz pre-amp away!! Very, very happy with the purchase in everything from DTS to Atmos

1 Like