Halo |OT2| Forging Ahead

Nice he says he will be at Gamescom pitching a new game behind closed doors.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/Mr_Rebs_/status/1687557050404945920?s=20

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/halo/status/1687600455831171075?s=46&t=O_AGT9SEnlptKOF_2SxtqQ

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/mr_rebs_/status/1688202704403787776?s=46&t=O_AGT9SEnlptKOF_2SxtqQ

Whilst some of the Forge maps definitely look/feel like (very good) Forge maps (both Exile and Waterworks feel forgey to me), the quality of the very tip-top of Forge maps (thinking of things like Starboard and Sikamikanico’s city map) is now so close to dev maps that it’s a massive boon for 343. So easy to get loads of content into the game, and then they can drop their own maps every new Season. Bargain.

2 Likes

Newer dev maps (Oasis, The Forest) look so much better than any Forge maps… Regardless, Forge maps look good enough to the point where the variety they bring in is far more important than a hit in visual quality.

Would be cool if 343i could announce Firefight/Forge AI at Gamescom, Microsoft ignored Halo at E3, so maybe now would be the moment?

Have they added any user-made Forge maps designed for Infection yet? Last I checked that playlist they have not, but hopefully they will. Halo 5 Infection was leagues ahead of prior Halo Infection playlists solely because that mode benefits enormously from finely tuned map designs.

Although I haven’t played Waterworks yet (which I have to say is sort of bizarre because I played a ton of squad battle), I agree about Exile. In clips, Waterworks does look lackluster.

I know I won’t care when I play it because, like in Exile, I’m just having too much fun.

But the great thing is that we can have our cake and eat it too because all it takes are updates to each Forge map to pretty them up and voila you’ve got a great looking map in the playlist that is essentially the exact same map.

I suspect the reason why they don’t look as great is because they are larger maps and Forge may need some assets that scale well to that size.

One great thing about Forge is that you can take a rock and scale it down to a pebble and it looks great, and then scale it up to a boulder and it looks great too. You can scale it up to be the size of a house and it still looks good but showing its limits. But once you get beyond that it’s not looking too hot. These larger maps rely on these pieces scaled up to the size of a cliffside and that is partly responsible for the look.

So I’m sure in the future they will add a few more pieces to address shortcomings. Much like how they added some effects and water. And then all they need to do is update the map. Apparently they’re adding reactive water, something I expect to see in the Valhalla remake.

So they just update the map in the playlist and bada bing bada boom we got the best looking version of the map right there.

But yes your observation is sound. And it’s interesting to note that it’s the larger scale maps.

Which may also explain why we haven’t seen many community maps in BTB.

1 Like

Absolutely despise salvation as a map. It just annoyed me every time I have to play this map

Edit: Also wanted to say One Flag sucks as well

One Flag is great! Heretic!

1 Like

Is salvation the map that has the super red colour scheme? If so, I’m not a fan either

Getting up the upper levels of the map is torture without grapple and there’s only one on the map, it just doesn’t feel well designed at all

and yes, one flag is utter trash, at least with randoms

Ya, I think we are talking about the same map.

Its soo maze like with ups and downs for no reason. Visibility is low and in One flag, the flag is in such a stupid spot

I’m not a fan of the map and have never been for 20 years. But it’s been growing on me for tactical slayer. The asymmetrical nature of the map also means an asymmetric balance of power when you control certain areas in that map and it is kind of fun beating the odds and then taking those areas to have your team dominate and try to hold on to them. Namely the high ground which is fairly OP.

So I’m still ok with it being in some playlists.

But I can think of 10 other Halo 1 maps that I wish was remastered and put in playlists over this one.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/halo/status/1689328491052027905?s=46&t=O_AGT9SEnlptKOF_2SxtqQ

2 Likes

Hey everyone! Myself and @SIR_IRON_WOLF are going to be live later today with another episode of the Halo Podcast, this time talking about the general feeling/discourse around Halo Infinite somehow being… positive?

If anyone has any questions you’d like us to answer, feel free to post them as a reply here, on the discord, twitter, etc.

Feels more and more like Infinite has a resurgence of sorts brewing…

4 Likes

Wow, the comments to the tweet are overwhelmingly positive. You’d almost think it’s not the Halo community anymore :rofl:

3 Likes

Dredge seems alright. Only very loosely like Countdown, which is good as that map was never great imo. Fairly subdued/simple aesthetic, but a good layout

Lately, the feedback has been a lot positive than ever. MCC comeback I see.

https://twitter.com/hazzadorgamin/status/1689579424298217472?s=46&t=O_AGT9SEnlptKOF_2SxtqQ

4 Likes

This is a firefight variant right?

As for the positivity talk, I’ve definitely noticed a lot more positivity since Season 4 started, all the maps they’ve been pumping out and the BTB Halo 3 playlist helped a lot

Tbh that’s what’s probably Infinite’s biggest hurdle, it’s not that the game is bad, it never has been, it’s about changing the narrative around the game, if people actually played the game they’d realise it’s good but when you get endless raging and bitching online about a game it’s going to turn people away because they will believe it’s true

1 Like