Google Shutting Down its Stadia Game studios & Jade Raymond leaving the company

Yes but we aren’t talking about ‘the industry’ of IaaS so much as a specific entity therein. MS’s plans for Game Pass and xCloud aren’t going to be built on reacting to whatever Stadia was doing. Their short-medium term plans as is are very much set in place already and are fairly rigid I’d bet.

It was more in response to people saying that Microsoft will be lacking competition without stadia, to which I’m saying they’re still competing on tech, just not game dev/publishing.

2 Likes

I’d assume they might just use PS5 servers potentially. They have a deal coming together with MS/Azure as is, but they might be able to back outta it. It’d be disastrous for their ability to stay competitive 5 yrs down the line if they had to rely on their direct competitor for their entire online infrastructure.

Phil Harrison strikes again. After Amazon Google is next in line to learn making games is really hard. But Phil already knew that, so no excuses for him

Can’t say I’m surprised, it looked as if Google weren’t fully committed to this project. So much potential too, I don’t think they even got YouTube integration working yet.

I hope all the affected developers find work soon.

1 Like

Ideally, they wouldn’t have to rely on MS, but services like azure are open for everyone and independent of Xbox. Sony chose Azure even before Amazon entered the game with Luna, so they were at that time OK with dealing with their direct competitor.

2 Likes

It’s like Phil Harrison is a bald fraud. It’s actually amazing.

Sony used to use AWS but Amazon apparently hiked prices on them, prompting them to check in with MS/Azure. Them going to MS always seemed like a tremendously stupid move on their part given the trajectory of things wrt xCloud, Game Pass and Xbox in the coming years. I know they were ok with going to MS, but it really, really, REALLY seems like a super stupid move. The kinda move you’d make if you were totally oblivious to how dramatically the industry is likely to change in the next handful of years.

1 Like

Sony seems to be pretty naive with some of those decisions. Their lack of a Gamepass/xcloud competitor screams of short sightedness, but they are stuck between wanting their hardware to be king and wanting to be everywhere. MS has already made that jump, Sony is tbd.

Yeah I kinda feel like the majority of the industry just doesn’t see what is happening and is kinda stuck in the old paradigm that Sony does so well with. Something similar happened with Nintendo’s radical decision making where nobody thought they were doing anything worth paying attention to and scoffed at their moves. Nobody does that anymore, heh.

Phil Harrison strikes again. No one can ruin something as well as Phil Harrison.

5 Likes

Hopefully the XGS studios in the Montreal and LA areas pick up some of that talent.

1 Like
2 Likes

What studios were owned by Google?

Perhaps they could sell them off to recoup loses instead of laying people off.

This sucks seeing Devs lose jobs especially right now with the pandemic

2 Likes

If you guys know any Google devs lol. Looks like @BangBangClick and @gryphonedd are a start

3 Likes

Sucks for all the devs. Google should have sold the whole studios and not just kicked them all out the door. Remember, they bought Typhoon Studios a year ago.

Oh, and Phil fuckin Harrison still has a job.

1 Like

Hope every single one of the devs find work or new owners who will appreciate their hard work and sacrifice.

What google did here was beyond shit.

They bought two studios, hired hundreds if not thousands of people, then threw in the towel after one year, leaving some people out in the cold.

People moved familes and everything. Hope everybody that’s impacted finds work quickly.

6 Likes

Well, I’m not sure which is worse. Google shutting down its first-party operation after releasing zero games, or Amazon releasing one game… which was promptly UN-released.

I’m in shock after failing with 3 different companies and Google still keeping his job while the poor developers lose their jobs during the pandemic.

1 Like