Halo Infinite - Campaign Hands-on Previews

So loads of positive previews especially from people who have hated Halo since 3. And then Eurogamer just shit on it. And seemingly Digital Foundry are sharpening their knives too.

I don’t believe in any of the bias or conspiracy nonsense but reading these previews it’s hard not to think EG are trying to push an agenda for some reason. Did 343 do something to upset them?

1 Like

I read that too but I didn’t fully understand his complaints…was the mission variety weak or the open world nature of the game that he seems that doesn’t like in general? I guess we will see in a few weeks ourselves.

Having said that it will be funny and interesting to see how much the press will bitch about the “open world” tropes when they don’t have a problem with them in games like Ghost of Tsushima or Horizon Zero Dawn. Horizon 2 comes in a few months as well, let’s see if they will be as critical about the open world mission design in that game too.

Also the way he talks about the game and it’s similarities with games like Far Cry I expected a ton of icons on the map, seeing the GB video I didn’t see that in any way after unlocking the “tower”. This is not a negative for me just because there are icons in the map, it all depends on the variety of the outposts and how handcrafted these combat enounters are IMO.

3 Likes

Digital foundrys issues are more on the technical/graphical side, theres no grand conspiracy with eurogamer and them.

3 Likes

Wow looks like they did it. Good for 343 and Xbox. I’m excited for next month

And there are technical issues and they need to be called out, so 343 can hopefully fix them and we get a better presentation.

1 Like

Eh there are always people that will like a game less than others. The reactions have been very positive so far which is quite encouraging. It does seem Alex from DF is quite salty about the game though lol.

1 Like

I get that and I agree, a better presentation is always welcome but at the same time I am tired of seeing so many people talking about graphics these days. DF sadly made all of us kind of armchair developers and I’d argue that little knowledge is worse than ignorance, it looks like there is too much emphasis on tech on core gamer circles nowadays and less on gameplay and actually having fun playing a videogame. We have come to a point where we are almost losing the essence of what videogames are about and we give a lot of attention to things of little note.

In other words I would prefer 343 to spend the remaining 3 weeks to improve/polish the enemy AI or perfecting an enemy encounter/set-piece than see them trying to improve the indirect lighting or whatever but that’s just me. :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

But these issues in particular I would argue are bringing the delivery of the story down a touch, because the low frames of animation are a distraction and pull me out a bit of the performance of the cutscenes.

1 Like
6 Likes

A worse mission/encounter or a glitched AI will pull me out more but that’s just my opinion.

It depends on how old the build is, but I wouldn’t expect many visual tweaks in the coming weeks.

Well said.

The recent gatekeeping for FH5 in voting is emblematic of a cluster of such issues too. But that is another story. Still seeing some idiots on twitter insist on a hard story in FH5 over gameplay.

2 Likes

I played the El Camino missions in FH5 and they were such a vibe, Playground are making a good effort to give the game little interesting stories, hope they continue adding to that in the upcoming expansions/sequels.

5 Likes
10 Likes

woaaaah HiddenXperia kinda wildin out rn I see lol. Glad to see him this hyped for it.

9 Likes

I should have suspected something when Rand, Colt and others were suspiciously quiet during MP first week. Quieter.

4 Likes

our very own Xboxera staff was too, lol I HATE THAT THEY SOLD OUT :triumph:

/s

3 Likes

I cannot trust the guy - Jon -anymore. He is the founder of xboxera, I think. /s

He confessed to one secret while withholding one more.

LOL

3 Likes

this is so anticlimactic and funny lol, but regardless they made great strides within limitations. Now we gotta see where the game has truly gone.

3 Likes

Jon - next month: " I’ve played Fable too." lol

8 Likes