Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames!

Thinking further along this it might be the text for FPS boost in the dash simply means that games with dynamic resolution can run at their lower bounds more often than in 30fps mode. This seems logical with only half the frame time.

When running the 60fps mod with FO4, I had to run a couple of other mods to get a locked 60fps, so it would make sense that with only fps boost at 4k it doesnt run a consistent 60fps. However with Skyrim, the fps boost runs better than the 60fps mod, so its all a bit weird, when both use the same engineā€¦

FPS Boost is being handled specifically by Jasonā€™s team though. Heā€™s in charge of the hardware and BC teams.

3 Likes

Yes but iirc James also works on that team himself (he is intricately involved with the DX engineering side of things, which is how the FPS boost is implemented). And since others online claim to have gotten around the issue, there surely is something amiss here.

2 Likes

Update: @KageMaru

2 Likes

Weā€™re definitely seeing the One S profile in those cases, so makes sense. That is very far from a slight reduction in resolution though so it doesnā€™t match up with earlier statements. If this is what they meant (rather than small reduction at the driver level), they should have just said that. ā€œThe game will use One S profiles in those instances where 60 FPS cannot be achieved with the One X profileā€ wouldā€™ve been very straightforward messaging.

1 Like

He could still be right in some ways. Iā€™m definitely open to it being one way or the other

2 Likes

Hoping it is resolved either way. Gotta admit the buzz around these games lately got me wanting to jump back in with mods on.

Follow up video covering Fallout 4 FPS Boost in 4K mode. Thanks @Boosted_Gear for letting me know about the tweet!

4 Likes

Uh oh @ProgStopper @ElPutoXD

We may have to edit the list

3 Likes

Thats a little off as PS5 is checkerboarding, where it interlaces every other pixel from the previous frame. The resulting image looks substantially better than the raw numbers indicate, but its not the same quality as native higher resolution. Using those numbers specified, the 3840x1836 is 70% more than 1920x2160.

Donā€™t drag me into this shit.

Iā€™d recommend waiting for more official counts. Heā€™s been wrong in the past.

1 Like

He is definitely correct about the PS5 version as thatā€™s a checkboarded full 4k.

X is suspect. I definitely donā€™t trust his drs stuff.

But from the video itā€™s a clear win for the X in visual fidelity.

1 Like
  • Series X is pushing a 70% higher resolution. The difference is very perceivable to the naked eye, apparently.

• Series X has a higher draw distance (making objects and characters far away more detailed).

• Frame rate is pretty much the same even though Series X has much better graphics. Biggest frame drops on the X are to 58 FPS which is not perceivable. PS5 drops to 58 or around that too; again, not perceivable.

• Some Resetera users say PS5ā€™s performance mode looks really blurry compared to the Xā€™s, canā€™t certify that myself (I have a PS5 and an XSX but I only have Avengers for the Xbox). It makes sense, though, resolution is almost half (7 million pixels vs 4 million pixels).

• Loading times are between 0.5 and 2 seconds faster on PS5.

A Resetera user says something I hadnā€™t thought about:

ā€œI always expected this to be a ā€˜best caseā€™ for the Series X vs. PS5. The screen is flooded with alpha transparencies which effectively makes it a benchmark for memory bandwidth at times and this is where the Series X has the greatest advantage vs. PS5.ā€

This was also part of the reason Hitman 3 was so much better on the X than on PS5, IIRC.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s approx 3 million more pixels or say 70% more pixels on series X.

Letā€™s wait for final words from DF.

1 Like

Even if their numbers are correct thereā€™s a gigantic difference in image quality at the video. SX 60fps mode looks compared to the 30fps one, PS5 looks much blurrier.

And itā€™s pushing that with higher settings to boot.

I guess we can now safely say that even if the delta isnā€™t as big as itā€™s going to be yet, we are reachinga point where every game will have a substantial advantage for SX.

And loading times delta are around 1s difference, also a very good showing for SX considering how this is still without using SFS (but apparently they are using a lot of the next gen IO apis on both)

3 Likes

LOL, I will take higher resolution and detail over a 1.34 second loading time advantage every single time. These loading times on next gen hardware are already amazing, so that type of difference isnā€™t even going to be noticeable.

6 Likes

One is 1836p and the other is 2160p, but the first has an advantage? I donā€™t get it, lol. What is the difference between a vertical and horizontal rescale?