Gears 5 RT reflection? (Nope! see pics)

But what makes “good” lighting and textures? There are better imitations and simulations of light in our reality, but say for example our reality is a simulation and its creators only have it on medium settings :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I don’t think GT7 looks all that great. And I don’t want hyper realism because its stylised rubbish. Especially for a racing game. The best looking game this gen, hands down is RDR2 for me. Nothing else comes close.

Ah ah! We’re on medium settings for sure ! And HDR is on but underutilized imo !! :wink:

I think lighting is a key point right now. Devs were amazed by the UE PS5 demo because of the dynamic lighting and RT. Artists will have to fake less things with RT, but it doesn’t make the games look good.

See, AC Unity which looks insane still today. John Linemann noted that the game didn’t use dynamic time of day, so everything is tailored made with the best possible lighting, so you’re always playing at golden hour with the sun setting at the right angle.

Spiderman use the same technic.

I like dynamic time of day better, but it’s a double edge sword. It could make everything looks flat…like real life…

And then you have RDR2 which is pure art all the time.

Sorry, I’m rambling! Lighting = important. But also artists ! Good artists ! Games are art in the sense that they are a representation of reality, like a painting, but they are only an interpretation of reality, so it’s always flawed.

I agree completely if the perfect replica of reality is the goal, my point is though real life does not equal better.

Its like saying a photograph of a woman is better then some modern art potrait of the woman. However this conversation is probably to needlessly deep for some.

1 Like

Yeah. I’m with you. It’s why painters struggled when photography began to eat their lunch more than a hundred years ago. And then they had to innovate and create different styles to stay relevant. In a way, it made them more creative.

I think it’s kind of funny how RDR2 graphics are inspired and imitate paintings from that era.

No you 're not alone. I will play it again once it is optimized for XSX and the supposed DLC is available.

Well said!

An unrealistic image of a castel will still look better then a realistic image of a junkyard.

This is why resolution and framerate talk is only good for hardware comparision.

A platform can’t be judged this way.

Marvel’s movies may only come out in 1080p but they will still gather more attention then 4k DC movies.

Technology can only provide options - but a good game still needs to be made.

Agreed with the golden hour!

2 Likes