Gaming to help with Depression/Anxiety

No problem.

If you need any pointers just post in the Yakuza OT. Good conversation in there at all times.

The games do not exactly hand-hold new starters but it is well worth getting into.

Enjoy.

1 Like

No bother at all.

I can honestly say that right now, mentally, Iā€™m the healthiest that Iā€™ve ever been. Regularly talking over my problems with friends or family (&, crucially, listening to & if possible trying to help with their problems) is without a doubt the single most important part of my mental wellbeing.

ā€œMisery hates companyā€ is the old saying. Yeah, itā€™s true because even a little bit of camaraderie can lift the deepest gloom. Weā€™re all in this thing together.

1 Like

I am glad you are doing really well atm mate keep it up, nice to see some people recovering from such a bad mental state, it can be inspiring. Stay Safe

2 Likes

I will thank you!

2 Likes

I just want to say that having suicidal thoughts is symptomatic. It is NOT normal, or a mood or a type of personnality. It really is like a disease. It has been discovered recently that when suicidal persons think about themselves, the thoughts are associated with death. Itā€™s like wires crossed in the brain that make the association more and more proeminent. But it can be prevented like any disease, by going to therapy or breaking that association with positive thinking, etc. We have to be aware of that, because it could happen to anyone.

Itā€™s stupid but sometimes, I write emails without sending them. The process of putting my thoughts together on a screen is enough to wash away my anxiety. Ruminating too much is not good, we also need to act and to keep going. Small things like writing, drawing, making something, even the smallest things helps the mind a lot. We really have to take care of ourselves, but we often forget that our own mind needs care too with cat videos or anything you like ! Having a small project is also vital. Find your thing, what works for you, but begin small.

And yeah, videogames helped me a lot. I mean really a lot. And they still do. Xbox/Halo is something dear to me.

3 Likes

Gaming has helped me a ton through my own battles with Depression and Anxiety, especially over lockdown.

Iā€™ve found playing Jackbox to be very cathartic, and Rune Factory 4 on Switch/3DS is a delight. I also reviewed two games for work called Sinkr and Sinkr 2 that are cheap, engaging and calming yet still brain teasing puzzle games.

Iā€™ve sent a DM with a bit more detail. Feel free to contact me any time.

2 Likes

Yep, getting over that first hurdle and opening up has helped me. I should be the most stressed Iā€™ve ever been, but I feel free for the first time I can remember.

Also :green_heart: to Steve :slight_smile:

@JAMIE_ODST Jamie, Jamieā€¦ flower!

If you want something daft that will make you grin like an Idiot download the fuser demo, right now Abrufen FUSERā„¢ Demo | Xbox Iā€™ve been having such a blast with it this evening. colourful and fun.

3 Likes

Oh I have seen some Ads on fuser and was not aware it had a demo, Iā€™ll give it a download cheers!

it is AMAZING! Jamie! AMAZING! Jamie its AMAZING :slight_smile:

Amazing Season 6 GIF by Bachelor in Paradise

2 Likes

@JAMIE_ODST sorry for the late reply but I hope youā€™re doing OK. I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety a couple years ago, so while Iā€™m not an expert, I do feel for you. So many awesome responses in this thread, but Iā€™ll reiterate exercise or walking is a great way to burn off some anxiety or worries. I also make sure to have some awesome music, likely from the 80s or 90s, so I donā€™t get lost in my own thoughts alone.

As for gaming. Yakuza is a great suggestion! They are light hearted, good fun with some silly Japanese humor. Also as usual, multiplayer with some friends is always a good time. Feel free to add me to Live, my GT is Kage Maru. Would be down to play some time.

Last, this goes without saying but please donā€™t hesitate to reach out via DM if you ever need someone to talk to

6 Likes

Now that I think of Botw is a wonderful game to loose yourself in.

3 Likes

Hey Kage thank you for the advice I agree so many kind hearted people in this thread I am overwhelmed.

Funny enough I literally tried chilling with Music yesterday and it did wonders :slight_smile:

We are already friends on Live my dude from when I talk to you in your stream chat! Iā€™m JayNxtGen :stuck_out_tongue:

Be awesome to play some Halo or something sometime!

Honestly man I DM you when I had COVID and you gave me a ton of well wishes which was more then enough but Iā€™ll keep it in mind.

Thank you my friend #DreamcastEra

3 Likes

Try full throttle. Itā€™s a classic old school adventure game by tim schafer. Itā€™s got Mark Hamill playing the bad guy. I found it very fun.

Battletoads is a fairly simple beat em up, but the story plays out like one of those self aware cartoons from the 90s. Very funny.

2 Likes

Ooo that sounds awesome cheers dude!

So much this! Since I started doing it almost a year ago, things changed quickly for me. During the lockdown, I was so into working, that eventually negatively reflected on my mental health. Now I canā€™t imagine an evening without going out for a walk. Few podcasts and playlists are always in rotation for listening. Yes, games can help, but little time spending outside with yourself can do much much more.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll keep this in mind and make it a habit! Thank you for the advice :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just wanted to pop in here and suggest something like Slay the Spire. I guess it is considered a Rougelike, w/ cards as the means to attack/defend (deck building RPG-ish). It is a simple on the surface game that you can play in stints.

2 Likes

I like Rogue likes so Iā€™ll give it a look! Thanks bud

It doesnā€™t look like much, but the gameplay works.

1 Like

Now that the thread has died down I just wanted to say thank you to everyone on the forums and the staff for the suggestions on Video Games and Mental Health including members suffering themselves. I was overwhelmed with everyone reaching out and it really brought my spirits up a little.

I will try most if not all the advice given in the coming weeks and appreciate everyone who took the time to tell me there methods of dealing with it.

Iā€™ll try to be strong

Love you all - Jay

8 Likes