GoldenEye 007 is coming to Xbox on January 27th

Like riding a bike

gonna 100% the cheevs for this in no time

3 Likes

I’m enjoying playing through it. Performance isn’t great but whatevs.

1 Like

Lucikly theres family plan for that shit and i got added on by my cousin last year. Not in a million years i would pay for that and n64 is my fav console of all time. Still waiting on so msny hidden n64 gems unavailable.

1 Like

I finished the story. First playthrough since I was like 10 lol. This game is actually a little bit older than me, but I had a hand me down N64 back in the day (still have it!)

The later half set of levels aged like sour milk under the scorching hot sun :sweat_smile:

But the first half does hold up(ish) and I had a lot of fun reliving this game

4 Likes

Yeah, even back in the day, the back half of Goldeneye (and Perfect Dark) just become run and gun corridors, and doesn’t have the charm of the first half of the “puzzle level with guns” design. But I guess that’s what happens when you spent a ton of time on the early levels in design and then go “oh crap, we have to finish this game”

I also always thought it was interesting that Rare actually built the levels of Goldeneye first before figuring out the actual level design. They were allowed on the sets/locations and took pictures/video and references and went back to Twycross and build them out as 3D models. Then they figured out how to make them work as game levels later. It’s why a lot of the levels that are directly in the movie feel so built out like a real location… because they were.

1 Like

If only this was a proper remaster in 4K, top notch performance it would have been so sweet. I don’t really get why they didn’t improve framerate at all?

In the Dam mission I noticed plenty framedrops already, I find it quite unfortunate. Would absolutely not have paid money for it, sorry.

Was that 2007 game ever finished or what’s the whole deal there? And if yes, is this just Nintendo blocking it then?

Back then it was Nintendo and a bunch of others. That Goldeneye remaster would neve have ran on a Wii.

No sure why they don’t release both for Switch/Xbox now.

I’m sort of done with this version. Gonna wait on the remaster because I feel like if they can release THIS version surely they can release the remaster. That remaster would easily run and look great on Switch. The Perfect Dark Remaster ran 1080p 60FPS flawlessly on 360.

1 Like

Does the diagonal running thing work on Xbox?!

Yes, I do it all the time. The only thing that currently doesn’t work on Xbox is leaning due to how they internally remapped the controls; hopefully they can fix that

Do note that straferunning has always been harder on the Halo style default sticks. I use Legacy (Left stick is turn and move back and forth, right stick is strafe and look up/down, it’s Goldeneye’s original control schem and why it’s called Legacy, lol) so all I have to do strafe run is push the left stick up with a slight tilt and slam the right stick right or left and i’m strafe running. With the Halo style default it’s a little more difficult to get into the sweet spot since you’re trying to do it with just the left stick alone, but can be done. I personally find it difficult myself to do it with default sticks.

edit: here, for shiggles, me straferunning on Runway with controls overlaid.

2 Likes

I’m bad at this game, can’t beat the ‘Bunker 2’ level lmao

I beat the game this morning in 00 agent. Aside from the shitty train level it was pretty easy.

Id advise anyone to only pkay on 00 agent. Easy mode gives you basic level missions and is oretty much point a to b and done. You miss out on some pretty neat missions and levels become mire interesting. Plus with xbox controler its easy anyway. Only level i died several times was that awful train level because lets throw rsndom enemies behind you on a super linesr level lol

1 Like

Then after you finish it on 00 Agent you unlock 007 mode, then crank everything up and beat it that way (and cry)

1 Like

Nah im good.

1 Like

fair enough

The endlessly respawning enemies gave me a lot of trouble even on Secret Agent. Better to throw knives and karate chop your way stealthy most of the time.

For some reason I beat it on my first try in 00 Agent on Switch lmao

1 Like

Trying to figure out what you need to do for certain objectives or quite frankly just finding the damn objectives in many cases is such a pain in the ass

I certainly don’t yearn for design like this to come back despite many games having the opposite problem being too hand holdy

1 Like

I think it’s just the technical limitations of the time. The obtuse ones that come to mind are installing the modem in a tiny screen on the Dam level.

1 Like