Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice - Optimized for Xbox Series X|S

They are likely waiting on ML super res tech to be ubiquitous and easy to implement in the GDK. The path tracing demo was cool but they’d not want to have that at 1080p/30fps on XSX as that would not bode well for an XSS version. Would make a bigger splash if they can use ML SR to get XSS version to 1080p/30fps and XSX version to 4k/30fps.

It isn’t as simple as you suggest it is. It isn’t just brute force GPU grunt, RT also relies on RAM management and bandwidth (extensively). This game is wildly different than Insomniac’s games and with open worlds you have a lot more corners you can cut an get away with visually than you do in Hellblade. Xbox will get RT + 60fps when it gets ML SR tech implemented into the GDK.

I agree in general and it’s always better to give more options if you can, but with Hellblade specifically being such a slow paced game that is meant to be an immersive experience in both visuals and audio, more than 30 FPS doesn’t bring anywhere near the same benefit as it does for other games. Even if they offered the option you’re suggesting, I can confidently say I would choose the higher res 30 FPS option. Maybe I’d flip to 60 FPS for the action sequences, but for how slow paced the combat is, it’s pretty smooth already at 30 FPS.

wouldn’t hold my breath for this tbh

Does anyone else have issues with Quick Resume with this game?

1 Like

Welcome! It worked before the XS patch. So I think the patch may have messed it up.

2 Likes

Thanks.

I guess it will sort itself out soon enough.

NieR:Automata on Steam already received that highly anticipated patch.

1 Like

Isn’t this an.X/S binary more than a patch? That would make ineligible for QR as it’s an entirely different version of the game

Had to play it in enriched mode for me. Glad I did… looks really nice …the 30fps didn’t bother me with this type of game

This game agrees with me a lot more since the Series X upgrade. I don’t know exactly what it was before but I found the combat very difficult and frustrating. It was hard to discern the enemies’ tells and I felt like my timing was always off no matter what I did. Maybe it’s that it feels smoother and more responsive at 60 fps… or maybe I’m just more practiced now. But I’m having a much easier time.

yeah, I’m aware, that’s why I used the past tense hehe.

Just finished the game, great stuff! Now begins the wait for Senua 2.

2 Likes

Me too. Left it year and half ago, now returned. So good, I can’t imagine what they will do with Hellblade II.

2 Likes

Same for me. Normally I can’t play a game in 30FPS anymore… but in Hellblade the pacing is very slow so it doesn’t bother me.

1 Like

Yeah, very similar for me. I put the game down for more than a year, came back and gave it another try because of the update.

I ended up liking it a lot, but in hindsight maybe making the slog of the Valravyn chapter the first thing the player experiences was not a good pacing decision.

1 Like