Halo |OT2| Forging Ahead

Why would scripting take up much memory? Code is small.

1 Like

Scripting can result in a lot of memory being used. For example if we had a script where we spawn an indefinite number of Warthogs tied to some number like our health. Weā€™ll have to see how is all handled.

Ultimately there probably will be clear signs that weā€™re going too far and proper optimizations could be made.

I wonder if Forge will have a way for creators to earn money.

I believe they are using Lua, which is a whole interpreter and runtime thatā€™s running. Itā€™s still relatively small but takes up RAM nonetheless. And as pointed out above, you can easily run stuff that creates a lot of RAM eating like object spawning, arrays, etc. I believe most games that have a scripting thing of some sort account for the RAM usage of what your script spawns.

Thereā€™s also another limit when networking the scripts is involved, as you donā€™t want to end up having to shove a 200MB stack down from the dedi to all the clientsā€¦ : p

Probably not. I donā€™t think Microsoft wants to get into it. Epic basically does it by sending some of their cut to people so technically theyā€™re doing it out-of-band on every non-EGS platform. I mean, if MS is not gonna pay a group of people from the community to update their matchmaking before Infinite, donā€™t think theyā€™re gonna implement Creator Codes for forge maps in general.

The only actual semi-successful creator-payment Iā€™ve seen on Xbox live was Rock Band Network where people could license and release songs for Rock Band 2 and 3, and used the entire XNA backend. That evolved into the general indie store on Microsoft Store on Xbox One and Windows but now those two systems are entirely separate.

edit: aaaaaaa i think i fixed my posts now

They have creator economy in Minecraft and Flight Sim though.

2 Likes

I have to agree with @DARK-PARADISE - Minecraft pioneered the creator economy, Flight Simulator doubled down on it, and you can bet your bottom dollar Starfield will have a creator economy. Itā€™s certainly a better way for Microsoft to earn money by charging royalties, while also encouraging creator and player engagement. Microtransactions may make more money, but creator economies are more player friendly.

2 Likes

Yep, but hopefully itā€™s much better managed than Skyrim and Fallout 4.

Well, Skyrim and Fallout 4 are pre-Microsoft acquisition. :slight_smile:

Donā€™t they do that with Minecraft ? Maybe Iā€™m confused with another game.

edit Donā€™t mind my post, just seen other people bring up the same point.

Having not played many games with creator economies, how do they typically handle content between people who have paid for it? Would it not effectively bring back ā€˜map packsā€™

I was thinking about this a few months ago when the potential of Forge became apparent.

Since, in my head, I was comparing Forge to Roblox in terms of capability and potential offered to gamers I was first thinking about how Roblox monetizes. Theyā€™re at a $22 billion market cap so I can see anyone wanting to recreate that success, including MS.

But I donā€™t see it happening in that form. RB is pretty predatory and adult gamers (in contrast to children) wonā€™t put up with that. RB development is also akin to traditional gamedev where everything is created in your own closed bubble whereas Infinite (like Unity or Unreal Engine) allows you to use prefabs (whether scripts or objects) made by others, things that arenā€™t sold in Infinite. I donā€™t see 343 allowing people to sell maps, modes, and scripts. For good reason. It would hinder the creative collaboration and improvement/evolution Forge allows for.

It would be unfair for you to make a map and for me to grab it and change a few things and then sell it. Or if I recreated all Counter-Strike weapons, someone else recreates CS modes and gun purchase system, and someone else remakes CS maps, with another person packaging it all up and selling it.

Because of that last point I donā€™t see Flight Sim-esque opportunities to sell, either.

What makes most sense to me is the Fortnite Creator-Code route where any money spent in the store gives a fraction to the creator. That might take a while to implement but itā€™s the most realistic and fair way to do it from my perspective.

Because of the highly collaborative nature of the most extravagant modes, it still may not be the most fair but it would be a start.

Personally I think what is most fair is if MS doesnā€™t go this route and highly motivated level makers, ā€œmoddersā€, and so on have their own Patreons/Ko-Fi (latter probably better for this). This way groups can be represented and compensated. But if this content starts to slow down I can see MS using Creator Codes to help motivate people.

1 Like

While that is a good call, it is still really stupid that they conflate ā€˜lots of ppl playingā€™ with ā€˜lots of ppl enjoying a modeā€™. Those are very different things.

2 Likes

At the very least, they should look at Challenge Swap usage, to see what challenges people immediately ā€œNOPEā€ out of. For me its any of the score total 7500 or higher and anything specific weapon in PVP, as the reward for those donā€™t match the added time needed as others.

3 Likes

So it sounded to me, and I could have misinterpreted, that they were maybe looking in season 3 at rewarding more xp based on outcomes of a match or game play and maybe less on challenges like they had been doing? Iā€™d personally taken that as kind of a, grant 25 xp for each medal you get in a game, maybe 50 for a rare medal or something, so people getting perfects and a ton of other things walk out with a few hundred xp. But I guess they really havenā€™t been specific about what theyā€™re planning there. Also was hoping that meant I could play campaign and get rewards too, not just multiplayer.

Iā€™ve only swapped one challenge, but if I donā€™t like them I donā€™t bother trying for the weekly item.

1 Like

2 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly what theyā€™re doing with the upcoming XP beta this November.

3 Likes

OK didnā€™t remember the specifics. Thanks

1 Like
2 Likes
7 Likes