Halo The Series |OT| Steven Spielberg's Magnum Opus [Spoilers]

Reminds me that I must write another angry mail to Paramount about not having an app on Xbox here.

2 Likes

Wtf is that chief laughing and smiling he doesn’t do that in the games :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::rage::rage::triumph::triumph::triumph:

1 Like

He’s laughing at Mort not having a Paramount app on Xbox in Sveeden

3 Likes

OOF

2 Likes

1 Like

3 Likes

WOW, that was my favourite episode yet!

1 Like

I usually don’t open this thread until after I’ve seen the episode, but I guess I was just opening everything with a green circle this morning… Anyway, you’ve got me very keen to watch the latest episode. Normally I wait until the weekend, but I do have some time early this afternoon. :thinking:

1 Like

They delivered on the action front for me, I’m ok with the build up if we get cool shit like that episode.

4 Likes

Going to have to watch again, but really liked this one.

This show certainly has a hefty damned budget!

• First the one bad - Shocker, it’s Kwan. Her and unfortunately Soren’s story have gone from annoying to downright intrusive. I like Soren’s actor and the character. He’s just been dragged in to a narrative that went from being uninteresting to not even moving this episode. Yet still managed to take about ten minutes away from the main narrative

• I am very in to the Halsey, Miranda, Capt Keys dynamic. I’m far more on Miranda’s side than her parents, but very intrigued on where this is going

• The Chief, Cortana back and forths have been awesome. With Cortana clapping back on Chief very cleverly. John is still in charge… unless he attempts to Super Chief Punch mama Halsey in half.

• About 85% of the way through the episode I had been enjoying, but was a little disapointed we still hadn’t got to our next big action sequence of the season. More so, I was cringing at how other people would react to the lack of action we’ve gotten 5 episodes in, then…

• …“Slipspace rupture detected”. HOLY FUCK, we got a ton. The action was nuts, the CG was amazing. And the first time appearances and call backs to the games were relentless. Jackels, Skirmishers, Grunts…a fucking Brute! And it looked awesome. Chief saying “I need a weapon”. Chief jacking a Banshee. Cortana giving perfect in combat info. A marine got exploded by a needler, spartans sprinted to catch up to Chiefs Warthog (ha, fuck you purists). The Covenant ships looked so damn perfect. Kai’s first person hud scene was so cool. Some of the visceral gore of the torn up covenant soldiers was disgusting, but so impressively done…When this show needs to bring it, it can absolutely friggin bring it

Best episode yet, easily. Bring on all the rest!!!

7 Likes

The best part was the grunt driving the warthog

2 Likes

Good news, the guy who directed episode 5, also directed episodes 6, 8 and 9

So good chance there’s plenty of action coming in those as well

5 Likes

Getting deleted by a needler

1 Like

Like someone shook up some Mentos in a bottler of Pepto Bismal

Episode 5 was AMAZING!!! Hope they can keep it up in the next ones

Okay, okay… HiddenXperia is just out of control level full of shit today

I mean, I love Chief’s helmet. I like it better when he’s wearing it, especially for the action scenes. It looks so cool and bad ass when he has it on during those scenes. And I know many, Xperia included don’t ever even want to see him without it, or at least a lot less often…but he’s over here trying to convince the show makers that the helmet can show so much emotion and has done so in the games

No it has…NOT

What’s doing that is what’s happening on-screen and the emotional music and voice acting you’re hearing, manipulating you to feel the emotions they want the scene to convey. That cool as hell looking helmet and visor aren’t doing anything to convey emotion

I would be more foregiving if I thought he was just tricking himself with nostalgia that he’s misidentifying the source of, but I’ve seen and heard too much from this guy to grant him that benefit of the doubt. He know’s what he’s doing. And he’s full of it here, even more than normal

4 Likes

I liked how, after Master Chief got hit by the Brute, the doot-doot-doot sound effect of the shield being out of juice was just playing, with no other indication as to what was going on. Non-gamers who paid real good attention to episode 1 might still get it, but mostly I think it’s fan service. And I love it.

Also, I’m surprised no one’s mentioned “I know how to play the game.” :slight_smile: That had me chuckling. Although I can see how some of the Halo kids would call it “cringe.” :roll_eyes:

And I agree with you about Kwan. A very obnoxious character. I’m assuming she’ll be around for the remainder of the season, but I’m crossing my fingers that the negative fan reaction to her will mean we’ll see a lot less of her in season 2. Or at the very least that they’ll retool the character a bit, making her more likeable.

Speaking of likeable, I kind of wish they hadn’t cast such a charismatic and charming actress as Dr. Halsey. Because she’s clearly not a good person, but I find it hard to dislike her just because I like Natascha McElhone.

At any rate, I agree with everyone else. Great episode. Good balance between plot and action.

Great episode, the part I enjoyed the least was definitely Chief’s temper tantrum, but it is a necessary to get him to focus up and understand that he has known the other Spartans and they have been his family longer than the parents he barely remembers. The action and the CGI where great, it was awesome seeing the Spartans running ahead of the Warthog and even running to catch up to it, the Jackals using energy swords, the Elites using the energy shields, the Grunts too and that Brute at the end using the hammers gravity field to pull the artifact to him. Another part I didn’t enjoy was the plan to just drop Makee right there after a battle and everyone is just supposed to be ok let’s help her.

The way Kwan’s character is being done to be annoying and how her decisions are blowing up in her face causing the death of everyone she knew, is reminding me a lot of Ahsoka during season 1 of The Clone Wars. Because she was purposely written to be annoying and get on people’s nerves, so that when she finally learns defeat it was used as character growth moment and Ahsoka into a character that everyone loved. Because Halo’s season is shorter, I think/hope that they are hitting Kwan hard and quick now with her bad decisions and the reality that no one is on her side, to force her to change and grow as a character. I hope it comes soon as well because she’s just pushing blame on everyone else and refusing to see her father for anything other than some great deserving guy, no matter what she’s told.

3 Likes

Legitimately amazing episode after a pretty mediocre Ep.4

Seriously, there were so many “Jesus… what a time to be alive” moments for me. I was giddy.

Like, holy shit, they fucking did it. They nailed it.