GoldenEye 007 is coming to Xbox on January 27th

Why are you scare to say Nintendo? :rofl:

Because i payed attention to this project the last 15 (fifteen!) years. And its also MGM, Activision, many Hollywood actors, …

1 Like

Yeah, Like MGM, Activision, many Hollywood actors… are gone to forced Xbox to release a 30fps version in 2023 while a version from 2007 has 60fps and better remaster graphics texture? Like what are you even talking about, it clearly Nintendo.

yes. this game is and was a license mess. its a miracle this finally ends on our consoles in its original form.

:woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

We talking technical specs here. There no reason to stop a 60fps version on the more powerful hardware lol it clearly Nintendo with forced parity.

https://screenrant.com/goldeneye-xbla-remaster-cancelled-nintendo/

It’s also Nintendo that stop the superior XBLA version from coming out, if this article is correct.

So excuse me if i don’t trust Nintendo with the way they do things.

The XBLA version would have been able to run on the Switch, at 60FPS even. I don’t think Nintendo said to not release the XBLA version.

Yes, that is something that happened… in the Wii era, but the Switch would run the XBLA version no problem.

It Nintendo who stop the original release of the XBLA version, going by the article i posted.

I’m telling you it Nintendo. Why would Xbox have this better version lock away and not release to public officially. Instead release a worst version with not even online Multi lol. This scream Nintendo doing, they are petty like that. It probably Nintendo condition to even have it release, oh well better than nothing.

The switch emulation is literally an n64 rom. Not sure what kind of version xbox one is or how they ported it

Dude you dont know Nintendo do you. Stubborn ass company who dont do things in normal ways.

2 Likes

Ah man, I remember when pause music can be so awesome. This whole week makes me kid again.

3 Likes

IIRC it was a mess, first it was the claim that Activision was stopping it because they had got the license and instead pushed for the Goldeneye remake, then it was Nintendo of Japan who refused while America accepted, then Danjaq/Brocolli was the issue as they still had to get their approval in the credits.

1 Like

Honestly, it’s a miracle that we got what we got.

5 Likes

Yeah Nintendo just wanted to do this the easiest / laziest / cheapest way possible: dump the ROM onto NSO. It might also get some people to upgrade to the Expansion Pass.

1 Like

Been playing for the past 3 hours and it’s pretty grim if I’m being honest. Better than nothing though. Even at the time the N64 games looked rough… Nostalgic :smile:

2 Likes

I’m sorry to say, but this port is awful. They should’ve used that unreleased xbox360 one or left the game in the past imo.

1 Like

The Xbox version is also an emulated ROM with the emulator doing some custom replacements/injections. Code Mystics does that a lot.

2 Likes

No.

I will never understand why some people want to have less options.

It’s not awful its actually ok but, knowing there a better version from 2007 hurts though. If that 2007 version did not exist than this version would have been no issues, but since it does, yeah… Nintendo is to blame here IMO.

1 Like

It’s actually not clear if the 2007 version would have ever been legally viable. The new graphics mode, for example, did not have any of the original actor likenesses.

I’ve brainstormed this elsewhere here on XBERA but I suspect the only way they could avoid having to rework all the licensing was to basically re-release the original game, and it’s possible this is basically considered more copies of the N64 version in terms of the original contracts.

This is also likely why MS didn’t extend copies to physical Rare Replay - they would have had to pay the Bond royalty to MGM for every physical copy of Rare Replay ever sold. Digital was likely both cheaper and easier for them to keep track of. It was mentioned a long time ago on Rare Witch Project that MGM/EON did not do “royalties on sale”, they did “royalties on manufacture” so MGM/EON made all their royalty money off Goldeneye before the game even officially sold it’s first copy.

The rest of the issues (no online) is due to how MS set up their N64 emulator and their backend for emulated releases. FWIW the 2007 version’s online was going to have forced splitscreen and would have likely been identical to how it works on NSO (just with matchmaking)

2 Likes

You make some great points. Like i said before, it’s better than having nothing while also could have been a lot better. It is what it is.

1 Like