Hot Chips 32, XSX Architecture Deep Dive

most was already known, but its great stuff.

well, if they were really pro-consumer, they could gift me one as a present.

Happened with the Xbox One.

Happened with 360 too, 360 had a stronger GPU and memory setup than PS3 and was cheaper.

2 Likes

So does the xsx have I/O Co processors like the PS5? I see in one of the slides there is a DMA block.

I think this was because the blu ray drive and cell were very expensive.

I think the xsx + ps5 will have very similar BoMs, the PS5 ssd and XSX SoC will balance each other out, then again the PS5 controller and cooling system will cost more.

What I like is that MS is very transparent about their chip while Sony still not shared a full overview (or did they)?

Most interesting tidbit in the whole slide deck there was not a single word about RDNA at all. I also like the following slide and the red framed remark on it :slight_smile:

7 Likes

As someone who worked for MS for years, I chuckle every time I hear somebody refer to them as pro-consumer. No corporation is your friend, or I haven’t found one in almost twenty years working with pretty much every large network group out there. The reason the pricing hasn’t been announced yet is because both companies want to sell for as much as they can. PS5 and XSX are going to be the same price. The only wildcards are the other two consoles …

Seriously, maybe Nvidia is going to set the market price with the Ampere reveal. This is some impressive tech

I remember reading somewhere that the Scorpio engine had 76mb of SoC on chip memory? And the X1 had 47mb? I know 32mb were esram but 15mb seems a lot of the x1 when the seriesX only has 13mb of SoC memory?

As a reminder, there are other threads for discussing console price. Let’s keep this one on topic to discuss hardware capabilities from the Hot Chips presentation.

6 Likes

DirectML Resolution Scaling :heart_eyes:

The BEAST!!!

7 Likes

Better :wink:

2 Likes

You can say this for every company. They are there to make money. Nobody should feel married to a plastic box (product).

3 Likes

Next slide is VRS.

1 Like

This won’t be cheap, but that’s what Series S is for.

This is what happens when you don’t get distracted with an entertainment-box agenda and you let your hardware engineers focus on one thing - a sexy black tower that plays games. The audio block alone in this thing frees up so much CPU time compared to One X and earlier Xbox consoles.

Can’t wait to see Microsoft Flight Simulator on this thing.

2 Likes

RT performance sounds surprisingly good on paper. :thinking:

How’s that compared to an RTX card?

Im not sure the info is confusing

The seriesX audio cores are capable of 300 channels, cerny said that if using the same sound algorithms as psvr the tempest is caperble of 5000 audio sources but more sophisticated algorithms will be needed, im guessing seriesX’s 300 sound channels are of the more sophisticated type as both audio solutions have the equivalent audio power of 8 jaguars.

Another thing interesting that ive not seen anyone mention is if the RDNA2 compute unite the tempest engine is made from is one of the 36 cus from the gpu or completely seperate? Are there actually 41 cus in the ps5 where 4 are disabled and 1 is for tempest or is there 40cus where 4 are disabled 1 is for tempest and 35 are for graphics? If its the latter option the PS5 will have even less graphical grunt then we thought.

The whole audio aspect is overblown. Or do you hear 300 different directions or even 5000 sources. All marketing BS. Headphone and HiFi technology is still at 9.1 or something like that?

3 Likes

Yea after all this info it’s clear that this is a legit beastly console. I’ll be happy for 499 myself but I’m bracing for higher tbh.

1 Like

300 channels?

Xbox One Fat SHAPE Audio Block is already capable of 500 sources.

They said: “Greater HW than all 8x CPUs in Xbox One X”

Better than 8x 2.3Ghz Jaguar Cores.

Wasn’t PS5 audio better than all 8C PS4 1.6GHz Jaguar Cores?