Halo |OT| Master Chief's Breath of the Wild Moment (Part 1)

Dropping One S for Halo now makes no sense. Insisting on this will only left you disappointed in the end :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

medicore Ed wrong again <3 (speculations I know) @Shpeshal_Nick

Jesus how many times will this rumor pop up smh

1 Like

the fact they changed the job posting shows Xbox is watching the news cycle closely ^^

2 Likes

Pulling the plug on 50M console owners years down the line doesn’t seem a smart move to me. A lot of people don’t seem to understand that the game was delayed to improve it not to rebuild it entirely. The game was built and designed to play on the Xbox one. It may need to be heavily cut down. I don’t see anyone playing destiny complaining though. People need to realise that games like Halo aren’t about pushing the limits but about sustaining a community. Halo will live and die by its content and ability to hook in a large playerbase not by being a tech demo.

Canceling the Xbox One version of Halo: Infinite isn’t going to magically make the game better or anything. I personally don’t think that there’s that much point in dropping the One version. There are a lot of players who won’t get the Series S|X straight away and I don’t think they should be ditched just yet. I’m thinking 343 drops support for the One though after a couple of years, which I think is fair, since many will probably upgrade to the Series S|X by then.

Cyberpunk 2077 failed because the team treated the Xbox One and PS4 versions as an afterthought. In addition, Cyberpunk is a much more complex game compared to Halo Infinite. There’s also the possibility that 343 is focusing on the Series and PC versions, while outsourcing the One version to another developer.

Also I don’t see this level of concern regarding Horizon: Forbidden West being on PS4 as well as PS5. Miles Morales was on PS4 but still looks great on PS5 with ray-tracing. Forza Horizon 2 was on Xbox 360 as well as Xbox One, yet it still looked really good on Xbox One. Just because a game is cross-gen doesn’t mean it will be a disaster, there are plenty of examples that go against that.

4 Likes

If they manage to have both Xbox one and next-gen versions running great, i will applaud that. I’m nervous but kind of intrigued by what they can pull off from last gen.

But it isn’t 50 million users. After u account for people who bought multiple consoles it’s closer to 40. And 50-80% of all series owners are upgrading. So if there’s 15 million series owners by the time this game launches than theres only about 30 million Xbox one owners who don’t own a series console.

The only way I’ll be happy with halo infinite coming to Xbox one is if it’s made by a different team(preferably a different studio doing the port). Also it needs to be separated from the other versions. Make xbox one users play by themselves.

This is why I said long term the better move is to ditch Xbox One. Even from a business perspective.

Imagine a “platform” game coming out in 2021 tied down to consoles with tech from 2011 or so.

3 Likes

Destiny gave them a year and dropped it. No reason xbox can’t do the same so the rest is fear mongering.

I assume a year will go after they ditch the one. The first dlc or whatever they plan to do with halo will ditch the one I think. two years are more then enough to switch. Otherwise xcloud is there.

Of course they’re going to “confirm” it’s coming to Xbox One

If they’re ditching it, it won’t be now. They’ll keep trying to get the Xbox One version in an acceptable state. If they can’t by around March, I reckon they’ll ditch it

2 Likes

Yea I remember them saying that the engine is scalable

Plus remember for online MP the dedis are already doing a lot of heavy lifting, the xbox one already couldn’t run the server software for Halo 5. It was a massive jump just being able to remove the server code from the client (from the h2-4 days). I’m not worried about MP fidelity, the bigger limitation these days is actually the bandwidth available. Of course the One may have lower animation LOD, etc.

PC SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Minimum Spec:

• Intel Core i5 (Haswell) at 2.2 GHz or AMD Ryzen 3 at 3.1 GHz
  • 4GB RAM
  • DX11 or higher
  • Suitable for up to 8 players

Recommended Spec:

• Intel Core i7 (Skylake) at 3.3 GHz or AMD Ryzen 5 at 3.2 GHz
  • 8GB RAM
  • DX11 or higher
  • Suitable for up to 16 players

Assumption at this point is LANning Halo Infinite will also require a local PC to run the server even with Xboxes. Regardless of being a lan of Series or Ones.

To clarify, my point is that the game is using physics and AI designed for ancient processors. Whether they drop X1 support 1-3, the game was still designed for it.

The game wouldn’t reinvent its entire physics system, or AI, midway through its lifespan.

(Technically speaking, Fortnite has changed how its physics are implemented, but they made sure that it felt exactly the same and performance is the same, whereas when we jumped from Halo 3’s physics to the ultra-simplified physics in Halo 4, it was completely noticeable to the detriment of the game).

That’s why I listed those cons. The new processor is 4 to 6 times faster, and it can’t be leveraged for advanced physics or AI…and is expected to satiate gamers long-term.

At the same time I’m not forgetting that there are few games that last 10 years, and I don’t think that number came from 343 themselves. But I truly believe if you want a long lasting Live Service platform you would do what Turn 10 is doing and create something that exclusively uses the latest technology.

My larger point is at the end of the day this is a business decision. I see pros and cons for both possibilities.

Neither decision will turn me of from the game. I still play Halo 3, completely satisfied with its AI and physics. If Infinite has physics on par with it I’ll be happy. I’d like something that builds on that but beggars can’t be choosers.

1 Like

See my thing is the game is on PC so there was always going to be a limit, most PC’s are a lot weaker than Series X. I think people are only talking about ditching the XB1 because of the July showcase, if they showed amazing graphics no one would be even talking about dropping the XB1. The July showcase wasn’t like that because of support for XB1 that’s the thing, people are connecting the two when it’s not suppose to be.

With games coming to PC there is always going to be weaker systems than Series X which is supported, there’s no way around that. Look at Gears 5 Hivebusters that looks amazing on Series X yet it’s on XB1 and PC. Look at Cyberpunk looks amazing on PC yet runs like shit and looks awful on XB1.

I don’t think XB1 will last that much longer anyway Halo Infinite and maybe Forza Horizon if its out next year will be the last 2 games. So the new console base would be Series S, while most PC’s again would be on par or weaker than even that.

I feel like people are way to quick to judge the situation, we haven’t even seen a proper crossgen game from MS yet, but it’s not stopping people from complaining about it I guess haha. I’ve noticed this a lot, people are quick to make their mind up and not budge, but that’s MS’s job to change the mind of those people. (not directed at anyone)

All I say is just wait till the games are out, I’m willing to bet once it comes out no one will be talking about how much Series X is held back by XB1.

3 Likes

And to be clear I don’t mind either way and I see the merits of both possibilities because I see good reasons for going in either direction. And I do realize that graphics can scale well between platforms. I just wanted next gen physics and AI.

I also want to state explicitly that I’m actually pigeonholing myself in how I view Live Services. Pretty soon Fortnite is going to move to Unreal Engine 5. It’ll probably kick start off a new Chapter, with a new map that leverages UE5. Who’s to say we won’t see that with Infinite? A newer visual engine could mean a new Halo ring, etc. They could reinvent the gameplay to take advantage of new hardware. After 3 years, people want something to feel new anyways.

I have faith in 343, and I think their guiding principles and the leadership of Staten will lead to a solid playing game.