GOTY 2021 |UT| Xbox Game Studios Discussion

Dude discovering, finding out how to get to and completing Eventide Island alone is a leagues better, more well designed, more clever and more interesting experience than all the hundreds hours of the entire AC series.

1 Like

I had a buddy who recently felt the same way as many of the detractors. And then he watched his very young daughter play it and she was just exploring, rather than being objective-based like he was trying to do. And that’s where it clicked with him, “Ohhhh… that’s how this is meant to be played…”

I usually can’t stand the “You played it wrong” line, but in BotW’s case, a lot of people are. Maybe the greatest game ever, and I’m pre-disposed to not like open worlds or Zelda.

2 Likes

Yeah, just like Skyrim, BOTW is not object based game. It is more like traveling across the world.

Unlike Ubisoft games where you literally has no reason to travel as nothing happens without MC anyway. So you basically go to scripted events with all those labels and that’s it. Ubisoft bastardized open world genre.

4 Likes

@BlackheartVinyl did u like witcher 3 ?

Didn’t play it. Never appealed to me.

how about RDR 2 ?

Hated it. Dropped it early. Clunky controls and way too slow. Plus, very limiting mission design for a game that’s supposed to let you do what you want.

You just played it wrong .

got GIF

1 Like

Cool.

I tried :phil_lmao:

1 Like

Having now played 15+ hours of Forza Horizon 5, it is without a doubt the GOTY. It blows anything and everything else out of the water that came out this year. I played Returnal and Ratchet and Deaths Door and Psychonauts 2 and It Take Two, none are even in the same stratosphere.

6 Likes

Not for me. For me, it’s a waste of my time. I believe that EVERY open world game should have a “?” symbol on the world map for everything and you discover what it is when you get in that area BUT also include an on/off option for those who want to find everything themselves. I don’t mind “?” symbols because I know something is there as opposed to me wandering around a massive open world and being like, “there’s nothing fucking here”. This drives me nuts because I could actually be doing a side quest, an outpost, etc. but instead, im doing nothing but wasting my time.

Amazingly, I completely agree with you and that’s how BOTW should be played. But my thing is that when I play games, I want to play them my way and if I can’t, I simply drop/trade in the game like I did BOTW or just play through the main story campaign like I did with Valhalla since I bought it digitally and couldn’t refund it.

I understand this but disagree because here’s the thing, I still end up exploring the entire world map via story missions, side quests, outposts, random encounters and just me exploring.

Holy shit!!! While I didn’t hate RDR 2, I agree with the rest. Dropped it after Chapter 1. I know you have me on ignore/blocked/whatever but im actually agreeing with you twice in the same topic on the same day. The world is coming to a fucking end!!! lmao

But that’s the thing. It is actually not exploring. But linear gameplay on a big map. Replace it with a set of corridors and nothing will change (aside easier to get from one point to another).

1 Like

I get that but a lot of times, I won’t follow the waypoint and go in other directions. Like, even now in Division 2, I still end up going down alleyways, sewers, etc. despite not having to go that way. But it’s great knowing where to go when I want to get back to the original waypoint/marker that I set hours earlier.

You’re in luck if Forza Horizon 5 is even nominated for the main award. What I don’t really believe in

I agreed with this a week ago, but man, this game is having way more of a moment than I ever expected. People who have never played a Forza game, people who generally don’t even like Xbox, it’s gotten everyone on board. I think it has a real shot at a nomination now.

1 Like

I’m very confident now that FH5 is getting nominated for GOTY.

1 Like

My personal GOTY remains Little Nightmares 2. What a wonderful game that is.

But i imagine the following will get nominated:

• Returnal
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • Hitman 3
  • Psychonauts 2
  • Deathloop
  • Forza Horizon 5

…Maybe Demon Souls.

…and i think Deathloop will win it. I’d love to see FH5 to show that such cgames can win. It’s never going to get a better chance. It is such a highly rated game in a year with few other absolute/unequivocal masterpieces.

If not this year, never.

that was already part of the awards last year.

1 Like

Forza Horizon 5 deserves to be nominated. But, I don’t understand why exactly this time it will happen. Perhaps due to the lack of competition from other games.

Yet again. Why was Forza Horizon 4 not nominated in 2018, while it was nominated for Assassin’s Creed Odessy. Or was nominated for Spider-man (This is probably because of the character’s fame and the first good game about him in many years. Although, such excuses for themselves)