GOTY 2021 |UT| Xbox Game Studios Discussion

I get that but a lot of times, I won’t follow the waypoint and go in other directions. Like, even now in Division 2, I still end up going down alleyways, sewers, etc. despite not having to go that way. But it’s great knowing where to go when I want to get back to the original waypoint/marker that I set hours earlier.

You’re in luck if Forza Horizon 5 is even nominated for the main award. What I don’t really believe in

I agreed with this a week ago, but man, this game is having way more of a moment than I ever expected. People who have never played a Forza game, people who generally don’t even like Xbox, it’s gotten everyone on board. I think it has a real shot at a nomination now.

1 Like

I’m very confident now that FH5 is getting nominated for GOTY.

1 Like

My personal GOTY remains Little Nightmares 2. What a wonderful game that is.

But i imagine the following will get nominated:

• Returnal
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • Hitman 3
  • Psychonauts 2
  • Deathloop
  • Forza Horizon 5

…Maybe Demon Souls.

…and i think Deathloop will win it. I’d love to see FH5 to show that such cgames can win. It’s never going to get a better chance. It is such a highly rated game in a year with few other absolute/unequivocal masterpieces.

If not this year, never.

that was already part of the awards last year.

1 Like

Forza Horizon 5 deserves to be nominated. But, I don’t understand why exactly this time it will happen. Perhaps due to the lack of competition from other games.

Yet again. Why was Forza Horizon 4 not nominated in 2018, while it was nominated for Assassin’s Creed Odessy. Or was nominated for Spider-man (This is probably because of the character’s fame and the first good game about him in many years. Although, such excuses for themselves)

Ah OK. The timing cut offs for these awards are bonkers, frankly. No wonder I’m confused.

2 Likes

Spider-Man was deserving.

Assassin’s Creed… not so much.

Unpopular opinion I think, but It Takes Two doesn’t deserve a GOTY nomination. Maybe for a category like multiplayer (not sure what the competition is other than Forza and Battlefield, assuming Halo isn’t in).

It drags quite a lot and the dialogue / story gets incredibly repetitive. The gameplay is really fun and the game runs really well, but I don’t think it’s GOTY material imo.

I already posted this over in the Halo GOTY thread, but I thought this is more appropriate and would be seen by people interested in general GOTY discussion rather than just Halo.

Anyway, per the Game of the Year tracker, Xbox Game Studios is having a hell of a year. These are their current totals:

• Deathlooop: 19
  • Forza: 18
  • Halo: 16 (including multiplayer)
  • Psychonauts: 7
  • Age of Empires: 1

That puts Deathloop 3rd overall (behind It Takes Two and Resident Evil) but Forza appears to have a lot of momentum, so it’ll be interesting to see if it can overtake and land in the 3rd spot. And don’t count out Halo just yet either.

4 Likes

Halo has actually 17 (IGN Instagram)

The finals for the TrueAchievements GOTY 2021 is at hand with Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite as the final entries.

a racing game being in top 5 is wild. Great to see.

why is 2021 outlet pool so small though? 2020 had TLOU2 getting 317 awards (2016 outlets + remaining reader’s choice), yet the highest this year is It Takes Two with 38

Will more outlets keep adding over the coming year too?

Geez, the entire comment section is filled with people whining.

1 Like

This is my first year following it this way, I didn’t know that site existed a year ago, so I don’t really know how it works. There’s probably a fair few outlets that don’t announce until January, but it feels like 279 outlets is a huge discrepancy.

edit: I just had a look at the Archive.org snapshot from December 28th of last year (there wasn’t one for the 31st) and TLOU2 had 99 votes at that time, with the runners-up at 27 and 18, for a top 3 total of 144 votes. For this year that same number is 95.

Still a somewhat big discrepancy, but it does suggest there’s A LOT more outlets coming, so this is by no means a done deal just yet.

That’s my least favourite aspect of this hobby. I feel like it has a disproportionate amount of negativity compared to other communities I engage with online. I don’t really know why, but it’s abrasive and quite unfortunate.

I wish people would just relax, be positive and enjoy what they like and simply ignore what they don’t. Instead many for some reason choose to be negative. Must be tiring. I know I find it tiring reading it, which is why I try to take my own advice and ignore it.

5 Likes

Yeah. The voting rounds involving either FH5 or HI had absolutely horrible comments. Total manchilds who don’t deserve to be able to game.

1 Like

The totals have jumped a bit now that it’s the new year:

• Forza: 28
  • Deathlooop: 27
  • Halo: 24 (including multiplayer)
  • Psychonauts: 11
  • Age of Empires: 1

And that’s exactly what’s happened. We’re now looking at a top three of It Takes Two (55), Resident Evil Village (44), and Forza. As @Ruthwik_Rao said, it’s wild to see a racing game that high. Deathloop and Metroid Dread (24) are rounding out the top 5.

With any luck, Halo (currently in sixth) will manage to overtake Metroid Dread, which would give Xbox Game Studios three of the top five titles for this year. In fact, if you combine Halo’s two numbers, it’s currently tied for fifth.

1 Like

Why are people in outlets separating MP and single player of halo. Absolute fucking dumb shit.