Google Shutting Down its Stadia Game studios & Jade Raymond leaving the company

So this means Google is going all in on buying third parties? Hope MS buys Sega before Google does, assuming Sega is available.

1 Like

Google ain’t going to be buying shit.

They’re partnering for some 3rd party stuff, and mostly selling their tech.

They’re pretty much calling it quits.

4 Likes

Definitely. I took this as they basically withdrawing from the consumer space but still offering a platform for publishers and developers create their own streaming services.

Despite their posturing that they will support Stadia as a platform, I have to question that. My questions come from Google’s own hardware decisions.

Their newest hardware platform, the Google Chromecast with Google TV, is a solid piece of kit for streaming but they do not support Stadia on it.

Why would Google release a new Chromecast device and not support their very own Game Streaming platform on it? Google is promoting the hell out of it with bundles of Netflix making the cost $12 or YouTubeTV making it free, or even give them out free to YTTV subscribers before November 2019. It’s not about performance, because it has plenty, and it’s not about streaming codecs because it supports plenty. Conspiracy theorists might say it’s because they know it’s a dead product.

1 Like

It’s not much about tech but the fact that they need to work with legacy games that were made without even thinking cloud streaming would be a thing + some really outdated hardware.

And for some reason they are not even using the hardware they have available (1080p streaming is possible on S but they limit to 720p). Just upgrading the server blades to SX will provide a large boost, specially once they enable framerate doubling on bc games.

On the other hand, stadia required games specifically built for it.

Oh I see

Probably one of the easiest thing to ever predict that Google would pull the plug on gaming fairly quickly. Google cannot be trusted with consumer level products they pull the plug WAY to quick.

MS has enough competition from Nintendo, Sony, Amazon, Tencent it will be fine

I think this may be true. Either buying or making exclusive contracts. Google has a history of buying then building off what they buy.

Damn, I was just talking to a friend about that. Looks like the man is a walking titanic.

1 Like

Not a big surprise… I thought they would hold out a bit longer perhaps, at least release some exclusive games. It’s like they didn’t even try.

Platforms won’t work without your own content.

I think it was getting to be ‘put up or shut up’ time for Google. Either swing for the fences to compete with MS and go big on buyouts/investments…or don’t. It’s risky decision but I think backing down is the smarter choice for them. With buyouts they could really hurt the industry.

Google did the right decision here

To make games you need customers

( Think they stuck below 1 million )

Developing for 1 million gamer won’t be profitable

Just losing money to build a user base while 3rd party can do the job.

Stadia can go back to build its 1st party games when their user base increases in the next few years

The focus now to build a better cloud gaming experience and nothing wrong with that.

1 Like

Yes I imagine they where at a crucial point with seeing just how much MS and other companies are prepared to invest. I would’ve thought they would follow through though, should have deep enough pockets. But it takes balls I guess.

No, no, no. They need their content on all the other platforms, especially on Sony’s…

That’s obvious snark towards what some say about Microsoft’s own titles, if you couldn’t tell.

2 Likes

Ah yes of course, how could I forget!

The links I read said that Google is gonna try to find jobs for these developers within Google. So FOR NOW, there aren’t lay-offs.

Still, I wish they had sold the studios to some other publisher so they game devs could dev games.

2 Likes

I hope they’ll all find work too, and the tendency for Google, Apple, and occasionally Amazon to drop out of a sector if it’s not immediately successful is something I mentioned/predicted several months ago. On one hand, I hope it will drive studios to Xbox, Sony, or Nintendo where they’re more likely to thrive, but on the other, it’s a horrible deal for those involved and lessens the competitive push that occurs when more players are fighting for consumers’ time/money.

1 Like

RIP Google Stadia. I said it would be dead in two years from launch and damn, it didn’t even last that long. Don’t see why any gaming publisher would even waste their time, money or resources porting their games over to Stadia. SMH. Oh well.

Hoping Jade Raymond can go back to Ubisoft as all of her success has come from being there.

This is definitely a glass half full outlook for the news.