God of War 5 might be cross gen

It’s simply nice to be an Xbox fans and be able to ask questions and give opinions without being banned for simply being an Xbox fan that is for sure. I feel the exact same way of those other places and glad they got exposed for what we all knew they were to begin with.

2 Likes

Jesus. The more Jim Ryan speaks the worse it all gets.

1 Like

I feel this is actually great news. There are 100M+ PS4s kicking about, and it would be a shame not to have them have a chance at playing it also.

Extra profit for them, and saves people worrying about having to buy a PS5 for a bit longer, too.

This was on my personal watch list - I was scared it would be PS5 only because I can’t see myself being able to afford one for a few years after the XSX purchase.

The biggest driver of this will be supply… if they are still behind and not meeting the demand for PS5s, it would make more sense to be cross gen. It’s clear both companies are behind and they don’t want software sales to struggle due to a lack of hardware availability.

Overall - this is a good thing. People just want to be able to say a game is exclusive to justify their purchase in hardware. It’s honestly pretty lame.

Of course it is :). But fanboys kept pushing it as a “mistake”, forgetting the amount of consoles out there and that normal families, that don’t have parents that are in this hobby, don’t just buy a console at launch. So it’s a great thing to do. Just the whining about “this holding back nextgen”, was so tiresome for many.

Please do not attack or generalise communities/fans who prefer other platforms. There are always extremes but their behaviour shouldn’t be applied and identified to the whole group of people.

This is a good thing overall. They have 100+ million PS4s in the wild and the PS5 will be in short supply throughout most, if not all, of next year.

We believe in generations**

**Starting in 2023

2 Likes

Lyin’ Ryan

4 Likes

From the looks of it, projects that aren’t gonna be selling gangbusters are being made exclusive to the PS5 for the first two years because it just makes sense. That’s why Ratchet is exclusive, but Miles was not. Spiderman is a big seller. I won’t even be surprised if GT7 comes to PS4 as well. GT games actually sell a lot more than people think, perhaps even more than the blockbuster ones. They know the consoles will get sold out no matter what in the launch period, so their goal would be maximise game sales and that’s done by well, not ignoring their 110+ million ps4 userbase.

So yeah, no surprise that Horizon is cross gen, and wouldn’t be surprised if GoWR will be cross gen as well.

I just dont see God of war 2 coming next year, despite the footageless trailer saying so. With the lack of any gameplay, id go as far as to say even 2022 sounds like a stretch. I cannot see them releasing crossgen titles in 2022, especially if the competiton plans to start publishing exclusivly to next gen

I’d argue God of War’s wide world approach was a strength and in some ways, being “constrained” to last gen game design could be a good thing for many gamers. I for one don’t want to see it go open world or stray too much from it’s formula. Thats the one thing I believe gets lost sometimes in this “last gen will hold things back” narrative. I go back and play 360 games like Ninja Gaiden, Splinter Cell and Dead Space and want those games re-created with better graphics. Graphics do scale. Game design less so. Sometimes limiting game design options feels like a good thing. Not in all cases. I do want to see innovation in AI, physics, dynamic worlds etc…but that stuff doesn’t benefit every game. God of War is one such case.

2 Likes

Yep, that is one hell of a cheap package that the PS5 comes in. I got one for my kid’s birthday coming up, and am afraid that the sucker will not power on, when he opens it first week of December…

The box looks sound, apart from some slightly crushed corners.

1 Like