Halo |OT2| Forging Ahead

Next Halo game when:

• Beyond 2028

0 voters

Are there any Id Tech games that do what Halo does? Would it need to be reworked somehow so we don’t get a “Halo” game that plays nothing like Halo?

Pretty much what I wary of with a switch to Unreal Engine.

I’m not too sure but nearly all of Microsoft’s games going forward are using unreal. Epic is getting a nice check. Also I’m pretty sure they tried unreal for infinite and said it didn’t feel right.

They haven’t tried idtech as far as I know.

so they are just goingto do multiplayer? what about single player? Thats why people love halo

people love halo because the single player AND multiplayer.

and this article is basically the summation of every rumor that’s been swirling around and tweets from ex-343 employees lol.

Well on the bright side , if this Unreal thing is true they have The Coalition on hand to assist them. Only Epic themselves know that engine better.

Why has no other Xbox studio with their own engine (like Turn 10) a problem with this 18 month contractor stuff?

It’s an incredible waste of a damn good IP with a rich universe to build games from.

I really struggle to understand how this is possible. Are there no oversight over the studios?

1 Like

if they really are just gonna do multiplayer for the rest of the gen which sucks i say actually make a proper single player and launch it with the next xbox in good condition on unreal. i hope xbox aquires certain affinity after abk is done so someone else doesnt scoop them up and they are back to sqaure one

1 Like

I know they said Halo is staying with 343i etc. etc. but that leaves us with singleplayer content sometime around 2030 with the way things look. Incredibly disappointing.

2 Likes

Focus on Multiplayer for Halo makes zero sense. The single-player was super well received and was actually a big success. Halo is single-player first and foremost.

No wonder that Staten left the studio. What a colossal waste.

4 Likes

It was received well but big success?

I’m not so sure on that, if it was then this stuff probably wouldn’t be happening, I don’t think it sold or was bringing in the people to GP like people might think it was

They are focusing on the multiplayer likely because with some overhauls they can probably make good money with MTX, while making money on future campaign stuff would probably take more resources, more work and make less money

1 Like

The MP also does zero, nada for Game Pass which makes it even weirder.

Disagree if you are talking about Infinite, i played it back in 2021 and it was just fine, and i played with a friend few days ago on cooperative and yea, fine but meh.

Gameplay’s good we all know that, but the campaign itself, bleh, the first part was nice but once you get to the open world and most of it is around clearing camps which all are similar to each other… underwhelming, not to talk about the biomes thing, but yea.

If that’s what they can do for the single player part, i’d rather them try a battle royale or something that can attract a lot of players.

I’d leave the campaign mode to some third party studio, but whatever they do, we won’t see it until 2028 at best i guess so.

Sorry if the thread jumps around time-wise, doesn’t seem like the forum keeps posts in chronological order when organizing discussions from multiple locations into a singular place.

People might not agree with me here but the next single player Halo should be a hard reboot.

I wonder how this will impact some of the customized aspects we’re used to getting with Halo, namely Theatre Mode and Forge. Maybe it won’t matter at all for Campaigns?

Think of it as 343 focusing on being able to recruit better and wider talent. Unreal is pervasive across the industry. You have the Coalition, who are experts in their own right. It could lead to Halo becoming a graphical powerhouse again.

We shall see!

1 Like

Agree with all those points. From a technical geek perspective, it’s a bit of a shame that we may be losing a variation option for game engines. Hopefully they manage to build on the customization pieces to keep Halo unique from the cookie-cutter UE releases.

As for the last part, now everyone will ask “WHEN?”. When will we see?